Sponsored By:

New Android Head Unit over PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 09:39 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Why would you not do an Android Auto retrofit and add it to your PCM? Took me just a couple hours to DIY.
This seems like the most intelligent way to go about it. A screen on top of another screen seems redundant. OEM + is always best IMO.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:06 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

If you choose to go with the android auto install, im here to help you out!

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (12-15-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 09:58 AM
Not7fifteen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still struggling to get sound from mine.

Factory PCM unit was toast I thought, tons of error messages (Nav/etc.)

Replaced with this new android unit with MOST box and CanBus decoder box: https://www.erisin.com/products/eris...orsche-cayenne

Wireless airplay connects, nav works, steering wheel controls work, but no sound...

MOST box wires have constant and on/off power and ground is good.

Still no sound, maybe my amp is also dead.... ordered a new refurb and will try that when I have time.

I now have the "Audio off' message on the dash which was not previously there though, prior to the android head unit it did not say this.

Really frustrated and annoyed because I'm an audiophile and love having music in my car.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:31 PM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Not7fifteen
Still struggling to get sound from mine.

Factory PCM unit was toast I thought, tons of error messages (Nav/etc.)

Replaced with this new android unit with MOST box and CanBus decoder box: https://www.erisin.com/products/eris...orsche-cayenne

Wireless airplay connects, nav works, steering wheel controls work, but no sound...

MOST box wires have constant and on/off power and ground is good.

Still no sound, maybe my amp is also dead.... ordered a new refurb and will try that when I have time.

I now have the "Audio off' message on the dash which was not previously there though, prior to the android head unit it did not say this.

Really frustrated and annoyed because I'm an audiophile and love having music in my car.
Any progress with this? I recently went through this struggle too. In my case, turns out the little wire harness that came with my MOST box was the problem. One pin (yellow iirc) was in the wrong spot, so it never actually was powered on. Now I have sound. Still the AUDIO OFF message though, but I can live with that

Last edited by TonD; 05-18-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:45 AM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Why would you not do an Android Auto retrofit and add it to your PCM? Took me just a couple hours to DIY.
what module did you go with
Old 08-25-2023, 11:08 PM
F1 Kevin M
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

Delete

Last edited by F1 Kevin M; 08-25-2023 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 11-07-2023, 09:30 PM
sdunsworth
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Functioality

Originally Posted by TonD
Any progress with this? I recently went through this struggle too. In my case, turns out the little wire harness that came with my MOST box was the problem. One pin (yellow iirc) was in the wrong spot, so it never actually was powered on. Now I have sound. Still the AUDIO OFF message though, but I can live with that
Do your other functions work? Eg. parking sensors, back-up camera, built-in info functions, output to right-hand screen for audio / nav / etc?

I’m looking at the Erisin pretty hard. Have to get the MOS adapter, but what benefit are you getting from the CANBUS?
Old 12-15-2023, 04:04 PM
gmilanov
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone, thought I'd chime in.
On my 2016, I have had to replace both my headunit and BOSE amplifier (HU constantly rebooting and SSD didn't fix it, amplifier dropping out and eventually no sound at all). It wasn't cheap, but now everything works, and some of it is better than stock.
For the HU, I went with the Android radio (Aoonav or similar on aliexpress, 8.4" version) with MOST adapter box. The fit is perfect, wiring is easy because you don't cut any wires! I also ordered three adapters to use the stock GPS antenna, radio antenna, and factory usb ports (USB still under test, but they do have power). I can provide adapter info if anyone wants it.
Parking sensors and backup camera work, and the backup camera has the factory directional lines built in, along with the overhead panorama view, steering wheel volume buttons work. All of this is possible because of the CANBUS connection.
The output to the dash right side screen does not show maps or correct track information but does show radio station.
Apple carplay works perfectly.
The only thing that doesn't work is the diamond button, which I used for 'next track.' It now takes it back to the FM radio.
I haven't installed any Android apps yet but I plan to load a different launcher.

