Wheel Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Repair Question

I just picked up a set of factory Sport wheels for my Cayenne...2 of the wheels have some deep grind marks on a couple of the spokes & curb rash where due to scrapping a curb. They were very inexpensive so even with the damage, I'm happy with the purchase.

My question...I want to have the wheels refinished to look like new...to do that, some material will need to be welded onto the spokes so they can be shaped like all of the other spokes. I've checked with 2 local wheel repair places and all they will do is grind/sand to get the areas smooth & repaint...that's not sufficient as I want the wheels to look brand new.

Any recommendation on shops would repair the wheels to "like new" shape & condition?

Thanks much, Rick
Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve seen bondo used to fill in gouges and scrapes. Easy enough for a DIY, as long as they aren’t bent, and then take them for painting.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I just picked up a set of factory Sport wheels for my Cayenne...2 of the wheels have some deep grind marks on a couple of the spokes & curb rash where due to scrapping a curb. They were very inexpensive so even with the damage, I'm happy with the purchase.

My question...I want to have the wheels refinished to look like new...to do that, some material will need to be welded onto the spokes so they can be shaped like all of the other spokes. I've checked with 2 local wheel repair places and all they will do is grind/sand to get the areas smooth & repaint...that's not sufficient as I want the wheels to look brand new.

Any recommendation on shops would repair the wheels to "like new" shape & condition?

Thanks much, Rick
A Porsche dealer near you might have someone they contract with for professional quality wheel refinishing. The two dealers in my area do, and the results I've seen on some customer's vehicles were quite amazing, and it's pretty reasonable. So I'd recommend you check with your dealer(s).
Old 10-05-2018, 04:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Ditto on checking with your dealer. Mine has someone they call in to do them when the used-car department needs them done. I had all 4 of my curb-magnets done at the dealer - $150/each, which included dismounting and mounting the wheels. They looked like brand new.

Quick Reply: Wheel Repair Question