Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:36 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If you do order this from BlueSpark, remember to put NOVAT under the discount code. Drops the price significantly for those outside of the UK.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:48 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Wouldn't they automatically not charge VAT to a USA buyer?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

It isn’t the default. You have to apply the code. I’ll let others speculate as to why.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Kish
It isn’t the default. You have to apply the code. I’ll let others speculate as to why.
That's borderline...shady.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Agreed. I understand that most of their clients are in the U.K. and EU where VAT needs to be paid but when you select USA, VAT shouldn't be charged automatically
Old 02-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I got a chance to drive a Malone stage 2 tuned CD last night with a stock '15-'16 exhaust, post-fix. - It was a very well done package. It's just more of everything they give us from the factory. I'm a little skeptical of 330hp and 540lb-ft, but it pulled cleanly and with authority at any throttle input/RPM.

Notes from our time, hooking up my OBD adapter and running the Torque app:
It drove smooth as butter - no misses, hesitations, stuttering...nothing.
*slightly* more diesel noise from 1600-2200, but NOTHING objectionable at all. Only really audible with HVAC off.
Peak EGT's are lower than stock! Stock, on a 0-100 run we saw EGT's up to 1400-1450 every time. With the tune, we saw 1400 once. 1350 seems to be where Malone dials back the fueling a little, and it stays around there. I am impressed.
0-60 .7 second decrease with only two 0-60 runs on it (and it should get a little better as the transmission learns to start the shift sooner, since the engine revs faster through the lower gears and seems to hit the limiter in 1st gear)
Driving around normally in "normal", it's a pussycat - Same as stock. Hit sport and roll into it - the boost builds FAST and she scoots.
Saw 28.5psi boost max, about 4 more than stock.

It's tempting!
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Very tempting....
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got lucky and helped a friend last night load a Malone Stage 2 tune into his CD and then drive it. The process to load the tune is easy, you read the stock tune with a tuner box you buy from Malone called a Flashzilla. You then email the stock tune to Malone and they build the tuned file for you, which you upload into the Flashzilla. Then you use the Flashzilla to upload the tuned file to the Cayenne's ECU. The Flashzilla can also read and erase check engine lights/codes.
Process for uploading the tune took longer than I expected and while it was happening all sorts of dash warning lights come on and go off, with bells and chimes. A little disconcerting! All was well tho in the end.
Onto the drive, the motor feels like a huge weight has been lifted off its shoulders. It revs much more easily, smoothness is the same, I didn't notice any more diesel clatter than before. You need much smaller throttle openings to acheive the same speed. When you get heavy into the throttle, the truck moves, now! Hard to quantify the gains without putting it on a dyno, but the butt dyno says the gains over stock are substantial.
Definitely a well done package, Porsche should've tuned them like this from the factory.

Food for thought, gonna be hard to not pull the trigger on it...
Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds great. If only you could do this without voiding warranty!!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:08 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

That is the rub. You can flash it back to stock with the Flashzilla, at that point the dealer would have to be very suspicious of something to check the ECU's flash count. They wouldn't be able to tell what was done, just that a flash occured.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:21 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Kish
If you do order this from BlueSpark, remember to put NOVAT under the discount code. Drops the price significantly for those outside of the UK.
Thanks for this! I just ordered a few days ago, and didn't know about this. I emailed them last night asking if I was charged VAT, and this morning got an email back that they had issued me a partial refund. No apology or anything, just a "here's your money"... Definitely a bid shady on their part.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:33 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
That is the rub. You can flash it back to stock with the Flashzilla, at that point the dealer would have to be very suspicious of something to check the ECU's flash count. They wouldn't be able to tell what was done, just that a flash occured.
Would there be a date when a flash occurred? Interested to see longer term feedback..
Old 03-07-2018, 02:37 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I don't know if the ECU logs the date/time every time it was flashed. Any Porsche techs wanna chime in on that?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I know I am quite tempted to get a Malone tune. Had one on my Touareg, really wakes it up. I asked the VW dealership if they were going to void my warranty, they had no issue and actually liked the fact that I was going to remove the DPF, Add Blue, and the EGR, three common problems, nothing to fix.

My point in all this is I have searched the forums, lots of discussion about warranty being voided with a tune and I have yet to find a post discussing a voided warranty claim based on a tune.

If I tune the cayenne I will leave all the emission in tact.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yup, if you pull the emissions stuff off and install a Rawtek exhaust pipe, then you can't flash back to stock. Apparently the Rawtek exhaust makes a big difference too, I'm curious about it, but I have to pass emissions where I live and doubt I'd get passed with it installed.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?