Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another 21' Tire Thread - Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 12:06 PM
nstar8
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Another 21' Tire Thread - Which is best?

Hey all...I know there has been alot of disussions as to which tire is the preferred tire for the Cayenne. I have the 21' wheels, so the selection is somewhat limited. I purchased my Cayenne used and it came with PZero's. I quickly ordered and had installed the Conti DWS tire as weather changes rapidly in Colorado. The Conti's lasted a whole 13k miles (and it's a 50k warranty tire), at which time I installed a new set of PZero's...Love the PZero's as they are quiet and the handling is excellent. However, I was still in search of an all season tire for the fall/winter/spring months. Pirelli finally came out with the Scorpion Zero All seasons. I ordered a set and had them installed about a month ago.
I must say, this is by far one of the best tires I've ever purchased. They are quiet and seem to handle as well and feel as good as the PZero's for everyday driving (which is why I've got the PZero's for sale). I don't notice any sidewall flex when pushed into a corner like the Conti's.. If the wet/snow characteristics are as good as the cold/dry characteristics, and the tire lasts for 50k, then that will be the last tire I'll ever consider for the vehicle.
Just my .02 cents.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,144 Likes on 759 Posts

Please keep us up to date on your experience as you get some miles and snow experience with them. Having alternatives to the Michelins that typically come on a Cayenne with 21" rims would be a good thing, especially if they're a useable all-season.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:17 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I've got 22s. First cayenne we initially went with the scorpions. Got about 20k out of them. Next were Toyo Proxes and got about 50k out of them, between the 1st and 2nd cayenne they were on. Have about 20 on a set of DWS now and they still look new.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:37 PM
nstar8
Instructor

Will do Don...MJG911, do you have a turbo and which Scorpions do you have?...I believe the Zero A/S are a new tire to replace the older Scorpion tire...
Interesting how some cayennes get decent mileage from the DWS's...I know I don't beat on mine, but the roads are terrible here in Colorado...lot's of concrete...
Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

turbo diesel
Old 11-22-2018, 07:05 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Interesting about your DWS, I put on about 39k miles on those tires on my X5 and they still had 40% tread, maybe a bad batch?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:15 PM
nstar8
Instructor

Yeah, I was hoping to get 50k from those DWS's, and certainly was quite surprised that they were wasted by 13k. I was really looking forward to just having a single set of tires for a change. But now with those new Scorpion Zeros, my fingers are crossed. Especially since I'll be giving the Cayenne to the wife in the next month, and don't want to mess with multiple tire sets.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:04 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nstar8
Hey all...I know there has been alot of disussions as to which tire is the preferred tire for the Cayenne. I have the 21' wheels, so the selection is somewhat limited. I purchased my Cayenne used and it came with PZero's. I quickly ordered and had installed the Conti DWS tire as weather changes rapidly in Colorado. The Conti's lasted a whole 13k miles (and it's a 50k warranty tire), at which time I installed a new set of PZero's...Love the PZero's as they are quiet and the handling is excellent. However, I was still in search of an all season tire for the fall/winter/spring months. Pirelli finally came out with the Scorpion Zero All seasons. I ordered a set and had them installed about a month ago.
I must say, this is by far one of the best tires I've ever purchased. They are quiet and seem to handle as well and feel as good as the PZero's for everyday driving (which is why I've got the PZero's for sale). I don't notice any sidewall flex when pushed into a corner like the Conti's.. If the wet/snow characteristics are as good as the cold/dry characteristics, and the tire lasts for 50k, then that will be the last tire I'll ever consider for the vehicle.
Just my .02 cents.
Interesting. Yes, please let us know how they work out over time. When the 21” Pirelli Scorpion all-seasons first appeared on the market in the Cayenne’s size, I posted an alert about it here in the forum, but the opinion of most at that time was generally ‘forget about it...buy the Contis’. Let’s see how they work out for you.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 PM
nstar8
Instructor

UPDATE!!!..Well, we had somewhat of mini-blizzard here in colorado last night...30 plus mph winds and severe snowing...At times I could barely see 5 ft in front of the car. Anyway... the snow was about 2-3 inches over a layer of ice. The tires performed flawlessly from a dead stop as well as at speed. Extremely predictive feedback from the tires. Tried to get the rear end loose to see how fast the computer would intervene, and how the tires would react...the tires were very predictable. At no time did I feel like I needed more traction...I was able to pull away from the traffic lights with small amounts of spinning and was always able to pull away from the light faster than 4 runners, trucks and other SUV's...

