Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

converting air suspension to coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 07:28 AM
GTCharlie
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

I’d just assume buy OEM rebuilds for $500 a pop. Not sure why you’d want to downgrade to steel for that price.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:04 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
not speaking to the quality at all, but you can get a set of coilovers for $1250, which is roughly the cost of one air strut.

https://ceika-store.com/products/cct1m628

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bc-racin...-kit/y-08~bcr/
The air is that much. I think steel springs are less
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2022, 12:34 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Anyone tried these? They look like OE:

https://www.suncoreindustries.com/pr...SAAEgKlLPD_BwE
Stay away from Suncore. Just go look at their Facebook page.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 10-16-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:36 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Stay away from Suncore. Just go look at their Facebook page.

Don't have FB. Stay away from that brain washing, virtual whitepages platform.

But thanks for the info. I'd personally just go with FCP for life time warranty. Although I'm sure I won't have the CS long enough to have to replace again.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:17 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Don't have FB. Stay away from that brain washing, virtual whitepages platform.

But thanks for the info. I'd personally just go with FCP for life time warranty. Although I'm sure I won't have the CS long enough to have to replace again.
Well, I never had Facebook but had to get an account to get in touch with people who owned a certain Motorcycle that has no presence anywhere else. Old 2 Stroke Street Bikes. If you use it wisely, then it's a good resource tool.
The following users liked this post:
TXCOMT (06-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2022, 07:10 PM
original_meatwad
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Air suspensions are fantastic, especially when you want to tow on a regular basis. There is nothing exceptionally expensive or difficult to maintaining them. I once bought an absolutely mint, low mile Range Rover L322 that "needed all entirely new air suspension components," according to the local indy shop. I simply installed a new battery and cleared the errors with INPA (BMW software) and I was ready for the Paris Dakar. With air systems, it's simply a matter of scanning for errors with the proper tool, inspecting for cracks in rubber and listening for leaks with a stethoscope. My amazing luck with the L322 was preceded by a decade of swapping out other peoples' air springs and O-rings, plus the occasional external sensor. Compressors can be rebuilt for 40 quid. There is nothing to it.

Last edited by original_meatwad; 10-17-2022 at 07:12 PM. Reason: poor breeding
Old 10-18-2022, 08:31 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Well, I never had Facebook but had to get an account to get in touch with people who owned a certain Motorcycle that has no presence anywhere else. Old 2 Stroke Street Bikes. If you use it wisely, then it's a good resource tool.
I'm interested in rest of the story on bikes. You buying/selling or collecting? I used to ride/race. Sold last year when prices sky rocketed.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:10 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Anyone tried these? They look like OE:

https://www.suncoreindustries.com/pr...SAAEgKlLPD_BwE
Hey Garrett, Suncore doesn't have an EBM to code out error messages when swapping from air to coil.
Arnott has such a coil spring conversion kit which includes EBM, but the kit is only for 955. Nothing for 957 or 958 at this time. https://www.arnottindustries.com/coi...nversion-kits/

PS--Rover air susp isn't as well/robustly designed as Porsche (specifically Porsche's has more aluminum surrounding the bag, so less likely to get micropunctures in the bag = slow leaks = compressor working harder = larger air strut/shock/bag leak = compressor death. BTDT.), which is why Rover fails more often and there are more kits for Rover air-coil conversion than there are for VAG products like Porsche, VW, Audi.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:38 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 729 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
PS--Rover air susp isn't as well/robustly designed as Porsche (specifically Porsche's has more aluminum surrounding the bag, so less likely to get micropunctures in the bag = slow leaks = compressor working harder = larger air strut/shock/bag leak = compressor death. BTDT.), which is why Rover fails more often and there are more kits for Rover air-coil conversion than there are for VAG products like Porsche, VW, Audi.
Rover fail? Hmmm..

On the older Rovers, an air suspension failure puts the truck at the bottom of the suspension travel, on the bump stops. You cannot drive the truck in this mode more than 15 miles an hour, on the road.

How one would drive a Rover on the bump stops out of the woods is beyond me...and it's something I thought about as I offroaded my '95 County LWB fairly regularly...
Old 11-17-2022, 04:13 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Rover fail? Hmmm..

On the older Rovers, an air suspension failure puts the truck at the bottom of the suspension travel, on the bump stops. You cannot drive the truck in this mode more than 15 miles an hour, on the road.

How one would drive a Rover on the bump stops out of the woods is beyond me...and it's something I thought about as I offroaded my '95 County LWB fairly regularly...
<says the guy with a RRS who's had both front air struts and compressor replaced now. No failures on my 2 Cayenne's.>

Rover fix is to add a strut/shock top spacer kit like Lucky8 sells, for running oversized tires and still being able to drive out if/when the air susp fails/sinks. My RRS has this and it works well.

Back to Cayenne's...​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: converting air suspension to coils