Sponsored By:

DIY: Porsche Logo Puddle Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking DIY: Porsche Logo Puddle Lights

These are NOT everyone's cup of tea, but... One of my player's mom has a Q7. She opened the door one evening and the Audi rings were projected onto the asphalt. I thought that was a really cool feature Audi put in! Turns out... not OEM. Her son installed them. Fast forward a few weeks and these came in:

Car Courtesy Ghost Shadow Light-LED

Comes as a box of 2. Took about 10 seconds to install. Literally. There are 6 on a Cayenne: 2 front doors, 2 rear doors, and 2 on the rear hatch. I'll check out how I like the two I put in the front doors and make the call on ordering 4 more. I obviously kept all the OEM parts in case I need to return to stock.

Install is easy:
  1. Using an interior trim tool, remove the OEM light (Trim And Molding Tool Set 5 Pc); it comes out super easy
  2. Unhook electrical connector
  3. Connect new light
  4. Insert new light into door
Super easy. Pics:

The box... Complete with bad grammar!

OEM and Shadow Light side by side.

OEM and Shadow Light side by side.

Where I used the tool. If you use it on the red side it opens up the housing for bulb replacement. You then pry a second time to get the whole thing out.

Installed. Perfect fit.

Hard to show a light up mod in the middle of the south Florida sun... but it looks promising! And it looks in color! I thought it would be just B&W.

Enjoy!

Michael
Old 11-11-2018, 06:31 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Love this. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for posting
Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Ooooh I like it at night! Granted, not for everyone, but I'm liking it. We'll see how long the parts last Probably order another 4 for all the other lights on the car. My wife laughed. She took the C to go get mani/pedis for her birthday and when she came back it was dark... Had no clue I had done this.

Further so you can see scale.

Close

Enjoy!

-Michael
Old 11-12-2018, 09:36 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

I did some of those a while back. Note, the color does seem to fade after a while (cheap plastics, I guess). If there's an option to order more lenses it might be worth considering, as many of these seem to be based on the same generic lamp/lens combo.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Went to order another set... no longer available but I found the same title on another Item!
https://smile.amazon.com/Courtesy-Sh...ht-LED+porsche
I figure the logo will fade over time. Looks like the lenses are glued in though so not sure you can get a replacement part. $18/pair though... I'll skip the Mahi on Friday and have a burger if they need to be replaced. Fun stuff!

-Michael
Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the later linked set and they don't look to be as good of quality as what is pictured in the original post. The lens is clear and painted red instead of being made of red plastic. I haven't hooked them up and plan on returning them.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NoEardGoat
I purchased the later linked set and they don't look to be as good of quality as what is pictured in the original post. The lens is clear and painted red instead of being made of red plastic. I haven't hooked them up and plan on returning them.
Well that sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. I'll see if I can find something better.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:06 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro911SC
Went to order another set... no longer available but I found the same title on another Item!
https://smile.amazon.com/Courtesy-Sh...ht-LED+porsche
I figure the logo will fade over time. Looks like the lenses are glued in though so not sure you can get a replacement part. $18/pair though... I'll skip the Mahi on Friday and have a burger if they need to be replaced. Fun stuff!

-Michael
Got these last week. Logo looks good.

Installation required minor mod as locking clips on top of unit don't quite catch on the area of the door frame so unit won't stay locked in place. Locking clips are plastic so used a Dremel to very lightly shave off some of the plastic and got them to fit. Nail file/emery board probably would work if you didn't have a Dremel. Based on Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one with this fitment issue. Minor annoyance, mainly from the disgruntled feeling that end users shouldn't be beta-testers.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I found what looks like the same light that is now unavailable on Amazon. Just ordered 2 sets.
Look what I found on AliExpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/g5agkmy
Old 12-08-2018, 04:42 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW, I ordered 2 sets of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JL7RQKT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JL7RQKT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, they have painted red plastic for the lenses, but they actually shine with a deeper red than stock. They more closely match the color of the LED tail lights, so I'm happy. They have the plastic clips instead of metal, but they clip right in without modification. Except, you need to hook the front first and snap in the bottom with a bit of force. The color crest is quite gorgeous. Note that unlike the pictures in the OP, this set has the crest without the white circle surrounding it.

Funny thing is every time I open my door at night or in the garage, I still do a double take as if I'm about to step on something I shouldn't.

Edit: one more note - if the logos fade or you want to get replacements, search the web for "Shadow Light Logo Film". There's many, many images to choose from and even some custom printing services available incase you want your company logo there. Pretty sure I'll be getting some printed up. The film ring slides in and out relatively easily for a quick change-out.

Last edited by AGARubberDuck; 12-08-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Nice!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 AM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought two sets of the ones from Hongying Car. I cannot get them to snap in. I will not spend any more time trying to get them to fit. Returning.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:07 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by awaschka
I bought two sets of the ones from Hongying Car. I cannot get them to snap in. I will not spend any more time trying to get them to fit. Returning.
Sorry to hear that, especially if you picked them up on my recommendation. For me, hooking the front (top) first and then pressing the back/bottom up allow them to snap in with an incredible amount of holding power. After the 1st one, the subsequent doors were done in a matter of seconds. If you try to attach them in the same way as OEM, you'd probably need to modify the plastic clips on the front and you'll have less holding power. I have a 2011, but can't imagine there would be any difference in the door cards from 2011 - 2018.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 PM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the ones that @AGARubberDuck recommended in his link above. It was a 3 minute installation. I had to wiggle it a bit to get it to snap in, but it's in tight now.

I think it looks cool, but not everyone else does. My 17yr old daughter said it looks cheesy!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:27 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JimboMac
...My 17yr old daughter said it looks cheesy!
Because, like, what-ever Dad! You're SO embarrasing.

Quick Reply: DIY: Porsche Logo Puddle Lights