Sponsored By:

2011 CTT - Duplicate Key Oddness

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts
Default 2011 CTT - Duplicate Key Oddness

Traveling at the moment with SWMBO. I asked her to bring her key for the P!G along just in case there were any problems with mine, or I lost it or something.

I asked her to wrap it in aluminum foil since when both keys are in the car you will get a "Duplicate Key in Vehicle" message.

So it's in her purse, wrapped in foil.

Tonight she put the purse in the rear luggage section, and the message reappeared - I thought it must be closer to the interior antennas there. Didn't think much of it - the P!G started fine.

After about the 3rd start with the message appearing - I went to back out and found I couldn't see anything from any of the rearview mirrors. Then I looked at them in some light - they were totally black. I've never seen them this dark before - and all three were that way. They would clear up if I turned auto-dim off with the button on the center mirror, but turn back dark if I switched it back on. So I restarted the car - and they started behaving normally.

I shut down the car, and locked it using the button on my key (her key was still in the luggage area.) When I came back to the car - the seat was all the way back, with the backrest folded as far forward as it would go. I got it right using the door memory button and it worked fine, without darkened mirrors.

Anyway - I'm guessing having two keys being recognized goes past what the system programmers anticipated ever happening. I have to find some more aluminum foil I think..

Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Fobguard works great, even with the key still on the ring, but fully inserted into the fabric pocket.

Amazon Amazon

Which, of course, is listed as 'currently unavailable'. And wouldn't help if you're on the road already.

As for the key dance, I'm surprised it would recognize the 2nd key if it let you lock it (with the 1st) with the 2nd one still insider the vehicle.

No idea why the mirrors went so dark, never really paid much attention to it on mine.

Quick Reply: 2011 CTT - Duplicate Key Oddness