The testing continues...
Old 11-26-2018, 12:21 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

UPDATE!!!..Well, we had somewhat of mini-blizzard here in colorado last night...30 plus mph winds and severe snowing...At times I could barely see 5 ft in front of the car. Anyway... the snow was about 2-3 inches over a layer of ice. The tires performed flawlessly from a dead stop as well as at speed. Extremely predictive feedback from the tires. Tried to get the rear end loose to see how fast the computer would intervene, and how the tires would react...the tires were very predictable. At no time did I feel like I needed more traction...I was able to pull away from the traffic lights with small amounts of spinning and was always able to pull away from the light faster than 4 runners, trucks and other SUV's...

The testing continues...
Excellent, appreciate the real world feedback! Keep it coming as you have updates.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 PM
russnyc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The testing continues...
Zeros arrive tomorrow, install by the weekend. Michelin performance has been solid on my previous Cayennes but the road noise always bothered me. Reviews of the new Michelin Sport A/S often complained of road noise too so giving the Pirellis a shot after your feedback is a no brainer for me. Super excited!

Last edited by russnyc; 12-05-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM
nstar8
Instructor

UPDATE #2: Had a real blizzard here in Denver yesterday. Drove on about 2-3" of slush covered with about 2-3" of snow on my way home from work. No problems. Again, could pull away from stop lights with little spin, and the braking was very predictable when I thought the tire was going to lock. Still extremely satisfied with the performance of these tires. Over the last month or so the temps have been below zero to 65 and as always these tires perform at levels expected from a tire that is designed for cold weather and one that is designed for warmer temps.
I will update once the temps get above 80 as well. Unfortunately, I may be giving the pig to the wife as I am getting another ride, so time spent in it will be limited.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

UPDATE #2: Had a real blizzard here in Denver yesterday. Drove on about 2-3" of slush covered with about 2-3" of snow on my way home from work. No problems. Again, could pull away from stop lights with little spin, and the braking was very predictable when I thought the tire was going to lock. Still extremely satisfied with the performance of these tires. Over the last month or so the temps have been below zero to 65 and as always these tires perform at levels expected from a tire that is designed for cold weather and one that is designed for warmer temps.
I will update once the temps get above 80 as well. Unfortunately, I may be giving the pig to the wife as I am getting another ride, so time spent in it will be limited.

Hope this helps.
Since you had the contis in the past- how do you think they did in the snow/slush vs conti performance? I loved the factory michelins but wanted allseason for drives to Tahoe etc in the snow. The michelins were sketchy for scenarios like that. However I dont like the conti DWS tires for the general soft sidewalls. Even putting the sport suspension on max etc, it feels mushy. Good to hear about the Pirrelli's so far. Keep the updates coming!

John
Old 03-14-2019, 09:46 PM
nstar8
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Young
Since you had the contis in the past- how do you think they did in the snow/slush vs conti performance? I loved the factory michelins but wanted allseason for drives to Tahoe etc in the snow. The michelins were sketchy for scenarios like that. However I dont like the conti DWS tires for the general soft sidewalls. Even putting the sport suspension on max etc, it feels mushy. Good to hear about the Pirrelli's so far. Keep the updates coming!

John
I think the Pirelli's are far superior to the Conti's....Although I will preface that with the fact that I didn't have alot of snow time on the Conti's...especially since they only lasted 13K miles. I definitely did not like the soft sidewalls of the Conti's at all...definitely mushy.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

How many miles on them so far? My Cayenne has the Pirelli winters on it and I may consider these when I replace or the Michelin A/S 3s. I will say that yea the DWS are a little mushy on corners when I had them on the X5 but my X5 had 19s on it and not the 21s I have on mine now.

Quick Reply: Another 21' Tire Thread - Which is best?