Sponsored By:

Window Issue (video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 04:50 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Window Issue (video)

I've had this issue with the rear passenger windows of my 2013 CD for as long as I've owned it (almost a full year, now). The vehicle is under warranty until the end of October and we've replaced the window motor twice and the control switch on the driver's door once. My service advisor and senior tech at the dealership say they're stumped. The symptoms are actually two fold. At times the "express/ auto" function of the window switch doesn't work properly and just requires holding the switch in the middle position to adjust up or down. That's an inconvenience, but not something that I would call a major problem. The other issue I deem much more serious; at times when the auto function DOES work, the window will get to the top and then kick back down. See video attached. I narrowly avoided a serious mishap a couple days ago when I THOUGHT the window had rolled up properly, before I got out of the car, but in fact it had not. Had I not later on that evening gone out to my car to retrieve something, I never would have known and my irrigation system would have been blasting into the interior of the vehicle for 20 minutes the next morning! Obviously, not having a reliable means of closing a window is a big problem. Please see the attached video and PLEASE let me know if you have any suggestions. Has anybody ever seen this before? Also, please ignore my daughter and I talking about this !@$@*$ window!!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Untitled.mov (4.37 MB, 159 views)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:48 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Had you tried the re-learn sequence?

1. Roll the window up and continue to hold the button in the up position for an additional 5 to 10 seconds.

2. roll the window down and continue to hold the button down for an additional 5 to 10 seconds.

3. Repeat

Should work to reset the top and bottom points.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:14 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Am I holding the switch in the first or second position? (What I referred to previously as the “auto/ express position”).
Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Second. Pull all the way up and hold for about 30 seconds after it's reached the limits of it's travel. Repeat for down.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:44 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

I thought RAudi Driver's suggestion may have fixed the issue, but it has again reared it's ugly head. Any help? Service advisor is now saying perhaps the the vertical strips alongside the edge of the windows are pinching the window.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

I think the service adviser may be correct. If the window mechanism sees too much resistance to going up - two things happen. The one-touch close is disabled, and the window backs down (anti-pinch function.) Tell them to order the strips.

BTW - window isn't tinted is it? Tint has been known to cause these sort of problems, especially if it extends into the window channel.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Is there after market tint on the window? They are unusually sensitive to any additional resistance including any glue that gums up the tracks.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:31 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by PORSCHEJAYHAWK
I thought RAudi Driver's suggestion may have fixed the issue, but it has again reared it's ugly head. Any help? Service advisor is now saying perhaps the the vertical strips alongside the edge of the windows are pinching the window.
Has the vehicle had any major body repairs that involved the door? Because if the door itself is crooked replacing the strips alone may not fix it. The door shell is a whole unit, see that the door seams line up evenly all around.

This parts diagram might be helpful in understanding the pieces. From the looks of it there are two pieces inside and out along the bottom and then one u-shaped part that contains the top and side channels.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:55 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

The window does not have any aftermarket tint on it I don't believe there has been any serious body work done. I've owned the PIG for a year now and nothing showed up on the Carfax.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:22 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

You mentioned motor and switch, have they replaced the regulator? The cable and bracket assembly that does the actual lifting. If there's any binding the motor will sense the added tension and stop, this as part of the safety design. If the system binds up anywhere it'll trip that. There's only so many places where it could bind. Motor, regulator, or tracks. That or any kind of obstruction anywhere the window moves. Like pieces of kids toys, debris or anything else that might have gotten wedged in somewhere.

I've replaced windows before (in other vehicles) and hate the job. There's so many variables, every little thing has to be lined up 'just so'. The pulling/replacing of the door cards and handle hardware means various pieces of those also break... ugh, it's a hassle.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 PM
cdog533
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does exactly the same thing. Dealership hasn't been able to fix it. The good thing is that after 2-3 starts, it clears itself and then works normally for a couple of weeks until it gets confused again.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:23 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

So what happens when the dealer can't fix a problem that is covered under warranty? Are you stuck with the problem?
Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdog533
Mine does exactly the same thing. Dealership hasn't been able to fix it. The good thing is that after 2-3 starts, it clears itself and then works normally for a couple of weeks until it gets confused again.
What specific parts have they replaced?
Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelo
So what happens when the dealer can't fix a problem that is covered under warranty? Are you stuck with the problem?
Various US states have lemon laws regarding new vehicle purchases and problems that can't be fixed. No idea if those would apply for these situations or not. But, ages ago, when I mentioned to the dealer for my company car if they didn't fix it this next time they'd be swapping it for a new one... it miraculously got fixed. It was, coincidentally, a power window problem. But it was a crappy Buick from the 90's, so there's little to compare here.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:43 PM
cdog533
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
What specific parts have they replaced?
None. They just said they 'reset' it. I asked them to fix it a couple of times, but neither time worked permanently.

It comes and goes. When it does it, You can manually roll it up using the middle position of the switch, but if it hits the top, it goes right back down to the middle again. If you use the auto-close, it hits the top, then goes back down to the middle.

I would say every 2 weeks or so it acts up. BUT, if you cycle the key a few times, it will usually clear up as mentioned.

Yes, it sucks, as I have left the car parked with that window open several times. Just part of the car's charm I guess. If it was a Lotus, we'd just be happy the window worked at all.

Quick Reply: Window Issue (video)