Sponsored By:

GTS Life Expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 03:32 PM
SUPWAGON
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Question GTS Life Expectancy

I have a 2013 GTS with 85,000 miles on it. Now that I am approaching the end of my CPO warranty I wonder how long I should keep the car and how long the car will last. I have had all the maintenance performed per the book and repaired everything that has broken so now the GTS is in great shape with all systems working and only a few paint dings. Please give your thoughts on how long you keep a car and for those of you with high mileage vehicles please tell us what to expect for long term maintenance and repairs. To date the transfer case, driver door handle and fuel tank sensor were replaced under warranty.

thank you
Old 12-07-2018, 03:37 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any car will last as long as you're willing to maintain it (above and beyond the auto manufacturer's schedule).
Old 12-07-2018, 03:45 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Whenever I get my GTS I plan to keep it for a minimum of 10 years, so I will probably have 140-160k by the time I'm done with it.

It's all about whether you think it's worth to keep it longer or if you are getting tired of it.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:56 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Personally I wouldn't own any of these beyond warranty coverage (as I've stated here before), but that's me. These are very complex vehicles, and just when you think you got all the bases covered, surprise!! It really is a gamble, yours could keep plugging along with little to virtually nothing needed, and then again it could start becoming a real PIA. Even if you're a DIY'er, there are things that can occur with these vehicles that you're just not tackling yourself! So then you're paying obviously, and it can be ugly.

It all comes down to asking yourself what you're really comfortable with. When faced with the same dilemma I ultimately decided to trade my beloved well cared for 2011 CTT for a one year old low miles uniquely equipped CPO Macan GTS this summer. My CTT had reached 70k miles, serviced religiously since new at the selling dealer. Very happy with the Macan, zero regrets! It was the right decision for me, but again, that's ME. I know, it's a tough decision!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:28 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Timely

So I have a 13 GTS with 96k on it. I just spent several thousand dollars to correct a coolant leak and replace all the coil packs and plugs. I have all easy miles on it and have had all schedule maintence done. I have owned the car since new and it is my third one. I was asking myself the same question as you are since it has been my favorite car to drive and I have many. I started looking around at options and a 17 cayenne turbo s with 2200 miles popped up. Heavy options and an almost $180k sticker. I made a deal on it and traded in my GTS ...they gave me 30k. Other than the miles it looks new inside and out. I pick the new one up tomorrow am...excited but will miss the GTS.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope mine lasts! I'm running 15-20k miles a year on cars. Travel sports = miles... sigh... Just passed 78k miles and expect to hold it until 150k-ish. I probably should have bought a Toyota, but then then I'd be like... "Damn... have to drive the Toyota again... sigh" instead of "Let's go kids! Time to drive!"
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

another factor for me, is that as I look at how Porsche changed some of the features in the newer Cayenne's (newer than my 2012 anyway),... I keep saying to myself that I prefer to stay in the 2012.

I'm up to 65k miles now, and even though I've been off warranty (now running my own "self-insure" program),.. my P dealership has really taken care of me. After warranty replaced rear diff, T/C, and other smaller issues for free.

I know the shoe will drop some day,... but for now I love this vehicle, and it does so much for me (towing 911's, autocrossing, & hauling all my wet kiteboarding gear & smelly hockey bags), that I just think it's worth it to stay in it.

Unless the entire thing starts to fall apart, I'll be in this over 200k.

GTS specifically? ... well my opinion there, is that I really like the "Porsche built" v8 in my CTT. That makes a difference to me. I cringe when I hear of cyl scoring in the CS v6's.

=Steve

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2018, 02:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I cringe when I hear of cyl scoring in the CS v6's.=Steve
Huh?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I just turned 88K on my 2013 Cayenne GTS, mostly highway miles.. Still solid as a rock, but two things I've had issues with. First, the transfer case had to be replaced ($4,000). Second, the tailgate isn't raising all the way, and its either a motor or a sensor. I can deal with that, and perhaps fix myself. Other than that, car looks new. The interior has really held up.

I'd like a new Cayenne at some point, but would definitely miss the V8. So, I'll drive this one as long as I can. Probably best vehicle overall I've ever owned, including a 4Runner, Expeditions, Explorers and numerous cars and an F150.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:50 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

97k on my ‘12 CTT. TC replaced under warranty at 48k. I’m prepared for the expense of coolant issues and coil packs. What scares me is if turbo fails or air suspension leaks.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2014 CD with 46,000 miles and average 10k a year. I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off or I can't drive due to old age. It all comes down to personal opinion. The way I look at it, if you love the car then you are willing to pay for repairs/maintanence. Even if you decide to trade it for a new model you are still paying money...new car note/maintenance. So it just comes to where your money is going.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 AM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubya958
I have a 2014 CD with 46,000 miles and average 10k a year. I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off or I can't drive due to old age. It all comes down to personal opinion. The way I look at it, if you love the car then you are willing to pay for repairs/maintanence. Even if you decide to trade it for a new model you are still paying money...new car note/maintenance. So it just comes to where your money is going.
That's the best way to look at it! Like a previous poster, I'd like to hold onto the wife's DD, a '14 S (last of the N/A V8s!), as long as possible. It's a CPO car and that warranty expires in 2020...it has air and PASM, too, so I'll probably need to start saving up for possible future issues.

TXCOMT
Old 12-14-2018, 05:01 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
What scares me is if turbo fails...
Had this happen to my 2011 CTT at around 60k miles, left (driver's side) turbo. Thank goodness it was still under extended warranty, the repair cost was not for the faint of heart! The dealer did a fantastic job though, zero issue after the fact and very clean work.

So your fear of that failure (although rare) is understandable, especially if your warranty is gone.

Quick Reply: GTS Life Expectancy