Sponsored by:

Found an abandoned Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Jared Stoker
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found an abandoned Cayenne S

Hi all, new to the forum. I've been an Audi guy for the past 10+ years and I have a chance to pick up a Cayenne S for dirt cheap. Working through the title issues before I put money down on it. A couple questions for the experts here as the engine has the common scoring issues and the block is shot.

1. Most viable option - Part out. Is there a good market if I were to part it out?
2. Replace engine? This would be a DIY job as I do all my own work.
3. Swap for an LS motor? I have seen one or two posts on this, but no real details.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

There's a reason it's been abandoned.

Unless "dirt cheap" is "free", you're probably best off leaving it where it is.

Parts: Yes, there's a bit of a market for them, but it's pretty small. Unless you already have a shop that does a lot of these lined up to buy stuff, it's going to take a while.

Replacement engine: Likely will cost as much as the car is worth. And that's with zero labor cost figured in.

LS Swap: I don't know if this is practical (anything is possible). The car is way too integrated for it to work without a lot of control module programming skills. Not just the Engine control stuff. The whole car talks to itself. Take away the engine communication and the rest of it is going to be really confused.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:15 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

^^^Agree^^^

What year?

If you already own a CS that needs parts, go for it. Otherwise its not worth the time and space, even if it is free.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:21 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^Agreed. If this is your first foray into Porsche ownership, you are probably not going to like it.

On the other hand, I do really want to see someone stuff an LS1 into one of these things very badly. If you have the large amount of resources and experience to pull this off well (ie. most systems work, original dash cluster, no SES, and emissions compliant), then there will be a long line of people with scored cylinders or people who just want a 1000hp cayenne who will literally throw money at you to do theirs next, haha.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Here is your engine
Old 06-03-2017, 08:16 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

stoker?

Quick Reply: Found an abandoned Cayenne S