Tip the Porsche Driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Mikek2s
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tip the Porsche Driver

Hope this is not a stupid question.

Should you tip the Dealership driver who picks up and delivers your vehicle back to you.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-06-2017, 01:36 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap way to have a guy take better care of my car...I'd do it. Would you tip a valet in a crappy way if you frequented the same restaurant/hotel/etc? Same principle
Old 03-06-2017, 09:57 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Cheap way to have a guy take better care of my car...I'd do it. Would you tip a valet in a crappy way if you frequented the same restaurant/hotel/etc? Same principle
I never valet. Screw those guys.

I might tip the service advisor a small amount at Xmas if he has gone above and beyond for me, and maybe the tech if I have a personal relationship with him and he takes excellent care of me. I'm not paying a guy to drive my car from the front of the building to the back when that is his specific job.

This tipping stuff is out of control. Maybe we all need to go back and watch the beginning of Reservoir Dogs.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Our 911 goes in twice a year for winter/summer wheel change and oil service. The same guy always comes to pic up/deliver the car. He’s an earnest fellow who always remembers that we don’t want the car washed, but a vacuum is fine. The master of the house, who over-tips everyone, gives him a really fat tip both when he picks up and delivers.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:01 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
I never valet. Screw those guys.

I might tip the service advisor a small amount at Xmas if he has gone above and beyond for me, and maybe the tech if I have a personal relationship with him and he takes excellent care of me. I'm not paying a guy to drive my car from the front of the building to the back when that is his specific job.

This tipping stuff is out of control. Maybe we all need to go back and watch the beginning of Reservoir Dogs.
I was assuming this was something around picking up the car from the house and then bringing it back, not in the service lane.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:01 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

You could be right - my mistake if that's the case. I've never had that service.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I've never thought to tip the dealership porter. I guess the same guy washes the car too so maybe I should tip him.

As far as valets go, I do valet since it means my car is usually parked up front which seems safer, I figure they couldn't drive it harder than I do, and valets have to eat too.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only one person within a dealership that you should be tipping is the service advisor. It is up to that one person as to whether or not your dealership experience will be a good one, and whether or not the dealership may cut you some slack on a non-warranty issue.

Typically, a good dealership service advisor can make upwards of $75K per year in base salary plus commissions. Once you've dropped off the car, their task is to keep the dealership profitable by flogging you with telephone calls warning you of bad wiper blades, worn tires, alignment issues and the usual list of profitable repairs. The conversion rate (especially with women) is surprisingly high.

Make it your mission to keep this guy or gal happy and you'll be happy too.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:00 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Tip the service advisor? That is a new one. I haven't tipped them through my 10 years of owning various Porsches. As for their turn over ratio, then my dealership is unique since the same service advisors have been around.

Quick Reply: Tip the Porsche Driver