Sponsored By:

Black "diesel" badges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Black "diesel" badges?

Anybody know if these exist? If so, got a P/N?

Want to black out the rest of the trim on my '15 CD. It's already got the gloss black window trim. Trying to track down a set of gloss black RS Spyder wheels. Going to remove the chrome "Cayenne" on the back and swap the chrome "P O R S C H E" for black ones.

I can find the black PORSCHE logo. I can find a black Cayenne (even tho I think I'm gonna skip it altogether).

But I like the little 'diesel' script on the fender. Want it in black.

I suppose I could try plasti-dip worst case...
Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Plastidip. I don't think Porsche makes a black diesel badge.

I did mine, but had to peel it off because I messed something up and it looked bad. I'll redo it when I get some time to make sure it's right. You can do matte or gloss with Plastidip, too.

Where did you get the window trim and how much was that? I'll probably just go Plastidip there, too, but if it's reasonable, maybe not.

When the letters were blacked out, it looked really good against the white paint. Would look good against your silver, too.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:56 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm going to remove them altogether - It would be one thing if other models had something there, but it just seems out of place. I'm going to put those badges on my pit scooter (Yamaha Zuma) just to mess with people.

Like you, I'm going to replace the lettering on the rear. Terrified to try it myself.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
Plastidip. I don't think Porsche makes a black diesel badge.

I did mine, but had to peel it off because I messed something up and it looked bad. I'll redo it when I get some time to make sure it's right. You can do matte or gloss with Plastidip, too.

Where did you get the window trim and how much was that? I'll probably just go Plastidip there, too, but if it's reasonable, maybe not.

When the letters were blacked out, it looked really good against the white paint. Would look good against your silver, too.
The window trim is option code QJ4 - mine was built with the black trim.

As for the "diesel" logo - you're probably right. When I look for the black "PORSCHE" etc. they're Cayenne GTS part numbers. Probably no reason to offer the "diesel" in black.

I might try plasti-dip. Worst case I'll just de-badge it there, but I kinda like it. I wonder how well it will hold up to car wash brushes, etc?

And I agree - should look good against the silver.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I'm going to remove them altogether - It would be one thing if other models had something there, but it just seems out of place. I'm going to put those badges on my pit scooter (Yamaha Zuma) just to mess with people.

Like you, I'm going to replace the lettering on the rear. Terrified to try it myself.
My buddy did it on his Macan, said it was fairly easy. He said he left a tiny bit of residue from the original badge behind so he could more easily align the new ones.

Still paranoid I'll screw it up.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:07 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

It should hold up well, if done right, but only time will tell that.

I did the letters on my BS and didn't wash them any less than the rest of the car. Admittedly, I didn't run it through a car wash, though. They held up perfectly.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok good to know.

Maybe I'll experiment with plasti-dipping all the emblems first before dropping 80 bucks for the official ones.

While I love my CD and it will get lots of care - it is a DD and it will see occasional automated car washes (unlike my Cayman or the wife's Boxster which is hand-wash only...)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

I've got some time today, so I think I'll tackle the diesel badges again. I'll leave the tailgate for another day, I think, so I don't feel rushed.

For the record, the PORSCHE letters are easy. The Cayenne and diesel ones, with their smaller spaces, require more attention to detail.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:30 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

+1 on Plastidip for blacking out the badges. I did this on my 2012 Meteor Gray Metallic Cayenne S and it's a pretty simple upgrade with a great result. There was thread on this and I posted up before/during/after pics on post #7: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...lasti-dip.html

It's dead easy, but Skiahh is right that the smaller spaces around the "Cayenne" and "S" require some extra patience and a more precise tool to remove the excess PlastiDip material (I used a toothpick). Good luck on the job, and post up pics when you're done
Old 01-30-2018, 06:39 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
+1 on Plastidip for blacking out the badges. I did this on my 2012 Meteor Gray Metallic Cayenne S and it's a pretty simple upgrade with a great result. There was thread on this and I posted up before/during/after pics on post #7: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...lasti-dip.html

It's dead easy, but Skiahh is right that the smaller spaces around the "Cayenne" and "S" require some extra patience and a more precise tool to remove the excess PlastiDip material (I used a toothpick). Good luck on the job, and post up pics when you're done
Ok.

Thank you for the link, and the pictures. FANTASTIC! And another Chicago guy to boot! (Have we met before at some point I wonder....?)

I was picturing having to literally mask all the paint, to where JUST the chrome emblems were showing. Masking a giant square looks much easier.

