Sponsored By:

Different AC/Heater Blower Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different AC/Heater Blower Issue

New 2013 Cayenne owner with 30K. I've noticed (actually the wife did) that the blower makes a high pitched intermittent noise that resembles a jet engine running in the distance, almost a whirling type of noise but it's very faint, seems the most prominent in the higher settings. Is this indicative of an impending blower motor failure? Also, I noticed that the second hand of the analog clock has come off the shaft and is laying in the bottom of the clock face, is this a common issue? I'm asking because I just have a 90 day, 6K warranty and want to head off issues while still under the dealer (AutoNation) warranty, thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

1. The blower motor likely has a failing bearing if it is the noise I think you are describing
2. The hand falling off the clock is extremely common - shame on Porsche for that one!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Moving this off to the 958 subforum. That's what you bought - Cayennes from 2011-current are designated "958" in Porsche talk.

Hang on..
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

As nodoors pointed out - a bearing is going in the blower motor. It needs to be replaced. It can be a DIY job (motor costs from $150-400 depending on where you get it) but since you have a warranty (hope the 90 day warranty is bumper to bumper..)

The clock - they "all do that.." at least the early ones. There are DIY threads (one written by moi..) on putting the hand back on. Problem is - it will likely come off again. The design of the second-hand changed on later clocks. The early one seems to curl up slightly when it gets hot, then the minute hand slides under the curled up end, and simply pries it off the second-hand shaft. The newer hand has a slight triangular cross-section that I suspect was done to keep it from curling up. The clock isn't made by Porsche.. in the thread is info on who makes it - and an email address. Sometimes they respond to the email address offering up some free new hands - sometimes they completely ignore us.

It's not hard to put the second hand back on - but I can almost guarantee that it will be off again within a few months. It takes a while because the hand has to be in just the right position for the minute hand to pry it off.. but eventually it does.

You can try to see how good the warranty is - if it covers things like a clock (doubtful.. IMHO) - they're likely to resist it since it's not required for safe operation of the car, and a new clock from Porsche is upwards of $400+ - and that's the only clock that will work since it's computer controlled.

Good luck - let us know how it works out for you.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:44 PM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

Thanks you all for the responses! I talked with the dealer today and I'm taking it in tomorrow for their techs to check it out. The warranty paperwork specifically calls out AC/heater blower motors and also digital & analog "Instruments" so we'll see how that goes. I have a 5 day 250 mile "money back guarantee" so I have that as leverage as well but I'm hopeful for a amicable solution.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

AutoNation is warranting the blower motor but pushed back on the clock. Yesterday the wife is coming home and she thought a bee stung her on her foot while driving, she pulled over and found her foot was "burned" by a hot liquid...I have know idea what that may be but I did find the passenger side floor wet so the A/C vent is apparently plugged, I'll have them clear that when R&Ring the blower motor. Is there anything over the drivers side floor that would contain a hot liquid that could drip?
Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Leaking heater core? Take a right turn, the 200° coolant sloshes left, and...

Have you had to add any coolant?
Old 02-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

I've only had the vehicle for about a week and I have not checked the coolant level, I will tonight. Heater core theory makes sense although she was making a right turn into our neighborhood, I'll have to look at that too.

Quick Reply: Different AC/Heater Blower Issue