Sponsored By:

Repair Budget for used Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 AM
sbbamafan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Budget for used Cayenne Diesel

I am considering purchasing a 2013 Cayenne Diesel with +/- 40,000 miles. It looks immaculate but is not CPO. I have always bought 'sensitive cars' or cars with warranties. My wife (and my kids) think I am nuts for considering the CD. Today I talked to a very reputable independent mechanic and he has not seen the car (yet) but told me to be prepared - no matter how perfect it is - to be prepared to spend between $4,000 and $6,000 as miles climb between 80,000 and 100,000. Is that consistent with what others on the board are seeing or expect to see with your Cayenne Diesels? Is everybody dumping them before you get to that mileage level? I really plan to keep the car longer - assuming I continue to like it - maybe to 125,000 or so.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:26 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

"Sensible" cars perhaps? I think the mechanic is over-estimating, although just normal things like brakes and tires could add up to $4,000 if you pay full price at a dealership. That's why many people start using an independent mechanic, or DIY. As far as what "everybody" is doing - if that was the case you'd see lots of diesels with around that mileage on them for sale - and you don't. The diesel is the most "sensible" of the Cayennes - it usually doesn't suffer transfer-case problems, and aside from an oil leak that sometimes occurs - the engines are pretty much bulletproof. If you want to remain sensible - a Lexus RX350 is hard to beat for reliability and longevity (and is totally boring to drive..) It's the sensible choice of "everybody.." and your wife and kids would approve of your wise decision.

Life's too short to drive boring cars..

BTW-- it might be worthwhile reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-coverage.html - although the title refers to later diesels, all of it is applicable to any diesel in the USA (where I'm assuming - perhaps wrongly - you are from.)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:45 AM
sbbamafan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always tried to deviate a little from the boring and sensitive cars. I had a 1980 Ford Fiesta (German car) in college and a 1988 Merkur XR4Ti after college. In between I have been sensible. The RX is nice and you might as well be in a coma. I looked at 4Runners and their mileage stinks and they ride rough. I had one - great car - and like all Toyotas that we have owned - it never broke. Back to the subject - I expect wearable items such as tires and brakes to need replacement but the mechanic was telling me horror stories about diesel sensors and adblue tank heaters and sensors, etc. He went on to tell me the diesels are less reliable and more costly to maintain than the gasoline powered V6. I was lead previously to believe the opposite which is why I was seeking out the diesel. Not only that - Porsche has issued the extended warranty for the diesels after the FIX which should take you to 100,000 anyway for all the diesel items the mechanic was talking about. It kind of makes me question if the mechanic really knows his stuff about the diesel. Thoughts?

I am largely a DIY'er for stuff like brakes or oil changes. I will also do the fuel filter. Items much more difficult than that I will defer to an independent. Very seldom will I ever find a reason to go to a dealer.

Oh and I am in metro Atlanta. Land of horrendous traffic.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

The adblue tank heater I believe is shared with the VW diesels that use adblue - and I doubt if it's a big chore to replace. I seem to vaguely recall there being a campaign that covered them if one failed - and it certainly would be covered under the extended diesel warranty. A mechanic almost always feels compelled to sound like an "expert" - and lots of times that means it's either pure BS, or "stuff he heard"..
Old 10-08-2018, 01:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

These cars should have dieselgate drivetrain warranty up until 125K miles or 10 years covering Adblue tanks and heaters. The AMP went in my car and other ancillaries parts like window switches need replacement.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:52 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 313 Posts

Agree with Chao.

They are warrantied for a long time.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 14 diesel. I love the brand and and have multiple cars and many of these since new. They are very reliable but very complex cars.

I like you am the ultimate diyer and I do all of my own easy stuff like brakes, filters and oil.

The best lesson I can pass to a new prospective buyer is that as they get to the 40 60 or 100k range things start to break or naturally wear out. The problem is anyone can turn wrenches when you know what to replace. I have this old man sense that like cars of previous generations we can fix anything, but the problem is not turning the wrenches, it’s that when something goes wrong we can’t diagnose or fix it because the computers that give you stepwise instructions are not available to us.

I don’t know of any simple chilton or Haynes manuals for the diesel.

You will have to use the dealer for these kind of issues and be ready for higher than imagined service/repair costs.

Its not an Acura but once you drive it you will realize it definitely is not an Acura.

Last edited by s996; 10-08-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I can see how the guy can estimate a $4,000-6,000 in "possible" maintenance or repairs at 80,000 to 100,000 miles.

With my diesel, I'd be happy to keep having my truck fixed to maintain the goodness that it has and is. No problem.

We do have the extended warranty for the engine and HPFP and DEF system so there is that. I have some faith that this truck is going to be able to last a long time and I won't mind at all paying to keep it up.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

^ Also includes transmission and transfer case
Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I just spent close to $7K on my 2010 Transsyberia with 89K miles

Normal maintenance -
Leaky valve cover
leaky Rear Main Seal
replace torque converter seal
Center Drive Shaft support brace
Replace leaking vacuum pump
Replace engine mounts
repair drivers seat back

Hopefully the Porsche Diesel warranty would cover some of those things on your Diesel.

I am not including new tires and brakes, serpentine belt etc....

Quick Reply: Repair Budget for used Cayenne Diesel