Sponsored By:

Knockoff Center Caps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knockoff Center Caps?

Hey guys, not sure if it's "Taboo" or not, but I was considering buying a set of knockoff center caps for my '12 Cayenne base. I've got the stock wheels and the center caps are the ones with the Porsche logo with the black outline only. I wanted to see how the wheel would look with the painted logo center caps and thought this would be a good way to inexpensively decide. (If they look good, then wait till the knockoffs start to fade and buy some true painted OEMs through Suncoast or somewhere, or if I don't like the look then I could easily return to the base outline OEMs.

My question was if any of you have any experience with the knockoffs, and will they give me a legitimate idea of how the wheel would look with OEMs? Or am I just wasting my time?

Here's the (assumed) knockoffs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-OE...S/162730485828
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had silver sport design 21's that I got powder coated gloss black and got a gloss black painted logo center cap set of a eBay a year ago. They fit just like they were OEM and have lasted well so far as they are my summer wheels. I highly recommend color caps!
Old 11-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Parrot356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the gloss black version for the winter wheels on my wife's 2013 GTS. They fit well and look decent. They are knockoffs for sure, but unless you are up close and looking it is not noticeable.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I've used all kinds of knockoffs from eBay (and there used to be an Amazon seller too, but they're gone) - silver with colored crest, chrome with metallic black and silver crest, chrome with colored crest, and silver with monochrome painted crest - all fit and looked fine.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM
garymyman
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they look good, then wait till the knockoffs start to fade and buy some true painted OEMs through Suncoast or somewhere
My ebay'd knockoffs have faded after two years. But at $12/set, if I buy fakes every two years it would take 28 years before eclipsing the price for real ones.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garymyman
My ebay'd knockoffs have faded after two years. But at $12/set, if I buy fakes every two years it would take 28 years before eclipsing the price for real ones.
My knockoffs arrived today and I have to say I'm quite satisfied for $12.

The quality of the plastic holding tabs on the back of the caps are slightly different (and thicker) than the ones on the black crested OEM ones, but definitely fit snug. Further the painted crest on the knockoffs are actually better textured than the black OEM ones, especially in the gold sections of the crest. (??? - The black only ones are barely textured at all, just inset.) One other interesting point was that on the back of the knockoffs, every single code and part number matched the ones on the OEM. Is that common with Chinese knockoffs, (Is it even legal?) or is there an outside chance that these may have actually been OEM caps?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you think the caps look great when they arrive, wait until you remove the protective plastic over the crest section that you can't even see. I ran a set on my car for a year and didn't even realize they had protective plastic on them until I was taking pictures to resell them - peeled it off and the new owner had like-new looking crests, which means the $12,versions might last for 4 years - 2 with the plastic on and 2 more with it removed LOL
Old 12-08-2017, 08:39 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
... 2 with the plastic on and 2 more with it removed LOL
Ha! I've had that happen to me, more than once. Just recently discovered the kitchen range vent hood removable metal filter panels don't have a painted edge... it was protective plastic. Nice shiny stainless under there... this after 3 years in the house.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:05 AM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you do, just make sure the bottom of the crests are pointed to your valve stems...heaven help the enthusiast owner who doesn't do that and convert to clear lenses!

Sorry, couldn't resist!
TXCOMT
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Both my winter (19") and summer (21") sets have the OEM caps with the colored crests (silver and gloss black), but if I needed to purchase a set or two, I'd sure consider the aftermarket 'replica' options. The price for the OEM sets are borderline insane, considering what they are. So it's good to hear the feedback on the aftermarket sets from places like eBay.

And yes, the crests on all of my center caps are properly oriented toward the valve stems, so as not to upset the Porsche faithful!
Old 10-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Having trouble finding these. Anyone got a link handy? Preferably matte black, no logo, black logo, matte silver logo, or the full color one.

the oem ones are captive products and the $60 each is a bit excessive, even for Porsche…?
Old 10-16-2022, 06:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Having trouble finding these. Anyone got a link handy? Preferably matte black, no logo, black logo, matte silver logo, or the full color one.

the oem ones are captive products and the $60 each is a bit excessive, even for Porsche…?
I buy mine from Ed Shephard on Facebook Marketplace for about $25 / set. Just bought another set from him last week ..this makes 2 or 3 sets now.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCOMT
Whatever you do, just make sure the bottom of the crests are pointed to your valve stems...

TXCOMT
Couldn't get my wheels and tires to balance until I did this. Thanks god for the true Porsche enthusiasts!
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (10-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Knockoff Center Caps?