Sponsored By:

Test drove 2012 Cayenne S - NOT IMPRESSED... help change my mind

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
He hides in the 928 Forum with some of the rest of us.

Alex, the air suspension likely makes a big difference to the handling as well. Not sure if all of the Ss have it, some, or none, but the GTSs do. I think you may just be limiting your search to a model of Cayenne that isn't suited to exactly what you're looking for it to be.
Thanks, I know Air Suspension makes a big difference in ride comfort, but need to see how it may handle. It may also help with weight transfer if I could bring the car lower.

I need to do longer test drives, this was at a VW dealer who was trying to trade in our 2016 Tiguan for a 2012 Cayenne S with 40K miles. Will go to Porsche dealer and drive a cpl of different ones to get the right perspective.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Another question (will be accused again of trolling), but I also noticed a lack of storage on the center console, the cubby is quite shallow and there's no room to put your phone or keys. Any solutions for that?

On a positive note, I LOVED the seats, LOVED the overall size, not too big, not too small. I actually like the slew of buttons, touch screen is not meant for cars IMO, the steering was best SUV steering wheel I've used, the engine noise was awesome at full throttle, and brakes were immense.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
I say try a few other Cayennes to make sure it wasn't just something with this one. I had been really into the GTS but I drove several and wasn't that impressed - either too harsh, or too bouncy, or too loud - but I kept coming back to the great looks and awesome sound. I gave it one more shot with a 14 GTS that my local dealer took in on trade and it was a totally different experience - smooth, quiet, fast, comfortable - everything I had heard about the Cayenne but the first time I saw it for myself. Bought it on the spot and haven't regretted it yet.

You never know what kind of life a car has led, so if you still think the Cayenne might work for you, go drive a few more. There are plenty out there, and while the RX might be 500 lbs lighter, it will bore you to tears every time you drive it.
Thanks, interesting, what do you mean about the other GTS, same car and engine but just didn't feel right? Interesting. I am 100% passing on this car I tested anyway, will test a cpl of other ones including GTS. Agreed on the RX, it's a great senior or soccer mom SUV, not for me. Actually Macan is a perfect SUV for me, only if it had a bit more room in the trunk!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:21 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My C.S has PTV / PDCC / Air suspension however i have driven Cayennes without those features and they still handle extremely well. I may say, it rides better on standard suspension on some occasions. If it feels heavy- keep pushing - you will be shocked how far you can push the limit on these SUV's.
Maybe the vehicle you drove had bad tires ? Bad power steering ? Or maybe worn out suspension components ? When i was younger and immature I drove my Uni housemates parents Cayenne (957), triple digits(nearly triple the speed that long sweeper was rated for) 4 wheel slip angle with 5 people in the car, for a movie set, not an issue. Amazing capabilities. Which is why i purchased the 958, however i drive it rarely (Wifes car). Knowing that if i want to go hooligan w the cayenne, i know the car can do it.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts
Default Public Service Announcement

To add someone to your "ignore" list - simply click on their name. A new screen opens. Look for:

It's probably my bruised ego causing me to do this..
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't like the experience but like the idea of it? Try a different example. Still didn't like it? The Cayenne may not for you - and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm certainly not upset if someone dislikes a car I own or even enjoy. Admittedly, I'm probably the poster-child of a "Cayenne Fanboy" since I personally see it about as close to perfection as one can get for a "One for all purposes" vehicle. They can be very comfortable and tame when you want, or be a very engaging and enjoyable experience when you start laying into it. They're certainly built to last, have practicality in spades and are moderately capable should you enjoy going places the pavement won't take you. Ultimately, that's my opinion on it, you may view it differently. I look at it as a tool to do everything I would want a vehicle to do, and this one does all of these in a balance that my tastes find better than anything else. A Macan will be sportier. An Audi will be more comfortable. A Gelandewagen will be more capable off-road. A Range Rover will look prettier while eternally on a flatbed. It all comes down to what you are looking for from a vehicle.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by projekt-h
Didn't like the experience but like the idea of it? Try a different example. Still didn't like it? The Cayenne may not for you - and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm certainly not upset if someone dislikes a car I own or even enjoy. Admittedly, I'm probably the poster-child of a "Cayenne Fanboy" since I personally see it about as close to perfection as one can get for a "One for all purposes" vehicle. They can be very comfortable and tame when you want, or be a very engaging and enjoyable experience when you start laying into it. They're certainly built to last, have practicality in spades and are moderately capable should you enjoy going places the pavement won't take you. Ultimately, that's my opinion on it, you may view it differently. I look at it as a tool to do everything I would want a vehicle to do, and this one does all of these in a balance that my tastes find better than anything else. A Macan will be sportier. An Audi will be more comfortable. A Gelandewagen will be more capable off-road. A Range Rover will look prettier while eternally on a flatbed. It all comes down to what you are looking for from a vehicle.
Thanks, again, I may have had a different expectations or had an off car. I absolutely don't have an issue with ANY Cayenne owner, and I still think it's the best mid-size sporty SUV, while it may not be the best one for me... but maybe a GTS or different setup would drive different.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:04 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting thread...I purchased my 2012 TT about 6 month with 23k miles. It has all the cool stuff you want (PASM, PDCC, etc.)....I traded my 2011 750 hp CTS V coupe for the Porsche..
First time I pushed the TT into a series of corners...couldn't believe it. Flat, nimble, and predictable at all times...Seemed to handle better than the caddy's magnetic ride...couldn't believe it!!!
I was riding on the Pirelli Pzero's at the time, and those tires are absolutely fantastic with this car when pushed...
Yeah, find a TT with all the stuff you would want, drive it, and I'm sure you'll have a different opinion....Luxury all the way...which the 911 doesn't provide...and it does all the things you want it to.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nstar8
Interesting thread...I purchased my 2012 TT about 6 month with 23k miles. It has all the cool stuff you want (PASM, PDCC, etc.)....I traded my 2011 750 hp CTS V coupe for the Porsche..
First time I pushed the TT into a series of corners...couldn't believe it. Flat, nimble, and predictable at all times...Seemed to handle better than the caddy's magnetic ride...couldn't believe it!!!
I was riding on the Pirelli Pzero's at the time, and those tires are absolutely fantastic with this car when pushed...
Yeah, find a TT with all the stuff you would want, drive it, and I'm sure you'll have a different opinion....Luxury all the way...which the 911 doesn't provide...and it does all the things you want it to.
I forgot to check what tires it had, maybe that was the shortcoming. Will be testing more examples for better assessment.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BallJack
How about trying another example (another car of the same model). Maybe something is not right with the car you tested. It's not like you are test driving a brand new car.

