Sponsored By:

50,000 mile, 2016 diesel review

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 50,000 mile, 2016 diesel review

I'm coming down off another glorious drive in the 16 diesel. The Cayenne should really be named, "What a nice driving and towing little truck."

Why do you always call it a truck?

I say it is because the agency who classifies the vehicles here in the good old U. S. of A., calls it. It is classified as a light truck. I say its a truck because there is nothing else out there that I'd rather tow a 7,000 lbs boat and trailer with or, right around 3,000 lbs worth of Aluminum dirtbike, snowbike, snowmobile, ice skating/hockey, skiing, fun year-round carrier, than the Cayenne Diesel.

I now have right around 100,000 miles total with both a Gen 1 3.0L Turbocharged, Intercooled, V6 engine from Volkswagen and Porsche and I will say, there is a damned good reason as to why the Volkswagen Auto Group/VAG did what they did for the 3.0L V6 diesel engines. Because, they, are, so, darned, good. Suffice it to say, I think that the last 3.0L diesel has been made by VAG and it does not bother me in the least.

I was able to thoroughly enjoy right around 50,000 miles in a 2012 Touareg TDI. I am not a fan of the looks of the 958 at all. The front is so so, but the back is tough, really tough, to look at. Thank goodness for the 2015 facelift and butt re-do. The 2012 Touareg was about perfect, until it was verified that it was going back to VW. The Gen1 3.0L V6 TurboDiesel ran flawlessly for me. I would have been happy to have kept that truck until it was not worth keeping and it would also have been worth putting every cent into replacing whatever might have needed replacement in 250,000 to 300,000 miles as the entire truck is worthy. There is no doubt in my mind about how good these trucks will last in the long run and for the money, the Treg TDI is a winner. My wife has a 2015 Touareg and has put 50,000 miles on it in 4 years this March and it too, has been nothing short of excellence. I get in and drive it and it still feels like the day we drove 250 miles to get the only black with a cornsilk interior in a 250 mile radius.

Now, onto the Cayenne. The Cayenne, at least first with the looks of the 2015+, it looks are only bested by the 2019 nextGen Cayenne. I'm still not the biggest fan of how Cayenne's look, but 2015+ are the only ones I can stomach at all. Where the Cayenne Diesel shines in is how it runs. Again. The motor in the diesel Cayenne is a treat. Smooth. Quiet. It has all the power I need or want, either driving by myself on the highway or backroads on snow covered roads with 19" like new winter snow tires, or towing the same 7,000 boat/trailer or 7x19' enclosed v-nose trailer, the little diesel can tow and get from 13 mpg towing 7,000 lbs to 16 mpg towing the 3,000 lb enclosed trailer. Not bad mpg when towing. Not bad at all.

As I don't care much for powering around the streets like I did when I got my first and only Corvette in 2009. My fast car phase has been on pause since I had traded in a G8 GT and the Tundra I had at the time for the Touareg. I have never really wanted any more power than the diesel already has so power is not the issue, nor is it the highlight of the diesel engine. What makes the engine so nice is the 400 foot pounds of torque that the engine has, anytime and every time I ever summon or want it. 400 foot pounds of torque is modern day V8 Hemi/5.7L Toyota Eight Cylinder TORQUE. Couple the sweet-sweet torque with a perfectly matched 8 speed transmission and with Sport Mode on, or in must regular, every day driving-mode, anytime I have dipped into the pedal, the truck just up and gets going. The feeling of it being so effortless and with very little sound is, for me, intoxicating for the lack of a better word to describe how nice it is.

Rubber-band-like is another good one for how springy the diesel engine feels when pressed to work. Then, there is the whole chassis and how the "Porsche" handles when it is time to do what Porsche's do and that is handle and brake, and to control and be controlled. This is what makes this little truck so great. That the truck does not feel like a truck or an SUV-as so many like to call it, it feels like a big-assed, taller sportscar. A big GT or Grand Tourer. There is a good reason why Porsche has sold so many Cayenne's and why, it makes me so very happy every-time someone new gets on and reports that they got a Cayenne Diesel. They have found the most incredible truck for an equally incredible price, all the while being able to get some 30 miles per gallon of diesel fuel on the highway when driving easily from 55 to 65 miles per hour.

