Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

oil drain plug woes - how many of you have had this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default oil drain plug woes - how many of you have had this issue?

What's up with the drain plugs on these cars? This is the second time (1x it was a pelican drain plug, 1x from the dealer drain plug) that plus wouldn't seal perfectly and caused an oil leak

I just want a steel drain plug w magnet + copper crush washer
Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

The copper crush washer probably requires too much torque to correctly crush. That's one of the reasons to use aluminum.. (plus dissimilar metals in an engine with lots of aluminum and magnesium bits - aluminum is better - less chance of galvanic action.) Can we assume you've always used new crush washers? Back in the old days - when oil pans were steel and drain plugs steel - and crush washers were copper - we used to reuse a crush washer until it was paper thin. Didn't know better - but also never had a leak and never had stripped threads. I think with an aluminum drain plug the threads on the plug may strip before the threads in the pan - sacrificial so to speak.. in case an ape tightens it up.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 PM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The copper crush washer probably requires too much torque to correctly crush. That's one of the reasons to use aluminum.. (plus dissimilar metals in an engine with lots of aluminum and magnesium bits - aluminum is better - less chance of galvanic action.) Can we assume you've always used new crush washers? Back in the old days - when oil pans were steel and drain plugs steel - and crush washers were copper - we used to reuse a crush washer until it was paper thin. Didn't know better - but also never had a leak and never had stripped threads. I think with an aluminum drain plug the threads on the plug may strip before the threads in the pan - sacrificial so to speak.. in case an ape tightens it up.
That's such a bad *** answer. So much content in one paragraph. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Well any crush washer is better than their current design.

As far as a dumb monkey using Herculean strength to tighten a drain bolt - that's absurd - especially for a porsche and in particular at a dealership.

I use a snap on tech angle wrench - and at the very least so should they. In fact most factories should have a specific torque wrench for those common applications.

It's very frustrating to see little irritations like this. There are too many cars that use aluminum oil pans and steel drain plugs with proper crush washers (either aluminum/copper).

As far as reusing crush washers, too each their own, but to me that's like reusing a condom - sure you could, but is a few cents worth opening Pandora's box?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Gptoyz
Well any crush washer is better than their current design.

As far as a dumb monkey using Herculean strength to tighten a drain bolt - that's absurd - especially for a porsche and in particular at a dealership.

I use a snap on tech angle wrench - and at the very least so should they. In fact most factories should have a specific torque wrench for those common applications.

It's very frustrating to see little irritations like this. There are too many cars that use aluminum oil pans and steel drain plugs with proper crush washers (either aluminum/copper).

As far as reusing crush washers, too each their own, but to me that's like reusing a condom - sure you could, but is a few cents worth opening Pandora's box?
No argument at all.. but monkey's do come along (people here were using Firestone to change their oil..) The reason the factory uses a specific torque wrench for specific fasteners isn't only accuracy - it's efficiency - the wrench doesn't get reset between uses. And what would be an ideal crush washer design? I can't think of much better than the aluminum ones used correctly.

And reusing crush washers - that also happens.. but note carefully what I said "Back in the old days" - we're talking 40-50 years ago. It was much more commonly done then.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:46 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no inherent problem with the drain plugs on these cars. If you have have leaks either you're doing something wrong or something else is leaking and its looking like the drain plug is leaking. BTW are you talking about a six or eight cylinder engine?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:00 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Must be a company deal, because I have replaced both of them on my Audis with better ones that actually have surface area and seal up.

Quick Reply: oil drain plug woes - how many of you have had this issue?