Sponsored By:

Aftermarket blind spot monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 AM
Abbas Jaffar Ali
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket blind spot monitor?

I have a 2013 Cayenne which did not come with a factory installed BLIS and was wondering if there is any aftermarket product that can add that. The drivers side rear view mirror doesn’t provide a good view of the cards on your left behind you and a warning system would help!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Property positioned side view mirrors do not show you anything behind you, that's not what they are designed for.

Position your mirrors correctly, and the System becomes a bit useless.

I don't believe I have ever seen an aftermarket system.

Casey
Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Look at the aspheric mirrors you can buy as replacements for the flat factory glass. You can buy at Suncoast. I have them. Take a little getting used to but they provide much better peripheral awareness. Ivwish our mirrors were bigger. Wonder if Touareg mirrors would bolt on😁
Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abbas Jaffar Ali
I have a 2013 Cayenne which did not come with a factory installed BLIS and was wondering if there is any aftermarket product that can add that. The drivers side rear view mirror doesn’t provide a good view of the cards on your left behind you and a warning system would help!
If mirrors are correctly adjusted there's no such thing as a blind spot. Many people focus all 3 mirrors behind them and viewing the same thing.
The rear view mirror in side the car is just for that rear views not the side views.
Side view mirrors are for side views not rear views.
When mirrors are correctly adjusted you should see a panoramic view with a slight overlap from mirror to mirror.
Each side view mirror should be adjusted so that if you lean slightly towards that mirror you'll see a glimpse of the side of your car
Once that's done you'll need to fine tune the views a little bit.

The way I do it: is:
I see a car behind me in the rear view
I then change lanes and slow down a bit to allow the car that was behind me to now come up on my side
What I should be seeing is that car moving from my rear view to my side view mirror with a slight overlap where I briefly see it in both mirrors
That car should remain in my side view mirror till it's next to me where I see it in my peripheral vision
If mirrors are adjusted correctly you should never lose sight of a vehicle.

Car & Driver had an article about this a few years ago.
There's a thread somewhere on 1 of the Porsche Forums that has a link to the Car & Driver article
If you search around the forums you'll find it.

But, on the other hand of these high tech aids help give you peace of mind then go for them.
I see many of these as 1 more thing to stop functioning

Quick Reply: Aftermarket blind spot monitor?