transfer case - what actually fails?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 03:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by jd-gt-350
so to summarize.....
Motorcraft EST-M2C118-A.... 1-4oz. Bottle.
Remainding fill with Porsche transfer case fluid( any one have that part #???), or an approved Amsoil #????
Plugs torq. @ 15 lbs.
I will drive to heat fluids up befor draining.
My parts Manager @ Ford calls it whale sperm!!!!! It smells..
Did you have symptoms? And if so - I will be quite interested in hearing your results. There is a DIY in the Cayenne DIY subforum that should have the Porsche PN in it.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:43 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Porsche part 000-043-305-63 which I get on Ebay from Reeves Auto something or other.

Friction modifier works wonders for the clutches. Does nothing for the chain slop.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:44 PM
jd-gt-350
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one use Fuchs transfer case fluid sold by Pelican parts? Price is sure nice and they advise it is oem quality.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:44 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jd-gt-350
Any one use Fuchs transfer case fluid sold by Pelican parts? Price is sure nice and they advise it is oem quality.
Yes - it works fine.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I just got a 2015 CS, CPO. What should I be looking for, or feeling for? As far as I can tell, everything feels fine. The dealer said it’s on its original TC.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 PM
edde
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
I just got a 2015 CS, CPO. What should I be looking for, or feeling for? As far as I can tell, everything feels fine. The dealer said it’s on its original TC.
How many miles?

When it goes wrong you'll know. The worst bad clutches create a thump thump thump that you can feel. I liken it to accelerating over a series of small speed bumps. You might think there was something on the road but there's not. Also, a crunching feel when making tight turns at crawling speeds kinda common to limited slip differentials that are binding up.

Enjoy it and cross your fingers!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:31 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by edde
How many miles?

When it goes wrong you'll know. The worst bad clutches create a thump thump thump that you can feel. I liken it to accelerating over a series of small speed bumps. You might think there was something on the road but there's not. Also, a crunching feel when making tight turns at crawling speeds kinda common to limited slip differentials that are binding up.

Enjoy it and cross your fingers!
43k miles. Definitely none of that going on. I did a few, tight, u turns while test driving as well as slowly going through all gears.

At at this point, being under CPO, should I start up the TC fluid changes? Or should I leave it alone during CPO period? Don’t want to void the warranty, but also want to avoid a TC failure.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:10 AM
deilenberger
Banned

The only way they'd know you changed the oil is if you cracked the case cover putting the plugs back in. Don't do that. And there is nothing in the CPO warranty that prohibits changing any fluids in the vehicle. If you want to be super safe - order the Porsche fluid. Keep the receipt in case for some bizarre reason they ever ask.

Change the oil. Mine is still hanging in there (on a 2011 CTT - lots more power going through it) at 92,000 miles.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 120 Posts

fixed mine for $25 on the wife's 2014 with 35k miles. it started not too bad but after a couple of weeks it was bumping and bucking pretty bad.
since just about every tc is prone to fail, and mine was just out of warranty i figured i had nothing to lose. before i went to more drastic measures, i figured i'd try the simplest thing.
went to advanced auto parts. bought a quart of valvoline fully synthetic transfer case fluid and a 4 oz tube of lube-guard limited slip friction modifier.
drained the old fluid out of the tc, poured the lube-guard into the new tc fluid quart bottle, shook it a little bit, and put the new fluid into the tc until it started to come out of the fill hole and put the fill plug back in (careful not to over torque).
it has been about a month and the car runs absolutely like new. has not jerked, bucked, clunked or anything of the sort since i did the fluid change.
i plan on changing it again and from now on at every second oil change.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Revised Transfer Case Date?

Does anyone know the date when Porsche started installing the revised TC on new cars? E.g. all Cayennes with manufacturing dates after ___________ have the revised TC?

Long thread! Read it for 30 mins and gave up looking.

Cheers,
L76
Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 AM
TXCOMT
Instructor

"At at this point, being under CPO, should I start up the TC fluid changes? Or should I leave it alone during CPO period? Don’t want to void the warranty, but also want to avoid a TC failure."

Do what I did...insist your dealership change it! I did after we bought the wife's CPO '14 S (last of the N/A V8s) and they did...of course, I had to escalate the issue to the company's service director! I also had them match the tires (the two on the rear didn't match the Porsche-approved fronts) along with several other items. It was almost as if the techs were half asleep during the CPO cert process...oh, well, all good now.

TXCOMT
Old 04-11-2019, 12:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by L76
Does anyone know the date when Porsche started installing the revised TC on new cars? E.g. all Cayennes with manufacturing dates after ___________ have the revised TC?

Long thread! Read it for 30 mins and gave up looking.

Cheers,
L76
Nope. No idea when the vent kit went into new production - but it was toward the end of Cayenne series-II production. I have no idea what series-III uses. And AFAIK - no one has been able to document any internal changes to the transfer cases. While service advisers like to tell you something's new and improved - that goes under the list of "Funny things service advisers tell people.." since they're clueless if anything changed. It appears the part number hasn't changed - which would indicate a revised design.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by TXCOMT
"At at this point, being under CPO, should I start up the TC fluid changes? Or should I leave it alone during CPO period? Don’t want to void the warranty, but also want to avoid a TC failure."

Do what I did...insist your dealership change it! I did after we bought the wife's CPO '14 S (last of the N/A V8s) and they did...of course, I had to escalate the issue to the company's service director! I also had them match the tires (the two on the rear didn't match the Porsche-approved fronts) along with several other items. It was almost as if the techs were half asleep during the CPO cert process...oh, well, all good now.

TXCOMT
Hmm...Don’t think they’ll like that request without any symptoms?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:30 AM
edde
Instructor

If I'm reading correctly haven't folks with the "fixed" cases experienced failures too now? Vent line, collar, blah blah. I certainly am not sure we're seeing this as a verified solution. It's a limited slip device that ain't slipping. Use a friction modifier if you have troubles. If I were under some warranty then dealing with the dealer would be a thing but otherwise it's a huge pita.
The following users liked this post:
Delphis Richard (06-18-2020)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:42 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Hmm...Don’t think they’ll like that request without any symptoms?
Wrong...at least at my dealership! I had no symptoms at all, just told them what I learned from this site...oh, and threatened to give 'em a bad survey score if things weren't handled to my satisfaction.

TXCOMT

Quick Reply: transfer case - what actually fails?