Sponsored By:

Can you haggle at a dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Gerr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you haggle at a dealership?

Hi! I have owned many Mercedes, BMW, and Audi over the years but I have never dealt with a Porsche dealership. I usually haggle and get at least 10 percent off the sticker price. I understand Porsche is high demand car brand and most likely if you don’t buy the car next person will. Is it customary for customer to ask for discount or it’s a taboo to do so? I’m interested in getting a CPO Cayenne. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:58 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Know your stuff and your alternatives and don't be bashful to do your thing. Porsche likes to make people feel that haggling is not consistent with their brand...at least until they need to sell that next car. On some cars there's no room and on others there might be ten percent or more.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There won't be CPO 2019 Cayennes for some time, but even new 2018 Cayennes can come w/ a discount.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:32 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
There won't be CPO 2019 Cayennes for some time, but even new 2018 Cayennes can come w/ a discount.
True - and that's why I'm moving this over to the 958 forum.. hang on..
Old 07-02-2018, 07:54 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Having just gone through this, they do push the whole "the price is the price" and "Porsche is a boutique brand" thing but, for most of the Cayenne lineup I don't believe that applies. What I found to be the situation with the cayenne is there are cars that are optioned certain ways that make them more desirable than others, there aren't a ton of them and those cars move fairly quickly if the dealership has them priced anywhere near reasonable. That said there are quite a few dealerships who like to use NADA value as their asking price which seems to be significantly inflated compared to KBB values. I just ignored most of those dealers after a while because getting them to move enough on price was like pulling teeth.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:04 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

I find that it depends on the dealer. I went to three dealers in the same area....one let me know the price is the price (even though it was well over priced), one invited me to negotiate, and one said, "we price them fairly to avoid the need to negotiate." My local dealer is owned by Sonic, and Sonic's method is to put a Sonic selling price hanging on the rear view mirror to avoid negotiating.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:49 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I've bought from two dealers. Both negotiated - though one quite a bit more than the other. The one that negotiated the least started off with a "the price is the price" attitude but in the end, they wanted to sell a car, so they came down some.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:33 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

My wife just bought a 2017 Cayenne base this past weekend. it was essentially brand new. Had exactly 100 miles on it. Decent options but not fully loaded. I think build sheet price was around $71K. They discounted it because they wanted to sell it. but she ended up negotiating another $3,000 off their "best price." Maybe it was end of quarter/end of month. Maybe it was because '19's are coming in soon. Either way we ended up at $55k. Which I thought was a pretty good deal for a brand new Cayenne.

She also negotiated with them on her trade in. Remember if you are working with a trade that those are 2 separate deals. make sure you haggle on both ends.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 206 Posts

When my dad got his 2014 Panamera S, they had it listed at $67k without CPO. It was the cheapest one in the country with that mileage and it was fairly well loaded at $125k MSRP. We managed to get them to accept $62.5k including CPO. They have plenty of room, especially for models that aren't in high demand. If you're looking at a 991S with a great build they're not going to budge much usually because they know it will be a hot commodity, but Cayennes/Panameras/etc are lower demand in general. Also depends what they spent to CPO the car if it was CPO'd....a CTT I just looked at had a ton of shop work done to bring it to CPO standards, probably $7-8k of work, so they're probably less likely to negotiate much on that type of car.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:13 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jason95R
My wife just bought a 2017 Cayenne base this past weekend. it was essentially brand new. Had exactly 100 miles on it. Decent options but not fully loaded. I think build sheet price was around $71K. They discounted it because they wanted to sell it. but she ended up negotiating another $3,000 off their "best price." Maybe it was end of quarter/end of month. Maybe it was because '19's are coming in soon. Either way we ended up at $55k. Which I thought was a pretty good deal for a brand new Cayenne.

She also negotiated with them on her trade in. Remember if you are working with a trade that those are 2 separate deals. make sure you haggle on both ends.
I'd like to hire your wife to buy my next cars. :-)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Have done it for three Porsches in a row now, at two different dealerships. The last time just two weeks ago in fact.

Be reasonable, and build a good mutually respectful rapport with your dealership. No problem.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:48 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts
Default She has found her calling

I'd like to hire her to negotiate cars, houses, and other things. I thought I was a good negotiator, but wow.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

For GT Porsches, you reverse haggle.
“I’d like to order a GT3 please”
sales rep laughs “sorry, sold out a year ago”
“How about I pay $10k over MSRP?”
laughs again.... “nope”
$20,30,40? $50k? “Sir, we just happen to have a car for you!”
Old 07-03-2018, 03:54 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

You guys are funny!

It is true though. She is a shark when it comes to negotiating. Honestly, I get embarrassed when I'm with her sometimes. I have to walk away. I left out that she also negotiated in 3 free oil changes and winter rubber floor mats.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

You guys are funny!

It is true though. She is a shark when it comes to negotiating. Honestly, I get embarrassed when I'm with her sometimes. I have to walk away. I left out that she also negotiated in 3 free oil changes and winter rubber floor mats.

She's hired! (Seriously...she should start a business buying cars for people and her take could be, say, 25% of the difference between, say, MSRP and the negotiated price...plus the extra value of the goodies.)

Quick Reply: Can you haggle at a dealership?