Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011-2014 V8 - serious issue - Coolant Pipe Glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021 | 07:25 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

That was my mistake when I overhauled my cooling system. I didn't realize I needed two o-rings (thermostat to head) and had to reuse one of them. They were still soft, so I conditioned it with the DOW o-ring conditioner and reused it. Next time I take it apart I will replace both of them.
Old 09-14-2021 | 08:47 PM
Wrecked Em
Track Day

Anyone doing a re-glue should strongly consider using a bond line controller. Especially if you're using a questionable grade of epoxy.
https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/b...ntroller-group
Old 02-06-2022 | 05:36 PM
xhifer
Advanced

When did dealers start installing the new screwed on pipe design? I just bought a 2010 Turbo and records showed a coolant leak fix and thermostat housing replacement, but no other details. This was done early 2014.

Or does anyone know how the dealers were fixing them?

Last edited by xhifer; 02-06-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2022 | 06:41 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xhifer
When did dealers start installing the new screwed on pipe design? I just bought a 2010 Turbo and records showed a coolant leak fix and thermostat housing replacement, but no other details. This was done early 2014.

Or does anyone know how the dealers were fixing them?
@xhifer 2010 Turbo? You might be in the wrong subforum...this one is for 958 models...
Old 02-06-2022 | 07:33 PM
xhifer
Advanced

It is a Panamera but I thought it was the same coolant pipe v8 design.
Old 07-06-2023 | 05:06 PM
Turbo_Time
3rd Gear

Default 2014 leak

Got the leak on my 2014 Turbo with 115k miles. My Indy shop is charging $950 for parts, he is replacing everything coolant related with new and updated parts. The labor is only $1500. Thought this was a pretty good deal.
Old 08-23-2023 | 05:26 PM
2012 PANAMERA S
1st Gear

Default Aluminum coolant pipe out! Need glue to get back

Originally Posted by sjg1138
FYI,

My 2011 S with 83K miles on it had a failure of the glue (Loctite 638/648) that holds an aluminum coolant pipe into the thermostat housing on the front of the engine. As a result I lost an unknown amount of coolant and the engine temperature rose. I would not be surprised if we start to see more of these failures as our cars age and the glue is exposed to more and more heat cycles.

The reason for this failure was the failing of the glue. Porsche had the exact same problem on GT2/3s and there was an NHTSA investigation. At the end of the investigation, Porsche convinced the NHTSA that there were no safety issues with this failure. The link below at the NHTSA will download a very interesting doc on this. One nugget in here is that 2011-2014 Cayennes and 2010-2014 Panameras used the same glue.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/201...009-57948P.pdf
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2007/P...investigations

Porsche says that they introduced a glue application metering system to make sure the fittings received the correct amount of glue in 2008 implying that the failures were due to not enough glue being used. Obviously this is not the case.
Also Porsche mentions that there isnt a safety issue because in the GT2/3s the coolant comes out behind the rear wheels - this is obviously not the case for Cayennes and Panameras.

Anyway, if anyone here has had this failure, please post in this thread. If there is enough evidence that this is a big issue, maybe we can get the NHTSA to take a look. One idea would be to build a list of all the failures for all cars that have had this failure - across all Porsche models.

BTW, Porsche has a "fix" for this issue that uses threads instead of glue. Go figure. The cost is $1,800 to have a dealer implement the fix. Ask me how I know.

Old 04-08-2024 | 05:03 PM
acuhon
Rennlist Member

Default Rear Coolant pipe leak

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Looks like it might be the rear fitting. If so, you're in luck - there is an easy way to repair this! I did it this fall - see the thread where this post is from. Note that my post describes a fast and simple way to make the repair https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4862550

EDIT: For those that don't click on the link here is my post: "I just did this repair on my 2011 S. Found that by lying under the car head toward the rear I could use my right hand through “the hole” and then easily see the repair area from an opening where the control arm attaches to the frame. Had the hood up and daylight shining in. Using that view I was able to clean the insert pipe “in situ” with a razor blade and battery terminal post wire bush (*this was a perfect fit). Final clean with brake solvent. Applied the Marine JB Weld adhesive and plugged the hose insert back into the fitting. Total repair time was less than an hour. Did not have remove hose clamps, My rubber hose was in perfect condition."
Thanks for the link Chris. You saved me a lot of time and money doing it the easy way. I had that fitting comletly out . Now just waiting for JB weld to cure.
Old 04-21-2024 | 09:12 AM
Realtimestories
Track Day

I had the same failure on my 2013 Turbo with about 95 thousand km mileage. One day the joke pipe came off and i lost my Coolant in a very quick time, within an hour and City driving.
​​​​
My indy Garage patched it up with glue again, so far it has been Holding. I don’t think there was any o-rings however replaced, should there have been?

I still have Coolant smell with a Hot engine, but since i don’t have any Coolant missing or leaking i thought it might still be residue left over from when the car spilled all the existing Coolant, so i was thinking of doing an engine wash or so, does this make sense to anyone, or would you think i most likely still have some Micro leak?

Quick Reply: 2011-2014 V8 - serious issue - Coolant Pipe Glue