Sponsored By:

Unexpectedly became a first time Porsche owner. 2013 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 AM
shredical1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Unexpectedly became a first time Porsche owner. 2013 Cayenne S

Accidentally walked into owning a 2013 Porsche Cayenne S. Day before new year's eve, my father in law to be called and asked if I was serious about buying his whip as he had mentioned wanting to upgrade his to the newest model on Christmas day.

Me and my fiancee' were hemming nad hawing about fitting the ride into our budget ever since. But things got real, well real fast. He asked if I was able to make it work into my budget or not. I asked how much he wanted. He said KBB value and quoted me a number. I said, done.
And just like that having only ever driven his car once back in August 2018, i had agreed to buy his car.

He traded in his 2001 SL600 V12 instead for a eye watering 10,000$ and leased out a brand new 2019 Cayenne in white.

The next day, i signed the papers, handed him a check and drove his "old" 2013 Cayenne S with exactly 50,000 miles over with an overwhelming awestruck smile, home. This basically replaces my 1996 Outback with 225k miles (already sold for 3000$ which I found rather amusing and indicative of how PNW folks appraise subarus). I had been tottering about in the subaru for the last 6 years and aside from my boosted FR-S and a used Acura TL, this is easily the most sophisticated car I've had the privilege of being behind the cockpit. Am chuffed to say the least!

Here's the details I could pull based on the VIN regarding the configuration.

Would love to hear about any maintenance issues i should look into. I know my father in law did all the necessary mandatory services. It still has one year of platinum coverage on the

A couple of things I have already noticed:
1> the 20 inch wheels with the pirelli scorpion verde isn't so great in the PNW weather. Not very confidence inspiring when cold and wet out under braking. Anyone else find this to be true as well? The tires only have 4k miles on them.
2> Would love to get a second winter setup now taht my beater outback has been replaced. Was thinking 18 or 19 inch wheels , am just not sure which 18/19 inch wheels would fit to clear the calipers. Here's one set I was looking athttps://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/wto/d/portland-porsche-5xwheels/6785861781.html ] https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...785861781.html

3> how involved if changing brake pads on this platform? I've done them before on my outback and my FR-S. is it of similar complexity?
4> If I were to stick to 20 inch wheels for winter setup, can I run 275/55 20 without any clearance or rubbing issues? Was looking at General Grabber Arctic tires. If not, was planning on going with the Blizzaks
Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice build on that S, I've seen some GTS in that MSRP range.

I just got a GTS myself, same year and they are amazing!

As far as your questions:

1. I would look into an all season tire, Conti DWS is good for allseason work. I had them on my previous X5 and they did well in the snow, though not as well as a snow set would have.
2. I'm not sure about S brakes but I know for GTS/Turbo I believe they have to be 19" and bigger. You might be able to fit 18s on that ride though.
3. not sure I'll let someone else answer this.
4. Not unless you do a lift to the air ride you have with Durametric or Icarscan. Biggest tires that will fit are around 31" from what I have read. Another size for 20" would be 265/50r20 Nittos or maybe a 265/55 sized tire. I wouldn't go any bigger than that. 275/55 are I think about 32 inchs.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:53 PM
shredical1
Advanced

Yeah, if I had gone out deliberately looking for a 958, i'd have waited for a GTS. But for 23k, I can't complain. And congrats on your GTS!

1. planning on a dedicated winter and summer setup. But I have had good experience with the Conti DWS. Run the extreme contact sport on the FR-S for summer.
2. 19s I can definitely do. I would love to see if someone who has already tried it if those wheels i linked would fit or not.
4. Gotcha. I'll stick to the OEM size tire if i went 20s then. Blizzaks it would have to be then.

Here's a pic of the car.

Last edited by shredical1; 01-10-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! I too drove away when I picked up my GTS with a huge smile on my face
Old 01-10-2019, 08:03 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice pick up. Very nice build.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice score, plus so great you know the history so no surprises.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Those wheels, what size are they? Because RS Spyders in platinum aren't all that common. They were an added-cost option. Hang on to those, or at least know their value if you plan on selling them.

