Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with the Schwaben Professional Porsche Scan Tool from ECS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with the Schwaben Professional Porsche Scan Tool from ECS?

Here is the link to it: https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Schwa...nal_Scan_Tool/

Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I notice no mention of Porsche. While some people do get VW tools to work with their Cayenne - it's not always successful, and $200 on a gamble is a bit much unless you also have VW/Audi cars.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM
kino1161
Pro

I sent the wrong link. My apologies. Here is the Porsche link:

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Schwa...Porsche_18656/
Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Looks good. Price beats Durametric. Is there any reason you're not considering: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ble-again.html The ICarScan? That one I can give feedback on. It works.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM
kino1161
Pro

The one you recommended is the one I am looking to purchase. I am just doing a comparison to make sure one isn't drastically better than the other.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:54 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Buy it?

Originally Posted by kino1161
So, did you buy it? I just saw it in the latest eBrake News in the Pelican Parts advert. I currently have the "Service Now" light coming on at start up but I do all my own routine maintenance so "service now" isn't necessary, and the light just bugs me even though it goes off after a few seconds. Seriously looking at the Schwaben vs. Durametric because I wouldn't have to purchase a PC laptop. The Durametric requires you use it with a PC laptop. I'm an Apple user. This one you just plug in. I can do the software upgrades on my friends PC whenever necessary.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Bought one

I bought one. Haven’t used it yet because a mechanic friend of mine keeps borrowing it. He says it’s all I’ll ever need and that it works great. He uses it for problems I hope I never have to take on.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:56 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ottobon100
So, did you buy it? I just saw it in the latest eBrake News in the Pelican Parts advert. I currently have the "Service Now" light coming on at start up but I do all my own routine maintenance so "service now" isn't necessary, and the light just bugs me even though it goes off after a few seconds. Seriously looking at the Schwaben vs. Durametric because I wouldn't have to purchase a PC laptop. The Durametric requires you use it with a PC laptop. I'm an Apple user. This one you just plug in. I can do the software upgrades on my friends PC whenever necessary.
You don't mention the year of your Cayenne. On older models, it's easy to clear service reminders by simply holding down the odometer button while turning on the ignition.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:38 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Originally Posted by 19psi
You don't mention the year of your Cayenne. On older models, it's easy to clear service reminders by simply holding down the odometer button while turning on the ignition.
No Cayenne. Saw the tool listed under the Cayenne section so I posted my query there. '08 Cayman. Anyway your tip didn't work clearing the service reminder on my Cayman. Thanks for your help in trying. I may have to buy one.

Last edited by ottobon100; 03-25-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-27-2018, 01:48 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Default Schwaben by Foxwell Porsche Scanner Review/Comments

The one you recommended is the one I am looking to purchase. I am just doing a comparison to make sure one isn't drastically better than the other.
Purchased the Schwaben by Foxwell Professional Porsche Scan Tool from Pelican Parts (no association other than as a customer). They had a 10% off deal on parts going for PCA members recently so it ran just a little over $200. I saw their discount in an advertisement in the most recent Panorama. The scanner doesn't have all the capabilities of the Durametric but I didn't also have to buy a PC laptop which is required to use the Durametric nor is it limited to three VINs as is the "Enthusiast" version of the Durametric. Also, the Durametric doesn't work with Apple which is what I have. The Foxwell is stand alone when connected to the car but does have to be registered prior to use and any subsequent software upgrades must be done on a PC. I do have a desktop PC for this. At this point I would say don't rush out and buy this. So far it has done nothing more than my cheap $18 scanner does. It won't reset the "service now" light but it doesn't say it will. It won't reset the "oil change" light and does specifically say it will. It says it will read and clear codes. It did read and I had no codes so not sure if it will actually clear codes. It "communicated", read and identified my car and the VIN, read for any codes and that was about it. Three days ago I emailed the company "support" - in China - and asked what is going on and am still waiting for a response. It isn't user friendly to do updates on the computer either. When you register your device and request updates you are sent a "Zip" file. When you open it you get all kinds of warnings telling you NOT TO! That is scary as this is coming from China and I had misgivings about this even though I'm sure not every company in China is trying to install spyware on everyones PC. I did install the file but then did a full antivirus/spyware scan and nothing showed up. If I do get an email response from their customer support I'll post another update. One last thing: This is not returnable to Pelican Parts. They specifically state: "This item is non-returnable except for warranty replacement." ECS Tuning (no association other than as a past customer) sells this also but does not state that. So maybe I just wasted $203.00. One last item that bugged me. I posted an honest review of my experience which has not been great with the product on Pelican Parts and 10 minutes later it wasn't there. So customer reviews on their site seem to only include positive reviews. Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
buckeye96 (11-25-2020)
Old 06-06-2018, 04:26 AM
Jeanmarie97
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icarsoft cr plus doesn’t work with macan s

