Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne GTS or Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Shanedog
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for doing that. Eager to hear from folks!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:18 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Now thats interesting.... quick search of Google comes up with the following:

2016 Cayenne GTS - 4,642 lbs
2016 Macan Turbo - 4,244 lbs

Thats not as much as I expected! Still a couple of average people, but I was expecting a bigger difference!
Old 09-26-2018, 10:19 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain
I had a Macan to run around in while my Cayenne went in for the variocam bolt recall - actually really impressed! Liked it (except white, not in white - sorry for those owners of white Macans). But the differences were dramatic. The Macan is MUCH smaller inside and I struggled to get a good seating position that didnt feel a little cramped. Looks familiar and feels very similar at sedate pace. But what is clear is that the Macan is setup for a much more sporty drive. I think you are comparing the right ones though. I have an S which is soft and wallowy in comparison to the Macan I drove! The GTS is a lot stiffer. But that quick fire PDK, sportier driving dynamics and smaller overall size makes a difference. If you want more space in the back (the Cayenne 958 and later is positively spacious) and a little more practicality (the trunk / boot is much bigger in the Cayenne) then great. But I would suggest the Macan is much more involving to drive and it might seem a bit of a let down coming from a Macan Turbo!
^ This ^

I’ve owned two CTTs and now a Macan GTS. Between the two models, I think it all really boils down to what your priorities are. They’re both great vehicles, both very capable performance oriented SUVs, but each has their respective strengths and character.

The Cayenne is obviously the one to get if you need the additional space, primarily in the rear seating and cargo areas. The Cayenne (958.1 gen S or GTS, or Turbo) is also the one to get if you value low end useable torque, being that they’re V8s. Or if you just happen to prefer the look/styling of the Cayenne model versus the Macan. The Cayenne does handle extremely well for a mid size SUV, especially if it’s equipped with optional PDCC. You’ll find it hard to believe you’re driving an SUV even as you push it harder! The Cayenne also has a greater towing capacity if that matters to you.

The Macan is the one to consider though if you value a more engaging sports car-like driving dynamic while still having a decent dose of utility. I guess you could say it’s more Porsche-like in terms of it’s overall feel and characteristics. It’s smaller size allows for a more nimble vehicle, more ‘tossable’ if you will. The PDK is fabulous....lightning quick and responsive. The PDK also seems to adapt better to how you drive in real time versus the Cayenne’s standard 8-speed automatic. Power is not lacking especially in the GTS and Turbo models, but there is some turbo lag and a bit ‘soft’ on the low end (most of which goes away though in Sport or Sport+ modes).

Bottom line....I suggest you try and get as much seat time as you can in both models, in whatever trim levels interest you. You really can’t go wrong with either, but again it comes down to your priorities in terms of what you expect out of your vehicle.

Best of luck in your quest.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 PM
Shanedog
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. That kind of detail and analysis is incredibly helpful. Challenging to get enough driving time in the gts as only one local dealer has a used one. Btw is low end torque much better in the older v8 gts then the 2016 v6 gts?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,325 Likes on 4,030 Posts

Low end torque is always better in a naturally aspirated vs turbo charged gasoline motor as you don't have to build boost.

CarGuy's synopsis is pretty much spot on. My wife's DD is a 997 but my daughter is now too tall for the rear seat. We're kind of considering adding a Macan Turbo or GTS to the fleet to have 4 doors and a little more cargo space and make that her DD. Where I'm going with this is the Macan drives kind of like a larger sports car and less like an SUV. Currently we're out of garage space and she doesn't want to get rid of her 997, so no Macan yet.

We already own a Cayenne Turbo S though and that's the vehicle we use for family trips and is the right size for that. Regular trips are done with just the cargo area, golf or beach trips, we add the Skybox on top for the additional equipment. The Cayenne is a beast (modded to around 650 HP) and handles unbelievably good with PDCC for a 6,000 lb SUV. Mine is an 09 957 generation, which I consider to be the best one - more masculine exterior, more rear cargo space before the redesigned rear hatch, but its not as fancy inside with fewer screens and gadgets (a plus in my book - a minus for others).

I'd recommend you drive a V8 GTS too, as it will deliver its power differently than the newer Turbo v6 GTS.

Here's a shot of my widebody Turbo S in loaded hauler mode.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:44 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanedog
Thanks. That kind of detail and analysis is incredibly helpful. Challenging to get enough driving time in the gts as only one local dealer has a used one. Btw is low end torque much better in the older v8 gts then the 2016 v6 gts?
I've personally not driven a 958.2 gen S or GTS with the 3.6 V6 TT, there are many here in the forum that can speak to that though. But I can tell you that the 958.1 gen GTS with the NA 4.8 V8 is wonderful old school V8 low/mid range torque...instant on. Makes for very good driveability even when you're not really pushing it. Not to mention the wonderful sound of that V8, with the GTS's PSE!

The Macan GTS and Turbos with optional PSE (standard on the GTS) also have a wonderful soundtrack....different sound than the V8s of course...but wonderful in it's own right.

So as you can see, there's a lot to like in all of them. Again it just comes down to your priorities. Trying to decide between these is a GREAT problem to have!

Quick Reply: Cayenne GTS or Macan Turbo