Sponsored By:

958 GTS - HVAC Fan in-op

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:27 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 958 GTS - HVAC Fan in-op

Everything else about the entire system and displays work, etc, but ZERO fan speed or air flow. Even when the fan speed display shows full speed. It's hot here now and I need my A/C!
Anyone have similar experience, or ideas on the fix?

Car is under CPO warranty and I have an appt at dealer but they misdiagnosed this when I brought it in a few months ago in the winter when the fan wouldn't blow ANY warm air.
It miraculously started working again before I got it to them. They couldn't replicate the problem and it has been working since. Just stopped blowing again today.
My worst fear is intermittent problem!

Thx
Old 05-10-2018, 08:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Fan motor failed. Let them replace it. Insist on it even if it suddenly starts working on the way over. If you have a code reader like Durametric or iCarScan - bet'cha the gateway will report an over-current occurrence on the HVAC fan. Meaning it was binding up and the gateway turned it off to prevent it from catching fire.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:34 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep, sounds exactly what happened to mine! Dropped off at the local independent place for some investigation work and picked it up. Get home and the fan stops.... grrr... quick diagnostic shows the HVAC system is working and it does blow cold and hot when moving (air pressure pushing some air through, but only a small amount). So clearly looks to be the fan. Ordered a replacement one from eBay (from a 2012 Cayenne that is being broken) and replaced it. Works better than ever now and clearly something was up with it for some time!

Replacement isnt actually that hard too - its in the passenger footwell and when you take the lower trim off, you can eventually liberate it from the lower dash. Its a bit of a pain to get to, but replacement is a 40 - 60 minute job. Replaced unit (simple plug and play) and fan works again. Took the time to make sure the pollen filter was seated correctly (it wasnt) and make sure the hoses are OK (they werent). Done and sorted. Seems to be a common issue and from what I can tell, its the same fan unit from the VW Toureg and a couple of other VW models.

There are brand new replacement parts available from other brands / non-OEM parts, but I decided that a replacement from an existing Cayenne was best ($250 delivered). Non-OEM parts seem to start at around $400 and the original Porsche part is around $600. Take your choice, but its not complicated and its not hard to do. Personally, I didnt want the $100/hr charge and an expensive part in there, as I can easily replace it again if it does fail. Oh, and it does appear that this is a common part that does fail.

There is a threat here on Rennlist that covers the steps, but I cant seem to find it at the moment - try searching.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 PM
verdeithaca
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have nothing to help but just wanted to say those wheels look fantastic.

Quick Reply: 958 GTS - HVAC Fan in-op