Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

After Market Trailer Hitch & Harness Rec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:18 AM
randerson22
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default After Market Trailer Hitch & Harness Rec?

Hey All,

We have a 2013 Diesel that does not have a factory hitch. I would like to put on an aftermarket hitch capable of towing up to 6,000 lbs., and to install a harness that will integrate into the vehicle's lighting system. I do NOT intend to pull a trailer with an electronic braking system, thus I am not interested in putting in the special harness that would actuate and control brake inputs to the trailer from the car's brake system. I intend to do this work with my 13 year-old son as a project.

So:

1) Is there a specific Curt or other brand that people generally agree is the best for this application?
2) In terms of also having a harness to integrate with the car's lights (driving light, brake and turn indicators), any recommendations on where to buy and which harness? Any links to videos showing how to do this appreciated.
3) I know I would have to limit the application to trailers without electronic brake systems; In pulling small campers, do most of them have no brakes or a hydraulic system? I am trying to learn about how widespread electronic brake systems are versus hydraulic or no brakes in trailers and campers. Anywhere to look to understand this better is appreciated.

Thanks,
robert
Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 AM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2013_Porsche_Cayenne.htm
Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Since you are looking to make this a DIY there are several options along with multiple price points.
  • You can buy a complete kit from some place like Suncoast for a chunk of change then install it yourself and have the dealer code it after the install for some more cash.
  • You can buy a complete used system from a local wrecker or eBay. You'll still need the dealer to code it for you for around $100 or so.
  • You can buy an aftermarket hitch (I used a Draw-Tite on my 2011 S) and buy a used Porsche controller and wiring. Do the install and have the dealer code it.
  • You can buy an aftermarket hitch and aftermarket wiring adapter. You'll get the lights but the car won't have any idea a trailer is attached so none of the parameters will be adapted as when using the Porsche controller.
If you do a search you'll find a couple of threads on installation of aftermarket hitches.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently installed a factory hitch.

After seeing the Curt hitch and the factory hitch. I'd go with the factory hitch all day long. There really is no comparison. The quality is exponentially better.

If you intend to tow anything, I would want proper integration into the chassis stability controls, shift points, etc.

I would imagine if anything the factory hitch would pay for itself in the resale over an aftermarket one.

Quick Reply: After Market Trailer Hitch & Harness Rec?