Sponsored By:

Best Way to Keep Leather Looking New

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:28 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Best Way to Keep Leather Looking New

I hate it when leather gets that shiny look. Has anybody on here used Gyeon products. They have a leather cleaner and leather coat that is supposed to protect the leather and keep it looking matte rather than letting it get that used shiny look.
http://gyeonquartz.com/product/leathercoat/

Would welcome all suggestions

Last edited by deilenberger; 06-23-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling correction in title..
Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,764 Posts

I just use zymol leather cleaner and no conditioner. Mothers used to have a leather cleaner but took it off the market. It was awesome.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

I would advise caution for anyone with the ventilated seats. A number of people have reported damage when the leather in the perforations gets wet.. it swells up and distorts the surface finish. I only use a rag damp with whatever I'm using at the time - I never put any liquid on the leather directly. I think the leather conditioner would be the biggest threat to the leather - since it would usually be oil based, and once the leather absorbed it - it probably never dries out entirely. As they always say - test in an inconspicuous location..
Old 06-23-2018, 08:50 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I have used the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner for years. The conditioner is only for non-perforated leather and can get a little glossy but, the cleaner leaves a nice natural finish and smells awesome. As Deilenberger said I always mist it onto a rag and wipe it in versus spraying the seat directly.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:55 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I have used Sonax leather foam for perforated leather seats for years. Zero problems. Leather is in pretty good shape, not shiny but plush.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:01 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I have used SONAX LEATHER Foam for years on my 911with natural leather and now on my Cayenne. It was recommended by PCA.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:36 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Check out this thread on the 997 forum. I've used this process to get rid of that shiny leather and return it to a like-new matte finish. It works great on non-perforated surfaces, especially the steering wheel and seat bolsters. Choose a low humidity day and allocate plenty of time for the leather to dry.

DIY: Bring back the Matte finish to your leather

Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 AM
David Fermani
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a specialty leather cleaner like LeatherMasters to initially clean the surface. Then, flush the residual chemical & soiling by washing the surface with a wet towel. You’d be surprised how much sticky, dirty residual you leave behind after the cleaning process that could degrade your surface. Then, monthly, just give everything a wipe with a damp towel. It doesn’t get simpler or less expensive then than.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:42 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

All a waste of time. Leather is protected by a top coat similar to a clear coat. Nothing less then acetone or paint remover will remove the top coat. Therefore for any product you apply is just simply adding shine or cleaning the top coat. Nothing will “preserve” the leather. Top coat prevents anything from permutating the leather. Stop wasting money. Just use a damp cloth with a little soap and your done.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:03 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts

I talked to the Gyeon guy last week. He said that leather does have a top coat like a clear coat, but dirt is the main culprit that creates the "shiny look." He told me to mist the cleaner onto a microfiber towel and wipe on the cleaner, and then another microfiber to wipe it off. Same instructions for the leather coat product, which he said is hydrophobic. I had a LS that had a black leather interior, and the driver's seat had a little bit of shine at sixteen years, but the rest looked new. I used a BMW leather care product on that vehicle. It was the Ultra Luxury version of the LS, so it did have semi anailine leather. The leather was perforated, and wiping the BMW leather care never was a problem for the leather. In between I would just use a slightly damp rag. Not knowing much about Porsche leather; although I had a 911 in the past, I want to know what is best for my black CD leather. Thanks everybody for the input.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:05 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
All a waste of time. Leather is protected by a top coat similar to a clear coat. Nothing less then acetone or paint remover will remove the top coat. Therefore for any product you apply is just simply adding shine or cleaning the top coat. Nothing will “preserve” the leather. Top coat prevents anything from permutating the leather. Stop wasting money. Just use a damp cloth with a little soap and your done.

What this guy said. Its already protected and you don't need to do anything. Wipe off with damp rag. Don't put junk chemicals on it.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:53 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Just a cleaner no oils or preservation needed. Griots makes a cleaner that’s awesome and smells like leather. I put on a damp microfiber towel and just clean lightly away. Leaves no shine just like the OEM stuff. Also use on my home leather goods. Fantastic product. The Lexol cleaner is great but does not have the nice smell. You can do what you want but you are wasting money on all that snake oil stuff.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:43 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
What this guy said. Its already protected and you don't need to do anything. Wipe off with damp rag. Don't put junk chemicals on it.
bzzzzt....thank you for playing.......I just happen to be in the leather business. Why do people who have no knowledge on a specific topic write posts? If you want to get an understanding of leather rather than read some knee-jerk responses, you can read quite a bit on a forum I both own and operate here. I will start you off with the most simple and basic thread here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ
Old 06-24-2018, 06:41 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
bzzzzt....thank you for playing.......I just happen to be in the leather business. Why do people who have no knowledge on a specific topic write posts? If you want to get an understanding of leather rather than read some knee-jerk responses, you can read quite a bit on a forum I both own and operate here. I will start you off with the most simple and basic thread here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

'Wrong'

Your post on furniture is not relevant to materials used in cars.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:09 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
'Wrong'

Your post on furniture is not relevant to materials used in cars.
Could you elaborate on how the auto industry developed a leather product that bears no relevance at all to any of the leather materials used in the furniture industry?

Quick Reply: Best Way to Keep Leather Looking New