Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Never thought I would switch from a 958 GTS to this new beauty....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:32 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Come back every so often and let us know how things go with it. I’ve definitely been seeing them around town here in Charlotte more frequently over the last few months.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:30 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 314 Posts

No denying the emotional appeal of Italian cars - pure passion for the most part. All that matters is that you are happy with it.....although I’d have to at least snarkily comment that you shouldn’t waste one millisecond caring about how common your car is or how other people view it. I love my GTS and there are two others that look exactly like mine in my tiny neighborhood of 150 houses - who cares? It’s an awesome car that I love - and I guess a few other folks with exquisite taste do too
Old 01-02-2019, 02:21 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Layout is an evolution of the DaimlerChrysler platform that was itself a derivative of the early 2000s W220 Mercedes S-Class. High mount front a-arms are pretty standard for the class as it minimizes scrub radius while also allowing for large brakes, which improves handling and steering feel. Since it is a RWD based platform like the 958, you'll see a separate front driveshaft and engine placed over the front axle. Third Generation Cayenne is an Audi platform so the 9Y0 has the front axle completely behind the engine. (958 Hybrids and Diesels actually have this layout as well, which is why they don't get true PTM but instead have Quattro).

It's very unlikely that we'll see a bespoke and costly SUV platform like the 957/958 ever coming back. There were the Touareg and Q7 variants but essentially Weissach had the lead on the platform to the detriment of the others. If you ever get a chance, look under the hood of a first generation Q7. Audi's design language is so tied to the nose heavy proportions that there's a huge amount of space between the engine and front bumper, to try and ape this look.

Bottom line is it's your money and if you're happy with what you bought then I'm happy for you.

Quick Reply: Never thought I would switch from a 958 GTS to this new beauty....