Sponsored By:

Coolant pipe issue 958.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 08:51 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Coolant pipe issue 958.1

Hi team: MY2011 Cayenne V8 NA with 80,000 trouble free miles .. While driving this week noticed a coolant leak after the low coolant light came on. Took it to my trusted Indy who says its the pipe at the back of the motor. Engine needs to come out for the fix. Estimated cost of repair is 4K and they suggst a permanent weld for a fix. Anybody had this issue and is there any chance if I approach my dealer or PCNA for this car thats out of warranty that it could be fixed at their cost ?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't help you, but I have 2014 and wondering should I get extended warranty or not.
Any chance you can take pics of the leak ? Any idea which part is it - https://www.porschepartsnow.com/v-20...oses-and-lines ?

Maybe worth getting an estimate from the dealer ?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:39 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Hi team: MY2011 Cayenne V8 NA with 80,000 trouble free miles .. While driving this week noticed a coolant leak after the low coolant light came on. Took it to my trusted Indy who says its the pipe at the back of the motor. Engine needs to come out for the fix. Estimated cost of repair is 4K and they suggst a permanent weld for a fix. Anybody had this issue and is there any chance if I approach my dealer or PCNA for this car thats out of warranty that it could be fixed at their cost ?
Have you been using the indy for all your out of warranty work? If so, chances are the dealer will tell you to have the indy do it at your expense. You aren't seen as an asset to the service department, and the only way Porsche would consider kicking in anything on a used out of warranty vehicle is if the dealer goes to them pleading that you're seen as a repeat customer, and look at all the service we did for him. I would estimate your chance of Porsche helping out at about the same as you being capable of jumping high enough to reach the moon.

That's pretty much how it works. Good will is considered sales promotion.

You might also read https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ngine-out.html - gives you lots of other money to spend while the engine is out.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Kirill
Racer

After some more thinking - I think 4k estimate is high.
Probably 100$ an hour rate and about 200$ part - than 40 hours of labor doesn't sound right. Book time for engine R&R is probably 8-16 hours - so about half of what they did quote.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you Kirill. I concur with you on the pricing. I will keep you all posted on this. The leak is at the cross pipe behind the motor .. when will Porsche start getting it right despite the lessons learnt from Gen 1.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Thank you Kirill. I concur with you on the pricing. I will keep you all posted on this. The leak is at the cross pipe behind the motor .. when will Porsche start getting it right despite the lessons learnt from Gen 1.
If they end up replacing the piece - please take back the bad piece and post pictures of the leaky pipe - we need group investigation into root cause
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Kirill
If they end up replacing the piece - please take back the bad piece and post pictures of the leaky pipe - we need group investigation into root cause
No investigation needed. Porsche believed a vendor (probably Loctite) that the polymer product used to glue the pipe into the cast manifold would last. Apparently on some engines it doesn't. It possibly is related to overheating, but I suspect that was Service Adviser BS - trying to sound expert on all things. Porsche fixed the problem with a new design using a screwed in fitting.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

So I believe I had the same issue today on my MY2011 S with about 83K miles on it. The coolant pipe that let go was at the front of the engine though. On the plus side this made the diagnosis quite easy. I looked under the hood, noticed a rubber coolant hose that looked a bit strange and when I pulled it slightly, it was obvious that the aluminum pipe the hose was connected to was no longer seated in the engine. I could actually see directly into the hole where the pipe was meant to go.

With a bit of research it appears that Porsche in all their wisdom used adhesive to hole the pipe in (this was fixed in 2012). After a while the adhesive goes bad. This is a know problem on other Porsche cars and some take preventive measures by putting a lock bolt in to prevent the pipe from breaking free. Here are the details:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html

My car is sitting at the dealer and I'm prepared for the worst.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:54 AM
AllroadRSC5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adhesive failure on coolant fitting

Adhesive failure on coolant fitting
2011 CTT with 105k, let go this Thanksgiving morning. Front of motor coolant pipe fitting. It was 14F this morning, didn’t survive warm up.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:27 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The front leak is not that bad to fix. You'll need a new thermostat housing. Might as well replace the thermostat, water pump, and serpentine belt while you are at it. $1k to $1.5K at the dealer. Had my done while my thermostat was going out.

There are lower cost options many threads on this already.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I'd suggest you start reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...pipe-glue.html - it's a sticky on exactly this issue.. and it was made a sticky because it happens often enough to warrant sticking it where people can easily find it.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipe issue 958.1