Gentlemen Please !

Have a great Thanksgiving

or whayever crazy people do

:-)
Old 11-26-2003, 09:55 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have Thanksgiving too. I know. I'm crazy myself.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:05 PM
mumanoff
Instructor

The dealers have received formal written notification about the problem and the fix for it about 2-3 weeks ago. Its not 100% but it is significant.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:13 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The carrier pigeon ran out of gas at Flemington so did not make it across the Delaware.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Happy Thanksgiving everybody......
Old 11-27-2003, 12:10 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Got my truck back yesterday after being at the dealer for a few problems. They performed "Throttle valve and kickdown adaptation" which makes the truck drive normally now. There was a Service Action W309 performed which was to switch out the Climate Control unit that would not display in the 12 hour format. I always was wondering why one could not get it to work like the clock on the dash. That part was ordered for future installation. I have the 03 S.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Good info, thanks
Old 12-08-2003, 10:04 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Default New Info

In another thread WCS wrote:
Some time back there was a thread about fixing the acceleration hesitation found in many of the earlier production cars. AFAIK the fixes are:

- Throttle valve and kickdown adaptation *TU 20*(DC24640110001)
- DME chip software update (eGas?)

Does anyone have updates on this and is there any specific bulletin published for this issue?

Thanks.
Several owners have had the update but we are very short on specific information about what is being done. Where did you get the info you posted above?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:35 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I can confirm throttle adaptation, this was a general call for all to be done "when next in shop".

The DME seems more like a re-flash on the firmware by the tool ( the Porsche equivalent of VAG-COM) rather than a production software update.

The software update discussed is to the tool itself to allow the shops to talk to our systems properly.

Much smoother.

No fix on mine yet for the Tiptronic "low speed cornering recovery" issue (this is my term).

Mike
Old 12-09-2003, 04:16 AM
WCS
Instructor

So to be specific, throttle adaptation is a general recall?

Supposedly chipping or replacing air filters will reduce or eliminate the lurching issue as well. Would throttle adaptation take away most of their benefits?

I read some mixed reviews of the BMC air filter (some reports claim it reduces high RPM output) so I'm reluctant to replace them.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:16 AM
WCS
Instructor

So to be specific, throttle adaptation is a general recall?

Supposedly chipping or replacing air filters will reduce or eliminate the lurching issue as well. Would throttle adaptation take away most of their benefits?

I read some mixed reviews of the BMC air filter (some reports claim it reduces high RPM output) so I'm reluctant to replace them.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:44 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I think the problem is reduced by the BMC filters, I have not seen any downside to them at all.

The problem remained that if you drive in commuter traffic with lots of start/stop situations (CA Freeways in rush hour) it is very difficult not to "lurch" forward as soon as you touch the gas pedal. The Cayenne uses a Drive-By-Wire system so what your actually moving is an actuator when you step on the gas. Therefore for every mm of travel of the pedal there is a proportionate amount of acceleration applied to the engine.

The DME tools used by the dealers were not able to address this part of the program initially, this modification allows the dealer to flash the program and correct the pedal so that you get a smoother proportionate increase in acceleration at low speeds. i.e. passanger not trying to head butt the windscreen every time you move off. Save you getting called for being an *** of a driver.

Anyone disagree of this description of the problem ?

No this is not regarded as a general recall issue because some people drive like bandits anyway and would not notice it.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Michael,

Your description is right on target. I dropped my Cayenne S off at Park Place this morning at 0700 for:

1) eGas Software Upgrade
2) Squealing brake pad replacement
3) Rear Washer Check Valve replacement
4) Oil change (I rolled into the dealer's driveway with the odometer reading 7502 miles!)
5) Factory tow hitch installation

WRT the hitch, it WAS on worldwide allocation for the last three weeks. Then suddenly one showed up last Friday. Sounds like Porsche's vaunted IT consulting group hasn't quite worked out the bugs on their SAP R/3 installation!

I may get the car back today. If so, I will post what I learn about the updates. Don't forget, this is the same dealer who advised that there were TWO software updates for the lurching issue.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:25 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thanks Toby I will be most interested if yours gets Tiptronic change, if so I would love the details to send to my dealer. To date they have not been able to ask the "right" question for Porsche to fess us to the "second" fix.

Mike
Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Mike,

Got my Cayenne back today. Your earlier assertion regarding the eGas update is dead on. It is NOT a software update on the control unit. Rather it is use of the PST2 tool to reset some stored bits in the DME. There is NO software update to the DME. And I have to say that it drives MUCH smoother now. I am very pleased with the update.

Found nothing on the Tiptronic update. The shop super did tell me that they are due to get a version 3 PST diagnostic tool next month. This new update will improve overall "discovery" of the Cayenne's control modules on the CAN-bus (39 of them!) and provide improved visibility into the stored bit settings maintained.

The other fixes applied were the rear washer check valve and the brake pad replacement (front and rear). They also performed the recall update on the fuse box sticker.

One final note....... if you have software upgrades performed, make sure that your dealer updates the log in your Maintenance book. My guys didn't even know there was such a log! I pointed them to pages 19 and 20 of our Maintenance book. DME upgrades and PCM upgrades should be logged here when performed. Ditto for any other control unit replacements or embedded software updates. Check your books before you leave the driveway!

Quick Reply: Lurching