Separately, my amplifier also failed, just a little bit of water intrusion was enough to toast it (original owner hadn't opened up the sunroof drain lines). I wasn't able to find any deals online (China ones were used and I don't trust that they aren't already damaged). My local dealer had the cheapest price on a new one and stock available. I replaced the amp and now I have sound, and honestly might be better than stock with the built in equalizer on the android radio.

So all in all, for $500, the headunit is awesome, definitely recommend, especially because you don't cut wires so if Porsche ever produces a 'classic' version for a reasonable price, you can use it. Replacing the amplifier wasn't cheap but is not hard to do and did fix my sound dropouts.
The following users liked this post:
downtroddengoat (12-15-2023)
Old 01-30-2024, 07:01 PM
joehanna3
AutoX

Originally Posted by gmilanov
Hi everyone, thought I'd chime in.
On my 2016, I have had to replace both my headunit and BOSE amplifier (HU constantly rebooting and SSD didn't fix it, amplifier dropping out and eventually no sound at all). It wasn't cheap, but now everything works, and some of it is better than stock.
For the HU, I went with the Android radio (Aoonav or similar on aliexpress, 8.4" version) with MOST adapter box. The fit is perfect, wiring is easy because you don't cut any wires! I also ordered three adapters to use the stock GPS antenna, radio antenna, and factory usb ports (USB still under test, but they do have power). I can provide adapter info if anyone wants it.
Parking sensors and backup camera work, and the backup camera has the factory directional lines built in, along with the overhead panorama view, steering wheel volume buttons work. All of this is possible because of the CANBUS connection.
The output to the dash right side screen does not show maps or correct track information but does show radio station.
Apple carplay works perfectly.
The only thing that doesn't work is the diamond button, which I used for 'next track.' It now takes it back to the FM radio.
I haven't installed any Android apps yet but I plan to load a different launcher.

Separately, my amplifier also failed, just a little bit of water intrusion was enough to toast it (original owner hadn't opened up the sunroof drain lines). I wasn't able to find any deals online (China ones were used and I don't trust that they aren't already damaged). My local dealer had the cheapest price on a new one and stock available. I replaced the amp and now I have sound, and honestly might be better than stock with the built in equalizer on the android radio.

So all in all, for $500, the headunit is awesome, definitely recommend, especially because you don't cut wires so if Porsche ever produces a 'classic' version for a reasonable price, you can use it. Replacing the amplifier wasn't cheap but is not hard to do and did fix my sound dropouts.

im looking to do the same in my 2016 base Cayenne, are you able to hook me up with the unit and adapters you used?

thanks!
Old 01-30-2024, 10:03 PM
gmilanov
5th Gear

Just do a search on alixexpress for '2016 cayenne radio 8.4' and the options come up. I hesitate to recommend a specific one because the names of the stores change but viknav is there now. They're basically all the same.
If you have Bose you'll need the MOST adapter box (mentioned when you order the radio).
For GPS, you need
RF Pigtail Cable Blue Fakra C Male to SMA Male Connector
Amazon Amazon
For the radio antenna, you need something to go from "Fakra" to "Type B double socket"
Amazon Amazon
I haven't tried the USB port fully so I can't make a recommendation there.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:29 PM
joehanna3
AutoX

Originally Posted by gmilanov
Just do a search on alixexpress for '2016 cayenne radio 8.4' and the options come up. I hesitate to recommend a specific one because the names of the stores change but viknav is there now. They're basically all the same.
If you have Bose you'll need the MOST adapter box (mentioned when you order the radio).
For GPS, you need
RF Pigtail Cable Blue Fakra C Male to SMA Male Connector
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXPY0ID
For the radio antenna, you need something to go from "Fakra" to "Type B double socket"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJCFKK6/
I haven't tried the USB port fully so I can't make a recommendation there.

thanks so much for the quick reply! I’m on it, will keep you posted on my success

Quick Reply: New Android Head Unit over PCM 3.1