The diesel gets incredible, brag about it on the internet- miles per gallon. Even tonight, able to cruise at 85-90 mph, I had averaged 26 to 27 mpg, in a truck that can carry 5 people and enough crap in the hatch to make looking out the back of the truck from the inside, impossible. On the way home last weekend, over 125 miles and averaging just over 70 mpg, the computer called out 30 mpg. 30 mpg from a modified VAG software program that they gave me right around $10,0000 for and I have to report back to them in this post that I can't tell a damn thing as to what they did to the engine and a big, Thank You for the rebate. Winning the largest motor vehicle lottery in the history of the world has been the best consumer experience I will ever have in my lifetime. Thank you VAG. You let me drive and use a diesel Touareg and when you were ready, you paid me a little more to put me in to a new 2016 Cayenne Diesel, just the way I wanted it. Thank you.

Lets see. What are the other little things that the Cayenne has that make it so nice to have for both towing and just tearing up and down the highways, either alone, with friends, or with family, for 100+ mile trips. I talked about how nice the motor is. How economical and well it runs along with the transmission. How nice and thick the steering wheel is and the scroll wheel for the volume. IT is so much better than buttons for volume. Thank you Porsche for the scroll wheel and not the buttons like Touareg had chosen.

I have learned to embrace the AUTO-feature on the climate control. No more fiddling with the fan or where I wanted the fans to blow, instead, I have just left the temp at 69, press and leave the AUTO on and I never deal with the climate control again. It makes is just so easy. I had found that when we went up and back during last weekends trip, she never bothered to touch any of the climate controls and just left the AUTO on 69 for the entire 250 mile round trip that took right around 4 hours up and back to make.

Heated and cooled front seats have been nice and my boy likes the option to warm up his seat back as he is only 55 lbs and still in a booster-seat. I will never take heated, or cooled seats for granted as they are nice. The heated steering wheel is also really, really nice especially now that it is winter and cold up here.

19" Pirelli Winter Snow Tires on the OEM Design II wheels. I was able to keep the 20" wheels from the Touareg along with the tires and in the spring, summer and fall, the Pirelli Verde Plus' have been working really well. They had worked well while they were on the 2012 Touareg and they have been just as excellent on the Cayenne, ever since I got the CD on 02/22/2017, but I got to try out the Pirelli Winters again tonight and I almost think that they have too much stick. Too much but in a very good way. I happen to like sliding around in the winter. Driving in snow is some of the most fun I can have in the wintertime. I'm still one that does not hate driving one, single, bit. I love it. I will never get sick of it. I still get the most incredible enjoyment from driving as I had when I first learned to drive or did anything fun with an engine. Sliding around on all season tires, in the snow, is still a treat.

Braking. Porsche Brakes. What else can really be said? Knowing one has the braking capabilities one has is really,(Can I sound any more cliche' with this next line?) is to inspire confidence. I have 50,000 miles on the CD, well, almost 50K, and the brakes and rotors are still in fine nick. The VAG braking systems last a long time and give great breaking performance all along the way. The brakes on the Cayenne's and the Touaregs shine. They are all the 5,000 lb trucks need.

Suspension and ride. The trucks ride nice. No odd sounds. No sound at all actually. Even on the 20" wheels that both my wife and I ride on, we never notice anything but a nice ride coupled with great handling whenever it is needed. Even when towing, and with our family of four in the truck and all our gear in the hatch, the ride is nice. Unforgettable would be a great way to describe it. That for as incredibly as the CD handles, the ride is so, so nice and not even noticeable. I push the Cayenne hard and the truck just rails. There is no other SUV that handles anything near what a Cayenne does and we are talking about a base suspension package that the Cayenne Diesel comes with, but remember, it is Porsche suspension.

