Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958 Cayenne: Transfer Case Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021 | 01:39 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
I don't seem to be able to find a part number for the Ravenol TC fluid used in the Cayenne Diesel. Can anyone confirm whether there is anything different for the diesels?
It's 75w-90 gear oil. You can use something like Motul Gear 300 P/N 105777 if you want to be fancy..
The following users liked this post:
LittleBitBent (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021 | 02:47 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
It's 75w-90 gear oil. You can use something like Motul Gear 300 P/N 105777 if you want to be fancy..
Thanks Rich. Just to confirm - is the Ravenol TF-0870 the same thing? When I search for TF-0870 on the Ravenol.de website, it comes up with Ravenol DTF1
Old 07-26-2021 | 02:25 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

i changed the transfer case fluid this weekend - the transfer case was replaced in january 2020 - should fluid be this dirty in just 8000 miles? - can't see bottom of pan and it's about an inch deep

Old 03-21-2022 | 10:45 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kvec
I've changed the TC oil several times in my 2011 CTT. The TC in mine is about 4 years and 50K miles young. I've changed the oil at 10K, 20K and ~3K increments.

I'd bet big money that the amber fluid that drained out of your TC was brand new. The oil gets dirty pretty quick. Would make a ton of sense for the dealer to replace the TC oil as a part of the pre-sale CPO process.
Curious to know if you reset your values every time you changed the oil.
Old 03-22-2022 | 02:05 PM
brandlj
Intermediate

I just had my tranfer case replaced again. This time at 111,000 miles. 2014 Cayenne S. This was performed by my Dealer under warranty. I was told by the Tech that Porsche will be changing their maintenance schedules. Transfer Case fluid will be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles per Porsche.
911guyinaz (10-27-2022)
Old 09-08-2022 | 06:39 PM
TyreReviews
Instructor

I did this job over the weekend, thank you for the guide. As others have pointed out, it's one of the easiest jobs you can do to your 958.

I used the permatex thread lock as suggested above (
Amazon Amazon
) and didn't even bother risking torquing. I reused the existing nuts, gave them a light clean and used the markers on them to make sure I got them back to the right spot.

It didn't feel tight at all but I've been checking it all week and no signs of leaking.

My existing oil didn't come out too dark, my car is 85000 miles so I guess it's been done before. It might feed a few percent smoother but it's not a drastic change to the driving experience.

riteoff (09-11-2022)
Old 10-20-2022 | 01:45 PM
englishbull911
Track Day

Originally Posted by CS958
Very helpful thread. Just wanted to add a couple of things I did to help the next fellow (or gal):
2012 Cayenne S (Gas), 33,000 miles. (2011 Prod Date). Steel Springs on 21". Mostly stop and go driving. 1st TC fluid change. Did not feel any snaps, lurching, slipping, etc. Just preventative maintenance.

Followed the awesome guide up top. Used the 3" Allen Wrench method (size 8) deilenberger method.

Notes:

1. Took a regular jack and raised it on all 4 corners 1st to get it a bit higher. Lowering the jack slowly so it sat about an inch higher, if that makes sense. Basically went around the car, raised and then lowered slowly so it sat higher.
2. When draining, I noticed if I jacked up the Front Right wheel a few more inches, more fluid will drain out after it initially stopped
3. Fluid was very dark, but not as black as some I've seen on YouTube. No burnt smell.
4. The draining part took the longest. Drip drip drip. Went on for a bit.
5. Before refill, I leveled her again, no jack under the car.
6. Refilling was easy, but like draining, drip drip drip. Waited for a while before the overflow would stop.
7. Bought brand new plugs, did take a pic of the plug positions prior to removal.
8. Fearing the cracking of the case, understanding that these plugs are really under no pressure, over tightening was not going to happen. So took my #8 3" Allen wrench and tightened it to just a little less than where they were seated before, just to be 100% safe. The plugs are new, the sealant is fresh (new plugs come with sealant on threads already) and from what I can feel when tightening, I'm confident it is not going to work itself loose from vibration.

Took a drive and so far, no leaks.
Originally Posted by kvec
I've changed the TC oil several times in my 2011 CTT. The TC in mine is about 4 years and 50K miles young. I've changed the oil at 10K, 20K and ~3K increments.

I'd bet big money that the amber fluid that drained out of your TC was brand new. The oil gets dirty pretty quick. Would make a ton of sense for the dealer to replace the TC oil as a part of the pre-sale CPO process.
kvec
I also have a 2011 CTT
which Ravenol TC oil did you use?

