Sponsored By:

PCM nav update available - use home WiFi for it

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:56 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts
Default PCM nav update available - use home WiFi for it

FYI, my '17 PCM alerted me there's a nav update available.

You can cancel this and restart it later. If you accept it'll pull down over 2gb of data and that might overwhelm your cell data plan.

Instead, park the car at home and check if it can connect to your home wifi. Pop out the data SIM card (just push and let it release, you don't have to remove it completely). Then configure the data connection to use your home wifi (or any other wifi to which you have access). Then tap the Nav button, then Opt, scroll down and select Set Nav, scroll down again to select Navigation Database Update. A list of sources should appear. Online update may not be highlighted... yet. It apparently needs a minute or so to establish a connection to check for the update. Once it does that option will become available.

Side note, anyone know how to download the updates separately so they could be loaded from an SD or USB card?

It'll take it a while to do the update. I think around 40 minutes. You'll need to leave the PCM active for this.

There's apparently some options for loading more 'countries', the list of which includes some regional areas around the US. I'm assuming this means more detailed info than just street mapping.

I've not seen anything online that details what's been updated, nor have I had the chance to dig into it to see if anything of significance has changed.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

yeah, I got the alert when I started the car the other day and said ok and did not realize how long it was going to take to complete ... got to my destination and it was only 50% done and I could not wait for it ... so hit cancel and figured I would get back to it later. Well later finally came a day later and when I tried to restart it indicated online but kept telling me that it could not get connected ... must have tried three of four times and never could get it to work. Had to take the car in to dealer for something else and they managed to complete the update for me. Told me that they have seen some problems with trying to reconnect for online update once it was stopped.

Next time I am going to make sure I have plenty of time before I start ...

BTW I like your idea of connecting to the home network ... but since I have unlimited data I am not too worried about doing it from the car....
Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I tried doing the update via WiFi but it was wretchedly slow. Like 23kbps slow. Switching back to 4G internet bumped it up to 300kbps which is still not very speedy. Seems the PCM wifi uplink does only 2.4ghz speeds, and then not very efficiently.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 AM
BallJack
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
FYI, my '17 PCM alerted me there's a nav update available.

You can cancel this and restart it later. If you accept it'll pull down over 2gb of data and that might overwhelm your cell data plan.

Instead, park the car at home and check if it can connect to your home wifi. Pop out the data SIM card (just push and let it release, you don't have to remove it completely). Then configure the data connection to use your home wifi (or any other wifi to which you have access). Then tap the Nav button, then Opt, scroll down and select Set Nav, scroll down again to select Navigation Database Update. A list of sources should appear. Online update may not be highlighted... yet. It apparently needs a minute or so to establish a connection to check for the update. Once it does that option will become available.

Side note, anyone know how to download the updates separately so they could be loaded from an SD or USB card?

It'll take it a while to do the update. I think around 40 minutes. You'll need to leave the PCM active for this.

There's apparently some options for loading more 'countries', the list of which includes some regional areas around the US. I'm assuming this means more detailed info than just street mapping.

I've not seen anything online that details what's been updated, nor have I had the chance to dig into it to see if anything of significance has changed.
Does this apply to all 2017 PCM or only those with Porsche Connect Plus?
Old 10-18-2017, 11:38 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BallJack
Does this apply to all 2017 PCM or only those with Porsche Connect Plus?
Hmm, don't know. I don't know if the nav system will still check, or be allowed to download, if there's not an active account set up for it. Nor, I'd bet, would your local Porsche dealer... or the 800-Porsche folks for that matter.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I guess there's no option like this on the 2011s huh? Probably have to go to the dealer and pay for them to provide the updates is what I'm thinking, is that correct?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
I guess there's no option like this on the 2011s huh? Probably have to go to the dealer and pay for them to provide the updates is what I'm thinking, is that correct?
No idea, but a call to 1-800-Porsche would probably get you the correct answer.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Indeed. Plan on about $600 for an update - way way more than the very best up to date GPS would cost. It's pretty much a total ripoff..
Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Indeed. Plan on about $600 for an update - way way more than the very best up to date GPS would cost. It's pretty much a total ripoff..
Yeah that's what I figured. GPS not needed now that mobile phones have built-in navigation capabilities. It would just be nice to have it updated but not worth the expense to do so.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:07 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Yeah that's what I figured. GPS not needed now that mobile phones have built-in navigation capabilities. It would just be nice to have it updated but not worth the expense to do so.
Yep, definitely worth using your phone for apps like Waze, or Google Maps (especially if you download the maps ahead of time if you're going into poor coverage areas). Had mine not come with the ability to update over-the-air I'd probably not be in any hurry to pay for an upgrade just for mapping data.

But I'd probably try and schmooze the dealer to get it done for free if there were other things that might involve computer updates. Never hurts to ask...

Quick Reply: PCM nav update available - use home WiFi for it