But how did you separate the dip on the paint from the dip on the emblems? I've never worked with the stuff.... I assume it needs to be "scored" somehow?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:10 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok.

Thank you for the link, and the pictures. FANTASTIC! And another Chicago guy to boot! (Have we met before at some point I wonder....?)

I was picturing having to literally mask all the paint, to where JUST the chrome emblems were showing. Masking a giant square looks much easier.

But how did you separate the dip on the paint from the dip on the emblems? I've never worked with the stuff.... I assume it needs to be "scored" somehow?
Thanks man, I was really happy with how it came out, especially on the Meteor Grey Metallic exterior. YouTube was my best friend on this as I needed to understand how to apply it and how to remove it. It’s DEFINITELY a good idea to watch a bunch of videos to see the best way to do this. The key for me was multiple coats (starting with light coverage), leaving a sufficiently wide overspray area (this makes it WAY easier when you go to pull it off), waiting 15-ish minutes between each coat, and then being patient and diligent on pulling it off. The beauty of PlastiDip is that it’s 100% removable if you mess it up, and the stuff has worn like iron since I put it on last year. No need to score it, as it naturally separates when you pull it up off the surface to leave the raised surfaces covered while coming off 100% clean ftom the body.

Search YouTube for ”plastidip” and you’ll find a ton of videos of pros and amateurs who have shot really helpful tutorials on how to do it. I watched probably 50 videos before I took a deep breath and did it myself! I’d say it’s the best $8 mod you’ll ever do on your PiG

Last edited by North Shore 911; 01-30-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by North Shore 911

Thanks man, I was really happy with how it came out, especially on the Meteor Grey Metallic exterior. YouTube was my best friend on this as I needed to understand how to apply it and how to remove it. It’s DEFINITELY a good idea to watch a bunch of videos to see the best way to do this. The key for me was multiple coats (starting with light coverage), leaving a sufficiently wide overspray area (this makes it WAY easier when you go to pull it off), waiting 15-ish minutes between each coat, and then being patient and diligent on pulling it off. The beauty of PlastiDip is that it’s 100% removable if you mess it up, and the stuff has worn like iron since I put it on last year. No need to score it, as it naturally separates when you pull it up off the surface to leave the raised surfaces covered while coming off 100% clean ftom the body.

Search YouTube for ”plastidip” and you’ll find a ton of videos of pros and amateurs who have shot really helpful tutorials on how to do it. I watched probably 50 videos before I took a deep breath and did it myself! I’d say it’s the best $8 mod you’ll ever do on your PiG
Yes, check out some YT videos first. Search for plastidip car emblems. Also, you may or may not find the tips/tricks videos, but one thing to do is warm the can. And keep it in a can of warm (not too hot) water; that makes the rubber flow better, atomize better and give a better finish. There are ways to get a smoother finish, too, by spraying heavier. That's what I was trying to do on my CD, so I'm not sure if I put too much on or what happened. I'm going to try again for the smooth finish (the standard instruction give a slightly rough texture, but only noticeable from fairly close).

It truly is an easy project. I didn't get to mine this afternoon - had to run out and get a new can, so I'll tackle it tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
My buddy did it on his Macan, said it was fairly easy. He said he left a tiny bit of residue from the original badge behind...
For those removing the letters entirely, Turtle Wax T-529 works nicely.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-31-2018, 11:36 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Awesome. Just might try it this weekend.

I have a feeling I'm going to splurge and just "do up" the Cayenne to be *exactly* how I'd have *ordered* one if I could. Well... almost. I'd have wanted the black/red two tone interior (all black, like I have, would've been my 2nd choice), but otherwise, would've been a lighter exterior color (and I dig my silver), black trim, black wheels, black badges, PP+, Burmester, and the carbon fiber trim package.

I'm missing out on the wheels, badges, and carbon. I can fix this..... hheeellloooooo Suncoast....
Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

As far as factory OEM black 'diesel' badges go, I don't believe that was ever offered as an option (as you could with the rear PORSCHE badging). To get black OEM 'diesel' badging would have required someone to specify that at time of placing the vehicle order through Porsche's Exclusive program. And a very EXCLUSIVE price would have come with that as well! For example, Suncoast currently offers a limited supply of genuine Porsche Exclusive gloss black badging of the 'PORSCHE Cayenne S/GTS/turbo' for the rear tailgate....$495 + shipping. You'd want to be VERY careful with that install!

Quick Reply: Black "diesel" badges?