Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any known reliability issues with the 957 NA V8 vs. the 957 TT? How about the 958?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Any known reliability issues with the 957 NA V8 vs. the 957 TT? How about the 958?

Sorry for the compound question, but I'm shopping and am hoping to really do my homework on these SUVs before pulling the trigger. I have owned two different 911s, and spent a lot of time on both the NA and the Turbo sections of this forum for the 997. There are known issues with the NA 997.1 that don't exist with the 997.2 (due to the engine change), and the Mezger in the 997TT is rock solid, but the coolant lines are a known weak spot and that's a $3K fix (or more) if they fail.

I'm looking for a similar "run down" on the various Cayennes so that I make a smart decision.

Right now I'm primarily shopping between the 957 GTS and the 957 TT. I prefer the looks and sound of the GTS all things being equal, but I'm curious as the the reliability and "known problems" between the two models. And, since the price range is about the same, I'm also considering a 958 S, particularly if the reliability is vastly improved from model years. I know the gas mileage is, but I kind of like the more "SUV" quality of the 957 over the 958.

Long story short, between the 957 GTS, 957 TT and 958 S, is there a clear winner with reliability or any known problems in those models that I should be aware of as a buyer?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:23 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

just get the turbo
Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Click the search button. This has been covered 1 million times.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,168 Likes on 3,932 Posts

For the biggest problem with early 958 V8s search WC22 campaign. 957s still have a coolant fitting glued into the back of the motor that should be replaced with a threaded version. Not much difference between the GTS and Turbo with respect to reliability and failures. GTS has better sound and a manual transmission available - turbos have better power. Get one with PDCC.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me there is no point in spending as much or more for a GTS unless you are holding out for the manual trans, or just do not like horsepower. Same basic engine, same basic issues. The turbo doesn't have any extra caveats over a GTS. Most are better equipped, cheaper and always faster. The kicker is the rare case of bore scoring which also can happen to any of the V8s.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should go drive them--the 958 and 957 are totally different cars. Interior is much updated on the 958, more like the Panamera. 957s can go offroad and have proper diff/low range capability (though that doesn't really matter to 85% of people).958 vs Turbo vs GTS I think you need to go drive them and then decide. It will likely be clear to you after what is the winner. GTS I do not understand the price premium either and would never pay it personally on the used market.

Search, though. Hundreds of threads with detailed breakdowns--all you need to do is search "subject only" in this forum for "reliability" and you will have an hour of reading distilled.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 PM
prosled8
Racer

Reliability and Porsche's is a crap shoot at best. Some do very well, I have... so far. The fact is, if you pay someone to maintain and repair your Cayenne, you will spend thousands each year. It will never have Toyota reliability, no way no how, not even close. Just to clear that up

When it breaks have back up transportation because you will likely wait for parts regardless.

The 957's S, GTS and TT all suffer from failed driveshaft supports bearings and guibo in the driveshaft. All will likely suffer the cooling leaks from the rear manifold fitting and plastic T under the intake. Pano roofs can be a maintenance issue in this generation. Coils will need replacement at some point. Lots of this stuff comes due between 60-100k miles. Lots of restoration work. I have adopted such a patient myself. Some was done for me, driveshaft, carbon cleaned from intake valves, rusted downpipes replaced. I have done the coolant leaks and am commencing on fluid changes this spring. Then you hope for good Porsche karma!

The early 958 has the WC-22 cam bolt issue, costs a couple grand to repair. Seems like some have been losing transfer cases and rear ends. Maybe more than should be failing. They are still a little new to know what some of the 60-100k mile repairs are going to be.

It is a crazy risk as a DD IMO. Super rewarding 99% of the time though. CPO is the only safe way to go. Most warranty companies will not touch my '08 CTT, even with under 70k miles. If they do, read the fine print and buckle up for the price quote.

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2017, 12:46 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Prosled8 is correct. You can not rely on a porsche as your only vehicle. It works out well, because most of us are car guys and have other machines in the stables, though.

Transfer cases have been dropping like flies in the 958's. I think it is only going to get worse as they get more miles under their belt. If you can't wrench yourself and the thought of separating with $2-4k every now and then at random is scary then don't buy a Cayenne out of warranty.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Also, motor mounts are an absolute bitch in the 957TT. They will eventually fail as you probably have seen with the 997 and when they go bad the engine has to be dropped on the turbo models to replace them. I haven't heard of any 958s that have worn out their mounts yet.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:45 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by prosled8
Reliability and Porsche's is a crap shoot at best. Some do very well, I have... so far. The fact is, if you pay someone to maintain and repair your Cayenne, you will spend thousands each year. It will never have Toyota reliability, no way no how, not even close. Just to clear that up

When it breaks have back up transportation because you will likely wait for parts regardless.