As it is, the Touareg guys went the bigger Cayenne sway bars as it does work to make the Touareg handle more Porsche-like. The Touaregs handle good, no, they handle great and handle better than every other SUV out there, but for the Cayenne. BMW, Merc, RR, Volvo, none of them feel or handle like a Cayenne does. The Cayenne is better in every way when I compare it to cousin Touareg. I can't even say that the Touareg rides better because I don't think it does but the Cayenne feels better to drive and does everything just a bit better than the cousin, VW.

I have had no breakdowns. No check engine lights. Nothing has had to be fixed. Nothing but perfecting and the same went and goes for my 2012 Touareg TDI I had until 2017 and the wife's 2015 Touareg TDI.

That is all I can think of after a nice 125 mile night drive in some driving snow, alternating between clear, wet to snow covered highways and roads, all the winter conditions all in one 125, 2 hour drive, but I know there is, and will be, more but I need to get to bed as we'll be snowbiking in the morning as it just snowed up here so we're psyched to ride in powder for the first time this winter. At 1pm I will get back in the sweetest Cayenne Diesel, with almost 50,000 miles on it, with 3/4 of a tank of diesel, and drive 125 miles south to pick up my kids at their school and then have fun with them for the rest of the night. Life. Is. Good.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

nice post and all that, but to say a cayenne is a tall sports car is just wrong. It may handle better than some other SUVs, but there is no mistaking its height, mass, and size. Even with the air suspension and pasm, this is nothing like any sports car.

its a nice suv...but thats it.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:06 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

66,000 miles on ours, 48000 on the first one. All have been pretty much trouble free, even with heavy towing.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

It's one of the best looking Suv's out there. I don't understand the hate towards the look.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

A couple of things I had forgotten, and every time I drive, I realize just how nice the the CD is.

That despite 50,000 miles, towing, bumpy roads and highways, and towing either trailer, at any speed, and especially noticeable on the highway, I can take my hands off the wheel and the entire truck and trailer(s) will just track dead-on straight. I think it is almost uncanny and realize that it has to be part of the durability of the Cayenne. That I'm now on my snow tires is equally amazing to me.

I had almost forgotten the seats. I love the 14 way seats. For my 110-125 mile highway rides, every now and then I'm changing the position and it is nice to just bump the controls any which way I want and get a new position and comfort. I had shimmed the steering column down so the wheel is at least an inch lower than it was at the lowest point of the stock steering column position. Much better, for me.

Another nice feature, pretty awesome when it comes down to it and I only have the HID headlights in the projectors and NOT LED. The PDLS which are the self leveling and swiveling side-to-side headlights. For a guy with a flashlight-fetish ever since he was a kid, and a lover of the best output from a headlight as one can get, the headlights on this Cayenne are a treat. As long as the headlight covers are clean, the output is full, bright and is always illuminating the road and even the curve in the road/highway ahead=excellence!

Not all is perfect in Cayenne-land though. There is always a FWProblem(s), right? The traffic map is very limited as compared to the Touareg. The traffic ends right outside the major cities and where the Touareg will show the traffic for hundreds of miles further, the Cayenne's display just ends=sucky.

The headrests do not move fore and aft. The Touareg's do but not the Cayenne. Oh well, at least the headrest position happens to be where I can easily live with it for long highway rides and I can put my head back, crank up the tunes on the great BOSE system and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by BenCD; 01-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
nice post and all that, but to say a cayenne is a tall sports car is just wrong. It may handle better than some other SUVs, but there is no mistaking its height, mass, and size. Even with the air suspension and pasm, this is nothing like any sports car.

its a nice suv...but thats it.
I don't agree with that assessment. Granted, it isn't available on the CDD, but PDCC makes my CTT handle very very well, and the acceleration is also very impressive!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Perhaps, perhaps. I took a bit of artistic license when I had referred to the CD as a sports car, but compared just about every other truck or SUV out there, it is. I can see having to pick the "sports car" and point it out, ok, sure, it's not a sports car but compared to most every truck and SUV out there, it is. Sorry about that.

