Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like there is something wrong. I had an incident last year during the summer time when I had to have some warranty work performed on my 2011 CS, the drivers side fan switch was not working correctly. They fixed the switch problem and since I had my English bulldog with us, I turned the AC on max cool. My wife and I drove off and the AC decided to not work. The fan was blowing but it was not blowing cool air. U-turn! We drove in and they immediately got a technician on it and he hooked up a PIWIS. They reset the cooling system and it was great after the reset. Here is the kicker. My SA told me that the system is working correctly. The AC system will stop blowing cool air when the system starts to get to hot. It will continue to blow air but the cooling system will stop the refrigeration process in order to cool down the system. I can attest to this because I was driving up the Grapevine (aka. Tejon Pass) on the I5. It is a 6% grade for about five miles. In the summer heat, the cooling system is taxed hard. I was about 2/3s up the hill when the AC stopped blowing cool air while I was driving at a modest 80 mph. After driving for another 5 minutes after cresting the hill, the cooling system had recovered and the AC started blowing cool air again. So, maybe your system needs a reset and possibly your AC monitoring system is not working correctly. Just my two cents.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The fix was a self-adhesive patch on the outside of the vent assembly around the clip, effectively closing the hole up
Don is absolutely right. When my ‘12 Cayenne S was in for some CPO work at my local Stealership to deal with (among othe things) an occasional crapping out of my AC, I asked the SA if what Don described could be the cause. He agreed 100%, saying that this is generally the cause of that problem and he told me that is the first thing he normally checks. So this appears to be at least known among the Stealerships, although doesn’t seem to be proactively addressed with owners.

Many thanks to Don for this handy tip
Old 07-26-2018, 12:36 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The fix was a self-adhesive patch on the outside of the vent assembly around the clip, effectively closing the hole up.
Here's the Technical Service Bulletin.
Attached Images
Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 PM
TonyVan
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Closing the ventilation system from outside air helps with cooling. Button is next to the SYNC button in the picture,
Old 07-27-2018, 11:24 AM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I had the same AC problem in my 2011 958. The AC hadn't kept the vehicle cool for years. Last month I followed the process described by deilenberger and the AC was instantly fixed. In addition to the felt tape, while the vent was out, I stuffed a piece of foam rubber in the gap between the vent and the back of the red sensor.
Had issues with mine getting things cold on hot days and did the tape thing - didn't have felt tape so used something else, but it does make a difference. Additionally, I had a phone mount that with the phone in it, would also influence the airflow and cause it to behave oddly. Small change with the tape, move the phone and things worked MUCH better. Its not fantastic, but its good.

But one thing that did make a difference for me was leaving the recirculating air button on. Was talking to a Cayenne owner about this and he mentioned that its a 'Porsche thing' that you can select the recirculating button on and it will stay on if you stop and re-start the car. I cant think of another car that does this, but Porsches do! So keep the recirculating button on, set the right temp and airflow and make sure the sensor isn't getting fooled - then it works much better.

Quick Reply: A/C question