I had a similar experience test driving a BMW328i vs 335i (both used cars) and I came out feeling disappointed with the 335i at first - which in specs should beat the 328i. But after trying another 335i from another seller, that first impression was gone. I came out of that thinking that there was something not exactly right with the first 335i that I test drove.
probably the case. I’m skipping this one and will look into others and drive a few more to see if my impressions change.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:49 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks, again, I may have had a different expectations or had an off car. I absolutely don't have an issue with ANY Cayenne owner, and I still think it's the best mid-size sporty SUV, while it may not be the best one for me... but maybe a GTS or different setup would drive different.
True, it could have been a wonky example. That, or if you're in the mindset of a Macan, the Cayenne very well could feel like a pig.

I typed all that before I took the Macan S service loaner that was waiting in my driveway when I got home for a spin. I've got to say, I'm tickled by it. Much more agile and sporty - at least more so than my 2011 Cayenne S that has none of the suspension goodies. PDK farts are pretty amusing at full throttle. This one has more nifty tech toys (active cruise control, lane keep assist... thing nearly drives itself, but when it drives so nice, why would you want it to?)

Overall, I think I'd still prefer the Cayenne. More space, comfort, off-road capability, and I kinda like that it feels like you're driving a precision vault down the road.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:02 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

True, it could have been a wonky example. That, or if you're in the mindset of a Macan, the Cayenne very well could feel like a pig.

I typed all that before I took the Macan S service loaner that was waiting in my driveway when I got home for a spin. I've got to say, I'm tickled by it. Much more agile and sporty - at least more so than my 2011 Cayenne S that has none of the suspension goodies. PDK farts are pretty amusing at full throttle. This one has more nifty tech toys (active cruise control, lane keep assist... thing nearly drives itself, but when it drives so nice, why would you want it to?)

Overall, I think I'd still prefer the Cayenne. More space, comfort, off-road capability, and I kinda like that it feels like you're driving a precision vault down the road.
Exactly, I LOVED how Macan felt, nimble, fast, and light on its feet. I expected Cayenne to be similar just larger, but it simply drives different. Unfortunately they've compromised Macan space by its rear liftgate design, so its just too small. If the rear was bit more flat it could have worked for us.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I did fail to mention that with all the suspension options on mine...the Cayenne does not feel like a pig...actually felt lighter than my V...Again, I can't stress how well those upgrades change the feel of the vehicle from a heavy "pig" to a very light and nimble feeling vehicle.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

I typed all that before I took the Macan S service loaner that was waiting in my driveway when I got home for a spin. I've got to say, I'm tickled by it. Much more agile and sporty - at least more so than my 2011 Cayenne S that has none of the suspension goodies.
I agree, the Macan was definitely a more lively ride, but the markedly smaller interior spaces made the Cayenne a better choice for me. And by the time I optioned-up an S model I was within $1200 of the GTS; thus I ordered that.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

I even enjoyed the Macan base model 4 cylinder I've had as a loaner - very nice car, drives great, but the size is a deal killer for me. The Cayenne is close to perfect for a DD for me.

My post earlier about trying several is because there are so many variables/options/conditions that one won't represent all. My GTS doesn't have PDCC or PTV or any other fancy suspension bits (except air suspension) and it still drives fantastic for what I need.

The base, S, and diesel weren't on my list because I really like the look of the GTS and TT. My boss has a newer base V6 and loves it. To each his own, but I bet you'll have a different opinion after test driving a better candidate.

Quick Reply: Test drove 2012 Cayenne S - NOT IMPRESSED... help change my mind