That the Cayenne thrills me on the road/highway, it is my sports car. The one that tows my shyt to the water, dirt or snow.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
It's one of the best looking Suv's out there. I don't understand the hate towards the look.
I probably should tame down the "tough on the eyes" rear end of the 958 with the hard to view droop to the tail lights. The 2015+ had to grow on me too as I never thought much of it until it became and option for me to become the owner of one. The look of the 958.2 has grown on me but when it comes down to it, because of its towing prowess, otherworldly MPG either towing or not towing, and how it drives, it could have been the nastiest thing to ever set eyes on and I probably would still have it because it does it all so, so well.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJG911
66,000 miles on ours, 48000 on the first one. All have been pretty much trouble free, even with heavy towing.
Yup, testament to how good the trucks really are.

I get the Chistophorus magazine and all throughout every edition, I have noticed that an author will put in how reliable, dependable and how well built and long lasting Porsche's are with the least issue having stated that 70% of all vehicles made are still on the road today.

I plan on giving my truck to one of my kids as I'll be happy to keep putting whatever money the truck needs to keep it going for 20 more years.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

PA classifies all SUV's as "Station Wagon", and that's fine by me. I pay the same registration as a car, and don't have to worry about weight classes which jacks registration and toll charges.

Like you, I'm very, very happy with the CD... To the point where I have no clue what else could replace it, should something happen to mine and I couldn't find another.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I agree Ben, ???. I love this truck. It will be in the family for many, many years.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Extended warranty, that so far, the entire truck, save for some AdBlue/DEF issues-that are covered under the warranty, the things have been pretty reliable.

It is a vehicle that I will not mind pouring thousands into down the road to keep it going.

We should be getting a good snowstorm this Saturday/Sunday, up to 24". I'll be able to put the 19" Pirelli Winter's to the test on Sunday and Monday.

It has also been nice seeing so many others getting into the 2013+ CD's as they know what they are getting into and what great trucks they are getting. I can see gong 300,000 miles, easy and it will be nice, in 8 years or so, when my boy gets his drivers license, to give him the truck so he can get around and I can get something else.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:13 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I don't have the SD card right now but I had reset my mpg-meter, that is about 1 mpg off or so in its calculations and computations with regards to the interstellar-really, mpg that this diesel gets.'

I had a mostly empty, beautiful highway, 93N to 89N to Woodstock VT and the diesel makes operating this Cayenne feel just heavenly.

I have pure winter snow tires on and it is going to snow 12-24" where I am and I can't get any more excited, between driving the Cayenne in the powder, to the snowbikes and snowmobiles, I don't have to be back to work until Wednesday if I want to take Tuesday off and get some extra riding in.

Life, with a Cayenne, is excellent.

Oh yeah, my highway mpg calculation story. So, I got an average of 77 miles per hour with a MPG average of 30.2. Lets say I filled the tank up and did the manual calculation and it turned out it was 29.2 mpg, that I was making some good time on the highway, all while getting small sedan MPG is pretty nice. That and the good-for-what-it-is in a truck that is right around 5,000 lbs but still handles so well at higher speeds on the highway, even with 19" pure snow tires. The stock 19" Design II wheels with a set of Pirelli Winters has been so, so good and to be able to drive around on the packed snow roads that are usually dirt roads where I am in the world is going to be a great time on Sunday.

The Cayenne Diesel, is incredible for what it is. Pass it on.

I did pass one of the very first Cayenne S' on the way up and I will say, in black or dark blue, nice and clean on the highway in winter, the truck does look freaking great in a dark color. These Cayenne's are some machines.

Quick Reply: 50,000 mile, 2016 diesel review