The 957's S, GTS and TT all suffer from failed driveshaft supports bearings and guibo in the driveshaft. All will likely suffer the cooling leaks from the rear manifold fitting and plastic T under the intake. Pano roofs can be a maintenance issue in this generation. Coils will need replacement at some point. Lots of this stuff comes due between 60-100k miles. Lots of restoration work. I have adopted such a patient myself. Some was done for me, driveshaft, carbon cleaned from intake valves, rusted downpipes replaced. I have done the coolant leaks and am commencing on fluid changes this spring. Then you hope for good Porsche karma!

The early 958 has the WC-22 cam bolt issue, costs a couple grand to repair. Seems like some have been losing transfer cases and rear ends. Maybe more than should be failing. They are still a little new to know what some of the 60-100k mile repairs are going to be.

It is a crazy risk as a DD IMO. Super rewarding 99% of the time though. CPO is the only safe way to go. Most warranty companies will not touch my '08 CTT, even with under 70k miles. If they do, read the fine print and buckle up for the price quote.

Good Luck
And that all pretty much sums it up right there!

Especially the part about Porsche versus Toyota reliability (as the current owner of both makes). Also the mention about waiting for parts...yeah...mine is at the dealer still after about three weeks now waiting on a new instrument cluster from Germany. <sigh>

Despite that I still love the thing though.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:00 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

First, let me say that I really appreciate those of you that took the time to answer my questions even though a lot of this information could have been found in a search. Having been on car forums for almost 20 years and having moderated a few of them, I understand how it is frustrating to see the same questions pop up time after time. I also understand that when searching, it is often more difficult than it should be to get exact answers to your questions. I've answered the same questions for new members many, many times before, for this very reason, so thank you to those that took the time.
Originally Posted by prosled8
Reliability and Porsche's is a crap shoot at best.

It is a crazy risk as a DD IMO.
Secondly, to the point, I appreciate the honesty. As a Porsche owner I know why so many love the brand. I truly believe I'll always have, or always want to have a Porsche of some sort in my garage. That said, my hesitancy to daily drive a used Porsche seems to be validated. These are great, great cars... but the reliability can be a crap shoot, and the maintenance is expensive. I've never had a Porsche as a daily, and I suppose there's a reason for that. When my 997TT is down for a week (or more), no big deal. I have a new Toyota that I daily drive. But if I were to sell the 997 and the Tacoma to consolidate into one Cayenne, I'd end up with a vehicle that may give me the same fits that my 997 gives me now at times. These are fantastic SECOND cars to own.

I am not decided on the topic yet, but I believe if I want to daily a Porsche, even a Cayenne, it may be better to buy or lease a new one rather than get a used one. Or, maybe my current plan is the best situation for me... daily drive the reliable Toyota, and save the Porsche for the fun weekends.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:19 AM
prosled8
Racer

Even though what I typed was pretty accurate, I wouldn't trade my CTT daily for a Tacoma under any circumstances. I was reminded of this while fixing the cooling system issues and having to drive a borrowed Tacoma for a couple of weeks.

Make the stretch for a CPO 958 CTT. That will give you great performance and piece of mind. Let the dealer arrange your rental and enjoy driving a Porsche every day (almost) LOL
Old 03-09-2017, 02:02 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been daily driving Porsches for over a couple of decades. They were always bought used. With the exception of an early CPO 955 that developed scored cylinders, I've been fortunate with them. I'm on my second 957. Oil/fluid changes/batteries/tires only.

If I followed everything I read on rennlist and ferrarichat, I would have missed out on some great driving and ownership experiences. I've also learned that life is too short to drive a boring car...especially as daily drivers in which you may spend considerable time driving.

"Reliability" issues can be mitigated by being proactive and prepared. To OP, good that you are doing due diligence. Hopefully, you get a balanced sampling from various owners. From my perspective, Porsches while imperfect can be great daily drivers.
The following users liked this post:
cubbyno9 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-09-2017, 04:33 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
life is too short to drive a boring car...
Hear hear. Some people may think we are nuts but I'd rather spend the money keeping an older interesting car on the road and enjoying driving it than a higher/similar annual out of pocket for a new and increasingly commoditized and computeresque vehicleBot

Quick Reply: Any known reliability issues with the 957 NA V8 vs. the 957 TT? How about the 958?