I've got 19" Pirelli Winter Scorpion tires on platinum factory Sport Classic 2 rims for my '17 GTS, and have been pleased with them. There is a detectable handling change going from my all-season 20" Eagle LS2/RS Spyders (in GTS-only black). Not enough to be annoying (or 'bad') but when temps rise above 45F the taller sidewall and winter rubber compound don't provide the same handling at the all-seasons.

Be prepared for ownership expenses. These aren't inexpensive vehicles to own.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 PM
shredical1
Advanced

Originally Posted by 140.6er
Nice pick up. Very nice build.
Originally Posted by Steve48
Nice score, plus so great you know the history so no surprises.
Thanks guys..

Yeah looks like I will definitely need to do a front brake job in the next 3-4000 miles.
Checking to see if these Brembos are direct replacements. If not.. will just grab OEM blanks and new sensors. Brake fluid change looks straight forward as well.

https://frsport.com/brembo-09-a062-11-disc-brake-rotor

https://frsport.com/brembo-p65027n-disc-brake-pad

Mobil1 3309 for ATF fluid change. About time to drain and fill it.

Redline for the diffs.
https://frsport.com/redline-58305-ea...r-oil-1-gallon

Ravenol Transfer fluid to replace the "lifetime" fluid to stave off any TC issues.

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Those wheels, what size are they? Because RS Spyders in platinum aren't all that common. They were an added-cost option. Hang on to those, or at least know their value if you plan on selling them.

I've got 19" Pirelli Winter Scorpion tires on platinum factory Sport Classic 2 rims for my '17 GTS, and have been pleased with them. There is a detectable handling change going from my all-season 20" Eagle LS2/RS Spyders (in GTS-only black). Not enough to be annoying (or 'bad') but when temps rise above 45F the taller sidewall and winter rubber compound don't provide the same handling at the all-seasons.

Be prepared for ownership expenses. These aren't inexpensive vehicles to own.

Oh no.. i don't plan on selling the 20 inch RS spyder wheels. They'll be my dedicated late spring/summer set.

I picked up the 19 inch prior gen porsche wheels. 9 X19 ET60 spec. Test fitted before buying, clears calipers and doesn't have any issues rubbing up against any suspension components.

Ordered a set of 265/50/19 Nokian Hakkpelitta R3 tires for them which will be the dedicated winter set.

Aye, i fully expect this car to come with the porsche price tag of part costs and service costs.

Need to check what the rest of the maintenance schedule looks like for the next 40-50k miles.
Anyone have alink to a service manul for this?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by shredical1
Anyone have alink to a service manul for this?
I'd suggest AllDATADIY - it's cheap and has the specific info for your model/year. The PDF service manuals found on Ebay are 11,000 pages of repetitive stuff - and take forever to find the specific section for your vehicle. Porsche repeated every procedure for EVERY variant of the Cayenne - ie - base, diesel, each gas model, hybrid - so there is a lot of stuff to wade through - and no really decent index. Probably worth having so you can check a few things AllData may not cover in depth - but AllData took the manual and sorted it out per year/model - and what you see will be specific to your car. There are often deals to be found on the AllDataDIY membership - a quick Google should turn up a deal less than $15/annually.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:12 PM
shredical1
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'd suggest AllDATADIY - it's cheap and has the specific info for your model/year. The PDF service manuals found on Ebay are 11,000 pages of repetitive stuff - and take forever to find the specific section for your vehicle. Porsche repeated every procedure for EVERY variant of the Cayenne - ie - base, diesel, each gas model, hybrid - so there is a lot of stuff to wade through - and no really decent index. Probably worth having so you can check a few things AllData may not cover in depth - but AllData took the manual and sorted it out per year/model - and what you see will be specific to your car. There are often deals to be found on the AllDataDIY membership - a quick Google should turn up a deal less than $15/annually.

Thanks for the info on alldatadiy. subscribed.

Was able to secure the full service details on the car.

