Sponsored By:

Porsche Cayenne Headlight theft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudar
That's been so for many years. In Russia if you have Cayenne and dont want your lights stolen, you have to buy a anti-theft kit
for starters, I just dropped my comp on my insurance to a $100 deductible.
(cost of the drop from $500 to $100? an additional $38 a year). I do not plan on getting my headlights stolen but this gave me a bit more peace of mind for a low cost.

pretty sure there is only OEM parts for these headlights but I made sure I have true OEM coverage in general. I had to switch insurance carriers and as part of the process, was surprised to learn many carriers "say" they offer it but when you go and really read their policies that is not really true. You might have to pay the additional cost of the OEM or it is only good for the past two model years or some strange line item.

I am curious what anti-theft measures anyone has taken? That said, placing an extra screw "might" cause more damage in possible failed theft attempt. It has its drawbacks.

The following users liked this post:
DANACO (05-19-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 06:19 PM
JohnWick
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys, sorry to bring this old thread back but I am having concerns about my headlights too. I have already secured them against theft but I want to add some tamper switch that will trigger the alarm when somebody try to take them off. Do you know where I can see the wiring diagram to achieve this or any advise on what wires to use ?
Old 04-27-2023, 08:32 PM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Doing the screw mod is definitely going to result in more damage, but that also means the thieves taking more time. Maybe if they burn too much time, they've eventually get caught. What we need is a small clear vinyl label that says "these headlights are no longer removable". Or find a way to use a steel cable so when they try to jerk them out at the end they don't actually come out and instead damage the headlight - be even better if it activated a shotgun shell blast out the hole - I'd rather have them be damaged and useless than for them to get away with something they could sell since insurance is buying new ones anyway.
I like the shotgun idea!! that would certainly give them pause having a hole blown through you for being a worthless scum bag
bowtie (04-28-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 09:41 PM
GTCharlie
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

This would’ve never happened to me had I not seen this thread, but now it’s inevitable. So I decided to find a simple fix. I zip tied the mechanism so I can’t turn unless it’s removed from the inside.

Robocop305 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 11:10 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 745 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by GTCharlie
This would’ve never happened to me had I not seen this thread, but now it’s inevitable. So I decided to find a simple fix. I zip tied the mechanism so I can’t turn unless it’s removed from the inside.
Hmmm...

I think I'd rather have insurance cover the replacement of two headlamps (getting fresh headlamps in the process, which would take 30 minutes) versus scheduling time with Barry, my body guy, dropping the car off for four days, getting a rental, and ending up with resprayed hood and fenders. Either way the deductible will be the same.

Take the darn headlights, if you must...just don't screw up the body work!

And careful parking will help...park in a well lighted, highly trafficked area, facing out (I think).
Old 04-28-2023, 11:46 AM
JohnWick
AutoX

That's exactly the reason I want to add some custom sensor to trigger the alram when some scumbags try to take my headlights so they won't brake anything trying. Any advise on adding this kind of sensor is welcome
Old 04-29-2023, 12:00 AM
bowtie
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Many dash cams have a perimeter alarm feature that would do that ..
lml999 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:56 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 745 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
Many dash cams have a perimeter alarm feature that would do that ..
If I were a thief and a disembodied voice stated loudly "step away from the car" I think I'd shart myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by lml999:
Al Faromeo (05-02-2023), GTCharlie (04-29-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 07:58 AM
JohnWick
AutoX

Originally Posted by lml999
If I were a thief and a disembodied voice stated loudly "step away from the car" I think I'd shart myself.
This sounds like a nice idea but still I am thinking of adding some shock sensor. It's a bit annoying the lack of information about how to do this (DIY) for Prosche, there was so much info for my previous cars (BMW, AUDI, VW). I may end up adding additional alarm with shock sensor or trunk/bonnet sensor wired to the headlights.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Headlight theft?