Sponsored By:

Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 09:41 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pepperpepper
I have about 68K on my CD and I've noticed when I start it after it's sat for some time (the car needs to be up to temp and then shut off for 30-60 minutes or so) I experience a really horrible timing chain rattle for about a second after the engine fires.

Now, this rarely (if ever) happens when the vehicle has sat overnight, but if I say, drive to work and head out on errands after an hour or two... I fire it up and get a terrible clatter.

I talked to my dealership's SA about this and he SWEARS that all Porsches do this because the valvetrain is chain driven. I have owned many other cars with timing chains that have oil pressurized chain tensioners that did NOT make this noise when they started, they have check valves or some other manner of keeping the tensioner from letting the chain go limp while the engine is off.

The dealership refuses to look into my concern about this because "if something were wrong the car would have a check engine light". I happen to disagree but I have come to learn that at the Porsche service desk the customer is always wrong. So CD owners of Rennlist, tell me, is this normal? Am I being paranoid that my engine may grenade soon because the timing chain flaps in the proverbial wind every other time I start the car??? Is my service advisor correct in saying this isn't a problem?

You are totally right about this problem, I have the same issue on my 14 CD.
I pretty sure the reason they’re not willing, is due to the amount of work required. Dropping the engine etc before any replacement is even started.
Shocking when you think how much these vehicles cost, you get better satisfaction from a Japanese brand.
Unfortunately arrogance will eventually come round and bite you in the butt, if you get my meaning.
My E550 Mercedes Cabriolet had the same problem, or should I say the M278 V8 engine. Mercedes had a fix replace the hydraulic chain tensioners and include check valves, this keeping pressure against the timing chain etc.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:12 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

You would think that with all the money they spend on engineering these cars there would be no problems, but hey maybe they don't spend that much time or money on the engineering. Our other car is a Mercury Milan 2010 6 cylinder and at about 40k we had to have all the valve cover, etc. seals done. I don't know if they had to pull the engine, I imagine so but that fix was about $2200K, they actually had to do it twice since it leaked the first time. Haste makes waste. They did give us a new loaner car. But you are right the Japanese cars seem to be much more reliable. When we need another car we will probably go with a Japanese car, not as fun/sporty but reliability is an issue. My go to dealer is almost a hundred miles away and I refuse to go to the local dealer because they are so incompetent if you ask me. I'm not sure why POA allows these leaks to be an issue and not fix them. Oh well the car is fun to drive. I had a Panamera loaner when my car was at the dealer and aside from acceleration I didn't like it very much. I couldn't figure out how to change the radio stations or most of the other tech gizmos but I marveled at how great the gas mileage was for the 350 (I think it was) horsepower.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:52 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchsailorbiker
You are absolutely right about your assessment. I had the rattle since I bought my 2013 cayenne TDI at 3 years old. Tried to convince the dealer for 3 years, with sound recordings etc. They did not hear it according to the dealer. They finally gave in after I pointed them into the direction you outlined. I thought initially it was the oil pump, because it was intensified (the rattle) when the engine was still warm and you started it after leaving it for 30 min. Anyway Porsche fixed it under warranty.
thanks for you suggestions and findings.
My 2014 CD with 90 K goes into Porsche in the Am. The timing chain tensioner noise is embarrassing .
I have already had the engine out Re seal. I have 4 Video / Audio files to give to my SA. I’m tired of hearing they could not duplicate it!
how did you get them to finally replace the chain tensioner’s?
Old 07-02-2023, 10:59 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Can somebody post up the video/audio file of the bad timing chain so that us new owners know what to listen to? Posting to youtube with a descriptive title would probably help a lot of people.
Thanks, learning a lot from this forum.
Old 07-05-2023, 05:50 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porsche is doing Full Timing Chain Rattle fix under my Emissions Warranty!

Well.. I’m very pleased .. After extensive video/audio capture of my timing chain start up “rattle” noise…
And then sharing with my
my Porsche store Service manager… They had the Tech. “Manually feel for timing chain stretch”.. There it were ... No engine codes or CEL..Simply obvious to the tech. IF you take your CD to operation temp AND shut it off for 38 minutes ( assuming ambient temp is 70 degrees) AND then restart it and it sounds like it’s about to grenade for two seconds and then sounds fine…You have stretched timing chains and or Worn guides and or bad tensioners.
I’m happy to share video clips of my rattle..with fellow Rennlisters .
please PM me with your cell #.
“Today was a good day”

QUOTE=bobbyp;18888181]Can somebody post up the video/audio file of the bad timing chain so that us new owners know what to listen to? Posting to youtube with a descriptive title would probably help a lot of people.
Thanks, learning a lot from this forum.[/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post:
KBell (07-05-2023)
Old 02-23-2024, 05:58 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Fabulous write up, my 14 CD has the same problem at 128,000 KLM’s. It seems as though it’s getting worse, I’ve been running 5W-40 for sometime now.
In addition to that weight oil I also add Lubegard Biotech lube enhancer, this product is very good. A great Company from Seattle WA.
I’m up in Western Canada, I’ve talked to a few dealers including Volkswagen Touareg specific dealers.
I’ve been told it will normally give a code, I don’t want to what that long.
Anyway I’m thinking of setting up a pre oil pressure system on startup, something via a separate 12 volt pump and separate oil filter.
I would like to use one of the filter body sensor ports to pressurize before cranking her over. I’ll make up a trial pressure tank of oil first, then monitor the gauge when the ignition is switched on. Fingers crossed.🤞
Old 02-23-2024, 06:08 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I've had this sound on my '13 since I bought it in '16 with 68K miles on it. It now has 167K miles on it and no issues. Sound is the same as it's always been. I've even got a tune and exhaust and it's still going strong. Been running the same Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 it's had it's whole life - with change intervals between 5K and 7K and periodic oil analysis.

Also, have never once used an oil treatment of any kind (only fuel treatment).

Last edited by dollarlongnecks; 02-23-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:05 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I’ve got a bit of a mystery here. After having the startup rattle consistently for the last few years I asked the dealer to do the chains, guides and tensioner while doing the engine out reseal.

Much to my surprise they said it all looked good. I didn’t get billed for it, I don’t see any of the parts required on the 4 pages of replacement parts and it has not rattled at all in two months since getting it back.

I mean I’ll take it but, I would love to know why it is no longer rattling at startup if none of the parts have been changed.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Noise