Looks like mainly two coolant warning lights, a transfer case replacement and a CEL for a crank sensor.

How concerned should i be here now :P

Last edited by shredical1; 02-07-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I'd keep a close eye on the coolant. The transfer case should be OK. The coolant has several possible leak points - a bit of searching will turn them up. One is at the rear of the engine in a coolant manifold with a glued in pipe that comes unglued. The other is the thermostat housing at the front of the engine which has 2 glued in pipes. They come unglued. The replacements for these use bolted in and threaded fittings. They can leak slightly for a long time before failure - but the cooling system should NOT use any coolant, it's a sealed system. Any coolant loss means there is a leak somewhere. So - keep an eye on the coolant level. It should be about 3/4" below the top of the reservoir when cold. It was surprising to me - but there is no coolant level mark on the reservoir, at least on my '11 CTT.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
shredical1
Advanced

Thanks for the insight!

Will certainly keep an eye on the coolant.

Is there a particular diagnostic tool that is recommended for this platform to be able to pull codes and perform and service interval resets?
I was looking at this one..
Amazon Amazon

For maintenance, i've got a brake job coming up here soon. Measured the rotors at 35mm, but pads are about 3-4k miles from going out. But figured i'd do the following along with the front pads and rotors:
  • Front brakes and rotors and fluid (zimmerman rotors, pagid pads, OEM sensors and hardware, ATE type 200 DOT4)
  • Transfer case fluid drain and fill (Ravenol J1C1125 Transfer Case Fluid TF-0870 )..just to stay on the safe side since its been about 20k miles since they switched it out.
  • Differential fluid drain and fill front and rear (Motul 300 75W90)
  • OIl and filter change (Motul 8100Xcess 5W40 and OEM filter). Dealership has been using 0W40 Mobil 1 so far.
  • drain the cowl and other water/debris catch areas. am told that water damage can be an issue if this isn't done especially on models with panoramic roofs
Figure i'll do all this come end of April when i rotate back on to summer tires, and also in time for an oil change on the car.

Should be good after that till 70k miles (other than 7500 mile oil changes) when i'll need to consider spark plugs and maybe air filters/cabin filter.

I need to next figure out how to jack up this car, especially given the air suspension. Have the 3 ton jack from Costco and some craftsman 3 ton jack stands that i use for my FR-S. I gather the jacking points are unlike the FR-S and there might not be pinch points to use the craftsman jack stands on?.

This is a massive step up from my old steed of 7 years, a 1996 subaru outback beater that had ticked over 22k miles with over 260k miles on the motor!

I am truly enjoying driving this car
Old 01-18-2019, 02:59 PM
shredical1
Advanced

after seeing twodollardoug's ATF fluid at 60k miles.. i just pushed an order through with Sonnen for the following:

With the brakes, Motul 8100 5W40 (engine), Motul 300 75W90 (diff) and ATF fluid, a good 900$ worth of parts..damn!

Jobs at hand
Front brake pads and rotors and fluid (zimm rotors, pagid pads, pex sensors)
Diff fluid changes
Transmission Fluid and filter (going to go with Ravenol or Febi for the fluid)
Transfer Case fluid (Ravenol)
Engine Oil and filter (gonna switch to 7500 mile services instead of 10k miles)

Should give me a good baseline.

Now I just need to decide on a good diagnostic tool to reset intervals and read ATF sump temp and codes. ICarScan or Durometric enthusiast?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by shredical1
Now I just need to decide on a good diagnostic tool to reset intervals and read ATF sump temp and codes. ICarScan or Durometric enthusiast?
I own both. I use iCarScan (it lives in the car actually..)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 PM
shredical1
Advanced

is it possible to fit a factory POrsche Sports exhuast on the Cayenne S despite it not having the button that pipes the sound into the cabin like in the GTS?

I figure the muffler itself should be a straight bolt on and weld/clamp in lieu of the stock exhuast?

Quick Reply: Unexpectedly became a first time Porsche owner. 2013 Cayenne S