Sponsored By:

converting air suspension to coils

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts
Default converting air suspension to coils

Looking at a 2011 cs with air suspension but no pdcc. all air suspensions are junk and will have expensive failures so i would like to convert it to coils. is it as simple as installing the standard shocks struts and coils and programming air suspension out with durametric/ piwis or are there other differences in the suspension components?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2018, 12:11 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

It's as simple as buying a Cayenne with steel suspension already installed.

With your logic, though, you should possibly avoid a Cayenne altogether!
Old 11-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by garrett376

With your logic, though, you should possibly avoid a Cayenne altogether!
Yeah thats cool but i need the full leather interior or else the interior looks so cheap so my choices are limited.

Why should i avoid the cayenne? Is it all unreliable junk?
Old 11-18-2018, 01:17 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yeah thats cool but i need the full leather interior or else the interior looks so cheap so my choices are limited.

Why should i avoid the cayenne? Is it all unreliable junk?
I was just using your mindset as everything has a chance to break, and everything is expensive to fix. It's a used Porsche. So if you consider air suspension to be junk for whatever reason, you'd probably consider everything else that has a chance to break as junk, too. Hence the recommendation to just avoid a Cayenne.

I personally don't have that "junk" mindset. So I'd get a turbo to have every gadget and the better trim to enjoy because if you've driven various Cayenne models, none are the same as the options change the character and capabilities of these vehicles significantly.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

If im honest the capabilities arent important to me at all. if i could stomach the looks of the japanese suvs id buy one in a second. the cayenne is acceptable looks wise, has a nice enough interior eith the leather trim, and will tow my track car. anything beyond that is superfluous. i will drive this like a 1989 buick century so any capabilities are irrelevant.

Hence if i can go to coil sptings i gain piece of mind that some $2k overcomplicated part isnt breaking prematurely

Thanks for your input
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
This.

Porsche vehicles like the Cayenne are built from the factory with an integrated number of options. Attempting to add or remove options at a later date is never really destined for success.

Honestly, if you want simple, then buy one that's set up with simple options. You will very likely not find success trying to cripple one already delivered with the air suspension setup. At least not without spending a lot of money.

That and be prepared for eye-wateringly expensive parts and labor costs. These are not inexpensive vehicles, no matter how much they depreciate over time. They're all not made in the kinds of quantities that after-market vendors want when it comes to creating parts. Thus just about everything that isn't shared on one of the other platforms is going to continue to have factory and dealer pricing.

But you likely know this already.

Last edited by wkearney99; 11-19-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:22 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

With air suspension it's not a matter of if it will break, just a matter of when. When it does, it is crazy expensive. Just because somebody wants a Cayenne, the assumption that you shouldn't buy a Cayenne unless you are willing to open your wallet to any degree. Having had two vehicles with failed air suspension I get it. I would never buy another air suspension car again, regardless of the advantages. I am not sure with Porsche, but with Lexus, you can buy a kit or replace the air with factory struts, shocks, etc. When I had my Range Rover HSE, I bought a kit. Surprisingly on both of those vehicles, the traditional suspension was better than the air. Your car, your choice. Buy what you want and convert it if you want.
The following users liked this post:
resommam (06-23-2023)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

LOL at schooling Quad about Pcar ownership. Well, maybe he has not learned with 3 in his current stable. A fourth will light the bulb.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
LOL at schooling Quad about Pcar ownership. Well, maybe he has not learned with 3 in his current stable. A fourth will light the bulb.
Heh, yes, sometimes you miss the 'number of posts' quantity.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

While I dig what people are saying about the difficulty converting, the parts are not expensive. A set of bilstein struts/shocks are about $1k, some used springs, another $500, and some top mounts and such, another few hundred. The car will likely just need to be told it doesn't have pasm or air suspension and it shouldn't freak.
That said, if the control arms or similar are different, it may become an issue that is overly expensive to rectify.

I've had a lot of air suspension fun on my S-class and Its not something I'm looking to repeat. Sadly the ones with the nicer spec interior usually have this crap air suspension. Hence my dilemma.

I spose there are options for repair, but it also seems like a lot of it involves throwing parts, like $2,300 air compressors at the problem.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:03 PM
rixtrix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Touareg TDI. No air suspension offered.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Its easy to change out the air to clover system. Look on you tube.

If you already own a Cayenne with the air hen change it our if you need. If you are looking to buy, then look for one without the Air.

Good Luck with whatever you choose and keep us posted.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I don’t think there is any conversion system out there yet for the 958.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:20 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Oops I meant spring system.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:36 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Anybody hear of a spring system for the 958 Turbo? I’m sure someone like Arnott or ECS or some other suspension expert will develop a conversion kit in the future when the 958 systems start to fail. It will be tricky especially with the PDCC. I’m certainly going to hold onto air as long as I can. I have a 1998 RR HSE and went through two aire systems before I gave into traditional springs. WHen these air spring systems are right they ride beautifully.

Quick Reply: converting air suspension to coils