help 958 Cayenne DME problem/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:39 AM
voksboy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help 958 Cayenne DME problem/replacement

HI Guys, have a 2011 958 3.6L with DME failure. Need options

I was thinking of finding a used DME with the same part number and switching it out. Can that work?

Is there a place I can send the DME to have it fixed?

Any other options?

Apparently the DME got wet over time due to dirt/rain leak.

Thanks

Last edited by voksboy; 01-04-2018 at 04:41 AM. Reason: missed the word DME
Old 01-04-2018, 05:23 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Voksboy, I'm moving this thread to the correct section of the forum in the hopes you get some help. DME's are typically coded to the vehicle VIN#, and that has to match the VIN# stored in other modules for the DME to work. So - answer is - no. New one is probably needed along with some dealer coding of the new unit to mate it to the other modules in the car.

Meanwhile - moving the thread. HANG ON!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 AM
voksboy
8th Gear

Right so if that’s not an option, any recommendations on who can repair it?

Stealer ship is trying ro charge a lot of money to replace that part. Buying a new one online is an option but prefer a cost effective solution like repair or used (which can’t work?).

thanks
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Independents can do a lot of this when vehicles are several years old. It'd have to be one with PIWIS.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by voksboy
Right so if that’s not an option, any recommendations on who can repair it?

Stealer ship is trying ro charge a lot of money to replace that part. Buying a new one online is an option but prefer a cost effective solution like repair or used (which can’t work?).

thanks
Offhand - I can't think of anyplace that could fix it. There haven't been enough failures for a company to reverse engineer the DME (a huge undertaking) which would be the first step on repairing it. Sorry to bear bad news - but I think your only path here is the dealer one. I don't know of any device that can copy the settings from an existent dead DME and paste them into a used one or even a new one. I suspect the dealer might be able to program a new one, but would guess they wouldn't even try on a used one.

Sorry..
Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If you had a water leak that caused the failed DME, it might be worth contacting your auto insurance company to see if you can make a claim.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:07 AM
voksboy
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Offhand - I can't think of anyplace that could fix it. There haven't been enough failures for a company to reverse engineer the DME (a huge undertaking) which would be the first step on repairing it. Sorry to bear bad news - but I think your only path here is the dealer one. I don't know of any device that can copy the settings from an existent dead DME and paste them into a used one or even a new one. I suspect the dealer might be able to program a new one, but would guess they wouldn't even try on a used one.

Sorry..
Unfortunatly doesn't work that way in this side of the world. Dealership will allow me to purchase a new one and bring it to them but won't give me the part number. So actually need have the car pulled out, then check the DME part number before I move any further. I've found a company that says they have new 1000+ range and another one saying they can check it first for a fee and if they can fix it, then they charge.

Water damage came in from the rain vent/that plasic bit cover before above the dme. So I'm told.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:17 AM
deilenberger
Banned

You (and the dealership) should be able to look up the PN using the vehicle VIN#. There are some on-line dealer parts catalogs that I'd be looking on if I was in your situation.

And yes - that plastic piece really does look rather sketchy to me..
Old 01-06-2018, 11:45 PM
voksboy
8th Gear

You would think it would be that easy. Unfortunately practice here, they tend to not give out parts numbers. So really only way, pull the car out next week.

hoping to find a cost effective solution for this. Seems like i’m the first one online to have this problem

20thstreetauto in Arizona is willing to have a go. Anyone use them before?
Old 01-07-2018, 03:45 AM
deilenberger
Banned

You would think it would be that easy. Unfortunately practice here, they tend to not give out parts numbers. So really only way, pull the car out next week.

hoping to find a cost effective solution for this. Seems like i’m the first one online to have this problem

20thstreetauto in Arizona is willing to have a go. Anyone use them before?
Where is "here"? I suspect a communications problem. There are ON LINE dealerships who have implemented the actual Porsche parts catalog. Some of them allow you to select your vehicle using the vehicle's VIN#. The DME is specific to your vehicle, identified by the VIN#. You don't need to get a dealer involved, you just have to search the parts catalog using your VIN# as the filter. Use Google to locate these dealers.

I don't know what you mean by "cost effective", Without the DME working the vehicle is useless, and of no real value except as scrap. If a new DME costs $2,000 - and the difference is between junking the vehicle and having it useable - then the $2,000 appears cost effective. If the DME is $20,000 - then it likely costs more than the vehicle is worth, and it's questionable if it's "cost effective." If you're just looking to fix this cheaply - I don't think that can be accomplished - making it questionable as far as "cost effective."

I've never heard of 20thstreetauto in Atlanta. What are they? If they're simply a repair shop, chances are they will conclude the same thing - you need a new DME coded to your vehicle. I just Googled them - they are a junkyard. How are they planning to help you?

Whatever - I'd predict that fixing this problem won't be cheap, but good luck with that.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 AM
voksboy
8th Gear

This is the part. Doesn’t look to be so special that a used one won’t work? When i check the part number it says, works for toureg?

Is this such a special ecu that it need to be program to that specific vin?
Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 AM
deilenberger
Banned

This is the part. Doesn’t look to be so special that a used one won’t work? When i check the part number it says, works for toureg?

Is this such a special ecu that it need to be program to that specific vin?
The ECU has to be programmed to the vehicle, engine and anti-theft system. I believe it's one time programming - once done - it is permanently "married" to that vehicle. That's why a used one isn't going to work. The VIN#'s programmed into them won't allow the engine to start. I suspect the dealer has to actually download the programming from the Porsche computers based on your VIN# - then burn it into the ECU.

I'd love to be proven wrong about this - but I've run into the same situation on BMW vehicles where a used ECU is basically worthless since it can't be reused,

You still haven't answered where you're from.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 AM
voksboy
8th Gear

Deleted

Last edited by voksboy; 01-09-2018 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 01-09-2018, 05:22 AM
voksboy
8th Gear

Deleted

Last edited by voksboy; 01-09-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 01-09-2018, 05:44 AM
voksboy
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The ECU has to be programmed to the vehicle, engine and anti-theft system. I believe it's one time programming - once done - it is permanently "married" to that vehicle. That's why a used one isn't going to work. The VIN#'s programmed into them won't allow the engine to start. I suspect the dealer has to actually download the programming from the Porsche computers based on your VIN# - then burn it into the ECU.

I'd love to be proven wrong about this - but I've run into the same situation on BMW vehicles where a used ECU is basically worthless since it can't be reused,

You still haven't answered where you're from.

Oh Philippines ����

Thank you for explaining why i can’t use a used ecu.

I expected this to be sealed / riveted. Suprised to find it used on Touareg’s and carries the VW logo

Hoping i find someone who can fix it. Thanks

Last edited by voksboy; 01-09-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: help 958 Cayenne DME problem/replacement