Old 10-24-2022 | 07:43 PM
kvec
Instructor

Originally Posted by englishbull911
kvec
I also have a 2011 CTT
which Ravenol TC oil did you use?
Ravenol DTF-1
Old 10-27-2022 | 02:13 PM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by brandlj
I just had my tranfer case replaced again. This time at 111,000 miles. 2014 Cayenne S. This was performed by my Dealer under warranty. I was told by the Tech that Porsche will be changing their maintenance schedules. Transfer Case fluid will be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles per Porsche.
From never to every 2 years ..............WTF..........
The following 2 users liked this post by 911guyinaz:
figure1a (08-29-2023), flylow (05-28-2023)
Old 11-30-2022 | 01:18 AM
trip_hoppa
5th Gear

Originally Posted by chandanYOGI
I hve a cayenne S diesel .i am confused between Revnol tf-0870 dtf-1 & the other vsg 75 w-90 they have on offer. it seems You cant go worng with DTF-1.. is it true.?In india i guess not many have done DIY on their expensive Babies. so i am basically on inchartered Local waters .
Hi @chandanYOGI I also have a Cayenne S Diesel and am also having difficulty determining which transfer case (and diff) oils to use.
What did you end up using and how did it turn out?
Old 11-30-2022 | 04:11 AM
englishbull911
Track Day

from what I understand you have to just check to see if you have a TC with an electric plug coming out of it.
most likely yours don’t

Go to Blauparts website it explains in detail which oil you will need. But unfortunately you will still need to crawl under your car to visually check for the plug and verify 100%
Old 11-30-2022 | 10:12 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

Default Hii

Originally Posted by trip_hoppa
Hi @chandanYOGI I also have a Cayenne S Diesel and am also having difficulty determining which transfer case (and diff) oils to use.
What did you end up using and how did it turn out?
so I did end up using both fluids at different times. Apparently the fault was not in TC but the tires. The tire replacement for front n rear were done at different time that led to the misbehaving TC . Now I am worried that I might hv toasted it . But the jerks are very slight and infrequent now after replacing all 4 tires
Old 11-30-2022 | 10:21 AM
englishbull911
Track Day

so I did end up using both fluids at different times. Apparently the fault was not in TC but the tires. The tire replacement for front n rear were done at different time that led to the misbehaving TC . Now I am worried that I might hv toasted it . But the jerks are very slight and infrequent now after replacing all 4 tires
can you elaborate?
are you saying that all four tires have to be replaced at the same time, every time?

because I too have newer tires on the front over the rears and have those slight jerks as well.

I feel it more when making extreme slow turns like k turns or very sharp parking type turns.

Old 11-30-2022 | 11:31 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

Default TC BLUES

Originally Posted by englishbull911
can you elaborate?
are you saying that all four tires have to be replaced at the same time, every time?

because I too have newer tires on the front over the rears and have those slight jerks as well.

I feel it more when making extreme slow turns like k turns or very sharp parking type turns.

Oh dear. you have made the exact same mistake as mine. most member in this forum will shudder at our decision to change just two tires. i took a calculated risk at that time as i thought the difference in diameter wasn't much and all 4 tyre looked almost new after the change. but the electronics ? mechanicals of the TC just start acting weird due to that. since the car was new to me at that time i assumed it was due to TC. must hv driven around 10k Km like that with one oill change.
However my stupidity didnt end there. there was one more tyre damage just before i was planning a long trip and i decided to change just one tyre for the trip with a slightly worn tyre i had taken out earlier . i was planning to change all 4 after the trip. BIG mistake. the whole AWD system let me know that its hating me . 5-6 errors came right in after 200 km or so.
the thing is after i change all 4 tyre the car just went magically smooth for some time. now i can hear very very faint screching sound occasionally during turns. guess the differential is dying . but still way better than before.

LOng story short. never ever do partial replacement of the cayenne tyres.
Old 11-30-2022 | 12:20 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Oh dear. you have made the exact same mistake as mine. most member in this forum will shudder at our decision to change just two tires. i took a calculated risk at that time as i thought the difference in diameter wasn't much and all 4 tyre looked almost new after the change. but the electronics ? mechanicals of the TC just start acting weird due to that. since the car was new to me at that time i assumed it was due to TC. must hv driven around 10k Km like that with one oill change.
However my stupidity didnt end there. there was one more tyre damage just before i was planning a long trip and i decided to change just one tyre for the trip with a slightly worn tyre i had taken out earlier . i was planning to change all 4 after the trip. BIG mistake. the whole AWD system let me know that its hating me . 5-6 errors came right in after 200 km or so.
the thing is after i change all 4 tyre the car just went magically smooth for some time. now i can hear very very faint screching sound occasionally during turns. guess the differential is dying . but still way better than before.

LOng story short. never ever do partial replacement of the cayenne tyres.

To add to this. Make sure you also rotate tires at some regular frequency - 10k miles or less.

Quick Reply: 958 Cayenne: Transfer Case Fluid Change