Is durametric useless for the 958? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 For newer Cayennes than the 955/957 series
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is durametric useless for the 958?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 PM
  #1  
Turboslut
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Default Is durametric useless for the 958?

Hey guys....trying to scan a check engine light and read the following fault codes. I can not find these codes on any forum or list of fault codes. Does anyone know what they are or seen them before? Is there a better tool for pulling codes out of the 958?

Turboslut is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 PM
  #2  
deilenberger
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NJ, US of A
Posts: 5,160
Default

I've never seen a 5 digit code.. be curious as to what an iCarScan would read from the DME..
deilenberger is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:45 PM
  #3  
Turboslut
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
I've never seen a 5 digit code.. be curious as to what an iCarScan would read from the DME..

Does that unit succesfully read codes in your past experience? I sent an email to Durametric waiting to hear back from them in the meantime.
Turboslut is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:10 AM
  #4  
deilenberger
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NJ, US of A
Posts: 5,160
Default

Originally Posted by Turboslut View Post
Does that unit succesfully read codes in your past experience? I sent an email to Durametric waiting to hear back from them in the meantime.
Yes. There is a long thread over in the 955/957 forum about it. I own both Durametric and iCarScan. The Durametric hasn't been used since I got the iCarScan.
deilenberger is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM
  #5  
Turboslut
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
Yes. There is a long thread over in the 955/957 forum about it. I own both Durametric and iCarScan. The Durametric hasn't been used since I got the iCarScan.
The 958 DME is a different animal though.
Turboslut is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM
  #6  
knfeparty
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
knfeparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL Duval County
Posts: 4,120
Default

Yes.

I too emailed them and they made no promises about improving it in the future.

The 958 has been out for, what, 8 years now? I figure if they were gonna figure it out, it would've happened by now.

It's not just the DME it sucks with; it can pull codes for modules but can't tell you what they are. The forum support isn't there yet for decoding them.

It really can't do any activation / calibration / coding like it used to. I was so happy with it on my 996 and my 955, but it's totally worthless on the 958.
knfeparty is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 AM
  #7  
the head
User
 
the head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 30
Default

I couldn't get the Durametric to connect to my 2013 CTT after a couple of tries so I switched to the iCarScan and it works great.
the head is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM
  #8  
Turboslut
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by the head View Post
I couldn't get the Durametric to connect to my 2013 CTT after a couple of tries so I switched to the iCarScan and it works great.

thank you guys.

Icarscan it is.

Turboslut is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
  #9  
Turboslut
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Default

is the launch x431 the one to get?
Turboslut is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM
  #10  
Tom M
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 540
Default

Originally Posted by knfeparty View Post
It really can't do any activation / calibration / coding like it used to. I was so happy with it on my 996 and my 955, but it's totally worthless on the 958.
I wouldn't call it totally worthless as it can do the resets of the service reminders - which was the main reason I bought mine several years ago. However I've pretty much set it aside since getting an iCarScan.
Tom M is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 PM
  #11  
deilenberger
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NJ, US of A
Posts: 5,160
Default

Originally Posted by Turboslut View Post


The 958 DME is a different animal though.
You're correct - and if you read my SIG - I've owned both the 955 and a 958 TwinTurbo.. and iCarScan works just fine with the 958, It can read ALL the modules in the 958 - something that people have experienced problems with using the Durametric.
deilenberger is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 02:06 PM
  #12  
Turboslut
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
You're correct - and if you read my SIG - I've owned both the 955 and a 958 TwinTurbo.. and iCarScan works just fine with the 958, It can read ALL the modules in the 958 - something that people have experienced problems with using the Durametric.
order placed.

Thank you all!

Turboslut is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM
  #13  
knfeparty
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
knfeparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL Duval County
Posts: 4,120
Default

I'd like to get one but every thread I read is kinda inconclusive on which model is the "real" one for icarscan
knfeparty is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 04:07 PM
  #14  
kennyt
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 78
Default

iCarScan x431 (the orange color which is $185). I was able to clear an HPFP error code which requires PIWIS to clear. I bought it directly from obd2tool.com site. Even though it's shipped from China it's FAST. Don can confirm how fast.
kennyt is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 04:29 PM
  #15  
Turboslut
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by knfeparty View Post
I'd like to get one but every thread I read is kinda inconclusive on which model is the "real" one for icarscan

I went with this one...

https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-5052-...r+Android.html

will let you know if it works
Turboslut is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: