Sponsored by:

HELP!! my floorboards are flooded

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:18 AM
67bmer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
I'm just dealing with the end of a "water intrusion" problem (at least I hope its the end of it).

I had a big pile of snow on my windshield. The snow clogged the cowl drains, but as it melted it managed to come in to the car through the HVAC.

Passenger side was "sorta wet", but driver side was saturated. I vacuumed up a decent amount of water, then put a small space heater in to dry it out...

Or so I thought. Carpet was fully dry, at least on the top.

A few months later (last week), I began to experience starter problems. Thought it was the battery, but it turned out to be the wiring under the driver side carpet. The foam under the carpet was still saturated. To the point that I could squeeze it and have water flow (more than "drip") out.

My problem: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-no-start.html

What solution turned out to be: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-flashing.html
Oh $&%#!! I got ABS and PSM failure messages a week or two before I noticed that my passenger floorboard was flooded... I assumed it was related to replacing my rotors and brake pads a few months earlier (i.e. bad wheel sensor or something)

I have reached under the drivers side carpet up to my elbow and it feels completely dry everywhere. So how can I diagnose the ABS/PSM failures?

I have been running a de-humidifier in the car for several days, but the foam under the carpet is not drying.

On the passenger side, I undid the seat, rotated it back and made two incisions in the carpet so that I could get it out without disconnecting all the harnesses under the seat. I pulled it up and set a small fan to circulate air. I can NOT remove it because it seems like it is fastened on the hump under the dash or connected to the other side.

The sloshing is gone! I am not sure if I am still getting water in... If I am, I think it is coming from somewhere over the hump and down into the passenger side. That is where the foam is wettest.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by 67bmer
The sloshing is gone! I am not sure if I am still getting water in... If I am, I think it is coming from somewhere over the hump and down into the passenger side. That is where the foam is wettest.
The foam is wettest at the lowest point the water could get to. That isn't an indication of where the leak is coming from. It's simply an indication of where the water ran to. Water will seek the lowest point it can go to. Even in foam.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 AM
HappyCoop
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, my best success at drying the car out has been to:

Pull the carpet back as far as possible (I generally wedge a section of a pool noodle in there to hold it up).

Use a large sponge (like for washing the car), and simply press it into the foam and then squeeze it out into a bucket...works great for the foam against the floorboard. For the foam that is attached to the bottom side of the carpet, I'll put the sponge in a section, then press the carpet down to squeeze the water into the sponge...then empty the sponge into a bucket, move to a new location and repeat. Once I've done that, simply leaving the carpet wedged up with the pool noodle and the windows down (or better yet, both front doors open) while in the garage overnight = nice and dry pepper.

This is my 51st vehicle...and other than an AMG MB that kept melting taillights, this just might be the most frustrating one I've owned. Such a beautiful vehicle, and a joy to drive...but the fact that things like this continue to happen has me looking for the next one.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Oh $&%#!! I got ABS and PSM failure messages a week or two before I noticed that my passenger floorboard was flooded... I assumed it was related to replacing my rotors and brake pads a few months earlier (i.e. bad wheel sensor or something)

I have reached under the drivers side carpet up to my elbow and it feels completely dry everywhere. So how can I diagnose the ABS/PSM failures?

I have been running a de-humidifier in the car for several days, but the foam under the carpet is not drying.

On the passenger side, I undid the seat, rotated it back and made two incisions in the carpet so that I could get it out without disconnecting all the harnesses under the seat. I pulled it up and set a small fan to circulate air. I can NOT remove it because it seems like it is fastened on the hump under the dash or connected to the other side.

First off, my primary symptom was a "no crank." I would turn the key, the dash would light up as usual, but when I turned the key all the way, nothing. The starter would not engage in any way.

It would show "Press Brake", "Brake Proportioning"
It would intermittently show "Ignition Lock Faulty" later in the attempts to start it.
I never saw an "ABS" or "PSM" fault message.

My drying technique was similar to Happy Coop's.

I used a small shop vac instead of a sponge, but that was pretty effective at pulling the worst of the saturation out.

Hooked a bungee cord into the floormat "catches" on the carpet, looped it around the steering column to hold the carpet up. Wedged a plastic food container under the foam to hold it up. Shoved a little fan in under the foam next to the food container. I had a small space heater in there for a bit at the beginning.

And waited for three days.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:37 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi all, my previous car started demonstrated these wet areas to the new owner and I am trying to help him trouble shoot.

He says he is getting passenger side issues on wet floor, window is not working now, and the fog lights have an issue but all checks on electrical show current etc but they do not turn on and fire "Check Fog" signal though all new bulbs and current are moving through it.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:23 PM
HappyCoop
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know cordsig79 mentioned having new bulbs, but for others I thought I'd post my similar experience:

For the fog light issue, it's slightly different than mine but I did have an error that kept showing on my dash to check the side lights (even though they were working correctly). I ended up simply pulling the bulbs and replacing them ($3 and change for a set of two bulbs), and the error message has never returned. Not sure if the fog bulbs are as easy and cost-effective to change out, but that was certainly more simple than chasing down an electrical short (which was what I was about to start doing).
Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Hi all, my previous car started demonstrated these wet areas to the new owner and I am trying to help him trouble shoot.

He says he is getting passenger side issues on wet floor, window is not working now, and the fog lights have an issue but all checks on electrical show current etc but they do not turn on and fire "Check Fog" signal though all new bulbs and current are moving through it.
Not sure on the fog, but the door harness wire goes under the passenger side of the window.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So are you saying you have a wet passenger floor (you are left hand drive right) and the PSM/ABS gave you errors?

The TCM module is under the passenger seat I think, and that is one of the critical systems to the PSM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 PM
67bmer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
So are you saying you have a wet passenger floor (you are left hand drive right) and the PSM/ABS gave you errors?

The TCM module is under the passenger seat I think, and that is one of the critical systems to the PSM.
yes - left hand drive.

I get the ABS error first. I will post a picture. Following the ABS error, I get a PSM error. I suspect the PSM might only occur because there is an ABS error.

I suspect this is not the first time the carpet has been wet! The navigation cd player has rust on it...

The module to the right is the one you are referring to?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: HELP!! my floorboards are flooded