Sponsored By:

Transmission Leak found

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Default Transmission Leak found

Ok so my car is at the dealer for a few little issues. One being the transmission was leaking from the top. The dealer found that it wasn't a leak but fluid was coming out from some overflow tube and running down the driver's side of the transmission. They also said the transmission cooler plug was disconnected. I have no idea what that is or how it got disconnected as the only people who ever worked on this car are the Porsche dealers. Wondering if the overflow could be from the transmission fluid expanding when hot and overflowing?

I inquired about how it could have come unplugged and I pretty much went right to work they have done on the car in the past. They said probably not them. Now I'm asking the forums for insight into this.

1. Does anyone know where this so called Cooler plug is located?

2. Could it have been disconnected by a technician doing work on other parts of the car?

They have worked on:

PDCC Pump and associated lines.

Some control module for the "Chassis System Fault". Replaced by them.

PCM Unit

Brakes - done by me in my garage
Oil Changes - done by me in my garage.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. They also want $450 to change out the transmission fluid as they can't tell me how much fluid I have lost. I may as well just pay them to change the fluid as $450 isn't that bad considering how many quarts these things take.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:13 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I would have them change the filter in the transmission while they are at it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
They also want $450 to change out the transmission fluid as they can't tell me how much fluid I have lost. I may as well just pay them to change the fluid as $450 isn't that bad considering how many quarts these things take.
They could top it off and know how much you lost from that easy operation - would be much cheaper in fluid and labor than actually "changing" the fluid.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:00 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

The car just clicked 50k on the odo. Couldn't hurt changing the fluid and filter out.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

That's scary to think how bad it could have gotten had you been towing, for example.. Cooked transmission is bad!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Have the dealer techs verified your theory of the fluid expanding to the point it overflowed out of that vent tube due to the unplugged connection for the cooler? Or have they offered any alternative explanation of how/why transmission fluid was now suddenly overflowing?

If your theory is correct, that’s troublesome. That would mean the tranny fluid got pretty darn hot! Can’t be a good thing.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:00 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Have the dealer techs verified your theory of the fluid expanding to the point it overflowed out of that vent tube due to the unplugged connection for the cooler? Or have they offered any alternative explanation of how/why transmission fluid was now suddenly overflowing?

If your theory is correct, that’s troublesome. That would mean the tranny fluid got pretty darn hot! Can’t be a good thing.
The tiptronic control unit will store alerts if the oil reaches certain "overtemperature" stages. Should be easy to determine if overheating actually occurred.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:42 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Dealer called me friday. I was too busy to answer the phone. I'll find out Tuesday what's going on
Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Ok so my car is at the dealer for a few little issues. One being the transmission was leaking from the top. The dealer found that it wasn't a leak but fluid was coming out from some overflow tube and running down the driver's side of the transmission. They also said the transmission cooler plug was disconnected. I have no idea what that is or how it got disconnected as the only people who ever worked on this car are the Porsche dealers. Wondering if the overflow could be from the transmission fluid expanding when hot and overflowing?

I inquired about how it could have come unplugged and I pretty much went right to work they have done on the car in the past. They said probably not them. Now I'm asking the forums for insight into this.

1. Does anyone know where this so called Cooler plug is located?

2. Could it have been disconnected by a technician doing work on other parts of the car?
I was puzzled by this - so I went digging on AllDataDIY.. and here is your answer:

I'm sure they're referring to the item I've circled in red. Problem is - the description/photo don't say exactly where it is. I can guess at the purpose of it. When the transmission is cold - ideally it wants to get to operating temperature as quickly as possible. This valve is probably used to control coolant flow into the heat exchanger shown in the top picture. When the transmission is cold, coolant is shut off from the heat exchanger so the transmission heats up quickly. Once the transmission gets to temperature - it probably opens up allowing the heat exchanger to regulate the transmission temperature. WAG - if it's unplugged - it fails closed - allowing for no coolant to get to the heat exchanger - so the transmission oil got hotter - probably a lot hotter - than it should have. That would IMHO be a good reason to change the transmission fluid.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:55 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Damn, I just picked up the car this morning. I'm wondering if I could have got them to replace the fluid under warranty.

I spoke with my advisor about it and he said, "Lets keep an eye on it". It shifts perfectly and I don't notice any issues. we also looks did up and the first transmission change occurs at over 100k. So I think I'm good. I'm going to drain some oil out this weekend and replace with the same amount, a ghetto flush. i'll post up a pic of the fluid and you guys can be the judge if I should change it all out.

Just glad to have the car back.

Quick Reply: Transmission Leak found