Sponsored By:

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:32 PM
mblayton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C question

I was wondering if anyone has an issue with the A/C not cooling the interior?

On ours (2015 Diesel) the A/C blows on near high fan speed all the time even after driving for some time, it seems to never drop in fan speed and you always have a warm feeling. Porsche has checked it and said the refrigerant level was correct.

It is on Auto and my side I keep at 73 the wife likes 71, the little bars on the display are always 5-6 bars. Any ideas? We have had cars/SUV's that you freeze inside and rather quickly after it's been sitting outside.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

That is not normal. My Cayenne cools very well in the hot/humid Texas heat.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:52 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Abby-normal. Even in Florida. If you have an iCarScan - there are pressure/temperature readings you can do with it to check the fill - tells you the evaporator pressure/temperature, and there are charts available that tell you what it should be. Only other possibility is that both your heat/cooling dampers/mixers crapped out - at the same time - which is quite unlikely.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM
mblayton
Intermediate

Forgot to mention that we run on Auto but as I said the fan blows near high all the time.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the PCM there is a setting that allows you to select the flow of the air. Mine is set on strong. When it is set on the middle setting (normal, i think). I dont like the way the temp in car feels. When it is on "strong" the fan blows a lot and it makes more noise than I would really like. I would set the temps at "low" and check the temp coming out of the vents. It doesn't matter what the freon is doing if the car is not giving you full cold air. My car has been in the garage all day. It started it and let it run for 3 or 4 minutes. My car was blowing 46.5 out the vent on left side of the PCM. The temp was set at "lo". I used one of the cheap IR temp guns like this one. I hope that helps.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Turns out each vent has a temperature sensor I believe.. those are readable in the HVAC section on the iCarScan. I suspect they're used by the controller to feed data to the computer to figure out what demand is.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:44 PM
mblayton
Intermediate

This is after 1 hour of driving between 6-7pm tonight. Fan still blowing quite high and still have a warm feeling while driving.

What is "PCM" is that the computer?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The PCM is the NAV screen radio thing. Push the physical button below it that says "car". I think the next button would be Optons. Then One of the settings is lighting, one says something like air conditioning, and the 3rd choice is back up cam settings. Look around in the settings for the thing sounds most like air conditioning.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've literally had my cayenne in the shop for this 3 times and not once did they check that! Thanks. Moved it to "strong" and will hope for the best.

Thanks Rennlist Community!

Originally Posted by genebopp
The PCM is the NAV screen radio thing. Push the physical button below it that says "car". I think the next button would be Optons. Then One of the settings is lighting, one says something like air conditioning, and the 3rd choice is back up cam settings. Look around in the settings for the thing sounds most like air conditioning.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Wonder if.. the early Cayenne had a problem with cooling under certain situations. IF the vent on the drivers' side in the central area was pointed toward the driver - the system wouldn't cool correctly. For a very very oddball reason..

The vent is held in with 4 clips. The clips go through holes in the plastic housing the vent assembly. If the inner vanes were set to send air hard left out of the vent, they also pushed air out through one of the holes the clips went into. That cold air ended up hitting the back of the interior cabin temperature sensor - which is the little thing that looks like an LED in the dash next to the vent - but doesn't light up. The sensor then told the HVAC controller that the cabin was much cooler than it actually was.

The fix was a self-adhesive patch on the outside of the vent assembly around the clip, effectively closing the hole up.

The symptoms that reveal if this is the problem is - turn the vent the other way - do the other vents now blow colder (give them about 2-3 minutes to adjust)? When you first start the system does it cool well, and then seem to decrease in cooling? (Takes the sensor a bit of time to react to the cold air hitting it.) Here is a post I made on the problem, complete with photos: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14533189
Old 07-17-2018, 11:08 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I would check it with an iCarScan. I also felt our 2016 S was not cooling as well as it should, particularly when air temps got up around 90, and had my dealer check it when it was in for its 10,000 mile service. My PCM was already set at "strong". Unfortunately I got the very condescending "works according to manufacturer's specs" response from the dealer.

I was pretty sure it was not working correctly and suspected the dealer never checked it properly, and as the summer got warmer, I sought out the other Porsche dealer in my area. They were much, much more accommodating and during my appointment, the service manager advised me they had found a small number of Cayennes that were not fully charged from the factory. They advised they would evacuate the system and recharge it to specs. I found the difference to be significantly better. It still doesn't cool quite as well as our Mercedes SUV, but I attribute most of that to the fact that when we start out in a hot car, the MB system blows a much greater volume of air which brings temps down quicker.

I also agree the Cayenne fan/vent system is a bit noisy and seems to run at a higher level than our other cars. Anyway, the first dealer has lost my business, which includes two P-cars.

Last edited by golftime; 07-18-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar/spelling
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the same AC problem in my 2011 958. The AC hadn't kept the vehicle cool for years. Last month I followed the process described by deilenberger and the AC was instantly fixed. In addition to the felt tape, while the vent was out, I stuffed a piece of foam rubber in the gap between the vent and the back of the red sensor.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 AM
mblayton
Intermediate

Well now I can see there is a problem and it not just us thinking there is an issue. Ours has been in twice for evac and recharge and it still blows insufficient cold.

I also find the fan speed a real problem as it runs near high all the time even though it is set at 72 or 73 degrees, it is really annoying and sounds like you're driving with windows open. This and other issues we have had has not been a very good first time ownership and are going to get rid of the Cayenne, only good thing about this is the fuel economy.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Wonder if.. the early Cayenne had a problem with cooling under certain situations. IF the vent on the drivers' side in the central area was pointed toward the driver - the system wouldn't cool correctly. For a very very oddball reason..

The vent is held in with 4 clips. The clips go through holes in the plastic housing the vent assembly. If the inner vanes were set to send air hard left out of the vent, they also pushed air out through one of the holes the clips went into. That cold air ended up hitting the back of the interior cabin temperature sensor - which is the little thing that looks like an LED in the dash next to the vent - but doesn't light up. The sensor then told the HVAC controller that the cabin was much cooler than it actually was.

The fix was a self-adhesive patch on the outside of the vent assembly around the clip, effectively closing the hole up.

The symptoms that reveal if this is the problem is - turn the vent the other way - do the other vents now blow colder (give them about 2-3 minutes to adjust)? When you first start the system does it cool well, and then seem to decrease in cooling? (Takes the sensor a bit of time to react to the cold air hitting it.) Here is a post I made on the problem, complete with photos: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14533189
Thanks for that! I have my cell phone positioned right in front of that vent, and have reduced the flow out of it for that reason - it wouldn't surprise me if I'm experiencing a little bit of that.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

If the fan is blowing on a higher setting but you're not feeling much air..have you checked the HVAC filter? It's not a big deal to pull it, and it may be packed up with crap, reducing flow..

Quick Reply: A/C question