dear all,

i have got a Icarsoft cr plus and tried to open the rear brakes on my macan s 3/2016
msg faim to connect with car, many attempt no results, returned to seller
nothing will work on our macan , porsche has locked the access with succès and pity for us
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeanmarie97
dear all,

i have got a Icarsoft cr plus and tried to open the rear brakes on my macan s 3/2016
msg faim to connect with car, many attempt no results, returned to seller
nothing will work on our macan , porsche has locked the access with succès and pity for us
I guess you intentionally posted this in the Cayenne forum..

I have heard of quite a few problems with the icarsoft unit. I suspect the iCarScan would talk to your Macan since much of the design of the Cayenne was used to create the Macan. iCarSoft does have the ability (haven't done it - but it's in the menu) to put the rear electronic parking brake into the service position.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:25 AM
sailorjohn
3rd Gear

I just bought one, hooked it up today and cleared a code after I futzed around with the thing, it gives you basic error codes without any specific details. If I’m not mistaken the Durametric gives you the code with the explanation. It does look promising, it found my VIN and seems to be communicating with the Cayman, with the difference in price between the Durametric and the Schwaben I can buy a laptop-I have a MacBook-and not have spent any more money. Going to plug it in again tomorrow and see if I can pull up the fault code history for my car, see if anything else shows up.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:39 AM
sailorjohn
3rd Gear

Just arrived Saturday, tried it today, it recognized my vehicle, picked up the VIN and seemed to be communicating correctly. It showed an error code without an explanation so it’s up to the user to find out exactly what the code indicates, in my case I have an idea but I didn’t get a confirmation from the Schwaben, just the ability to get the code number and clear it, which I did. The original fault was the dreaded CEL light with no obvious symptoms, I think it’s a dirty O2 sensor. Still learning the thing, might play with it tomorrow and see if I can pull up the vehicle fault history. The only other thing I can mention is that the thing powers up automatically as soon as you plug it into the port but the power switch didn’t seem to power the thing down, just rebooted it. I ended up unplugging it from the port-twice-didn’t seem to harm the unit. And of course beyond the diagram of the button functions on the unit I didn’t read anything in the manual about powering the thing off. Will post updates from time to time, hopefully not too soon from now 😀
Old 06-12-2018, 03:05 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

You can also consider just using a VAG COM and VCDS with the Cayenne. There are a few modules that you can't connect to compared to a Durametric, but all the important ones you can. And the interface is excellent, more complicated maybe but more powerful. Most importantly it gives you full coding capabilities. So if a service reminder reset preset function doesn't work, you just go in and set the right counter to 0 and it is done (there is a detailed manual). I scan and reset all electric, engine and transmission codes, the transfer case and instrument cluster, stuff like that. You can't access things like the individual door electronics, and you can't level the headlights (but you can't do the headlights with Durametric either). You can also make detailed real-time logs that are easy to open up in Excel. I do my performance tuning like that, just leave the laptop running and go for a drive, then look at boost pressure versus RPM, speed, ignition advance or cam timing, things like that.

If you can find a used original one cheap, great. Don't get the cheap Chinese clones with cracked software, they are garbage. But there are places that sell a >$100 version that has a licensed chip and fully licensed software. You can't upgrade them with new software releases, but I use a 15.7.0 with my 2004 CTT and it is fine. You have to add a jumper wire with some years of Cayenne's (mine, soldered between pin 3 and 7) but not for others (2006).

Lowered my CTT with it until it looked like a drift racer!

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with the Schwaben Professional Porsche Scan Tool from ECS?