Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Windshield weatherstripping (image finally uploaded!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 07:55 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Windshield weatherstripping (image finally uploaded!)

I've got a water leak in the passenger side footwell I'm trying to track down. I've checked roof drains, cowl drains, and A/C condensation line. All appear to be fine but maybe I'm missing something so I'm continuing to research the possibilities.

One thing that caught my eye was the weatherstripping of my windshield. I wanted to see if this is how it should look or is the incorrect weatherstripping used? Take a look at the picture below, on the left side is my sunroof on the right is my windshield. Notice how the sunroof has a lip to cover any gaps but my windshield rubber does not. This doesn't seem right but can someone check and see what theirs looks like? Is this right? Thanks!

Last edited by fpena944; 10-18-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:36 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The photo isn't immediately understandable.. but windshields are glued in place - and the glue holding them are what seals them up. The rubber gasketing is more trim than anything else.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The photo isn't immediately understandable.. but windshields are glued in place - and the glue holding them are what seals them up. The rubber gasketing is more trim than anything else.
I basically took a photo of the space between the sunroof and the windshield so that I can capture both in one image. Something seems to be wrong with Rennlist though as it took me multiple tries to upload and now when it opens it appears to be cropped. Here is another link to the photo: CLICK HERE

The sunroof has a rubber gasket that has a lip over both the metal and the border of the glass. You can hopefully see that on the left where a corner of the sunroof appears.

The window has a gasket surrounding it as well but instead of overlapping a portion of the glass and the metal frame it instead has a narrow channel between the two. This is where I thought maybe something is off as I thought it would have a similar style rubber strip like the sunroof.

Sorry the picture if a bit confusing. Hopefully I was able to explain it a little better.

Nonetheless I'm still going to research all other avenues for the source of my leak but wanted to see if there was something wrong up front as well.

Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:07 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Your pic looks normal to me from what I can remember of my Cayenne. Was the windshield in your vehicle ever replaced? If so it could be a bad seal/install. We had this happen once on a vehicle we owned years ago. As pointed out earlier, the rubber trim on the outside is just cosmetic. If water is leaking in around the windshield, it's the actual seal of the glass against the body, not the external rubber trim.

Quick Reply: Windshield weatherstripping (image finally uploaded!)