Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a Cayenne Turbo. 06TTs, or '08 TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tsitz
Alright now Im going nuts. Thinking about a 2009.... seems for the long run a better bet, if I can afford it.

Another question. If the car came off assembly WITHOUT a tow package, can it be put on ? I know my wife's volvo had issues with this .....
Yes. You can add the factory tow package. DIY it is about $1100.00 and an afternoon of work then a trip to the dealer for programming. Don't want to DIY, then the dealer will add it on for about $1800-$2200 parts and labor. I did it myself and later used the money I saved to have the dealer install a new water pump on my 06CTTS. Just didn't want to tackle that job and I wanted my cooling system thoroughly inspected.

I agree with Petza914 about the 09CTTS being the sweet spot right now, but life is real good in an 06 if you're willing to address the typical failure points and you don't mind the lack of connectivity with the outdated PCM.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Jealous much? I'd love to find the Jeremy Clarkson initial impression of the 955 series - something along the lines of "They took a 911 and blew it up, sort of like a blowfish.."
Jealous of what? I am mad at Porsche. I will get the next model Cayenne if they bring a few features back, even if they keep that fugly rearend. Let's be honest that no Cayenne to date will win any beauty contests.

Some of us actually use our vehicles to tow 5,000+lbs boats out of steep, private lake launches to dry dock them after use and haul various machines to remote riding/launch locations. Before you ask, yes I also have a modified truck for when conditions/terrain require it, but that isn't nearly as comfy.

I'd love to see a real honest survey of how many people who own 955's EVER put it in low range and went somewhere that way.. When I owned mine, I did it once to see what it did - and that was it. Never changed it again. I haven't missed it at ALL on my 958. It's a moot point. Non-issue. Bagatelle..
I am curious to see the poll myself. Just because you don't use features such as low range and rear hatch glass lifting does not mean others don't need them for various sports and activities.

Sounds like I hit a nerve that the 958 looks like a Japanese minivan from the back and neither of us like it. Instead of defending it, let's try to petition Porsche to fix it!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my 2005 CTTS (E81) for daily commuting when it rains, towing a 7000 pound travel trailer, and have taken it onto some mountain trails where I had to use the low range.
Huge smile in every above situation, and the only regret I have (besides the brake replacement costs...) is the measly 15 MPG.
But 15 MPG is better than the 8 MPG I get when towing. And off-roading. And hammering the accelerator...
But still smiling.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jealous much? I'd love to find the Jeremy Clarkson initial impression of the 955 series - something along the lines of "They took a 911 and blew it up, sort of like a blowfish.."
I broke my ankle and thus have been watching a lot of Amazon Prime lately and just saw this episode...basically he hated it so much that he left it sitting in a field and "walked home" and said it was like someone put a 911 in a microwave. I'm still looking forward to mine
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ventoGT
I broke my ankle and thus have been watching a lot of Amazon Prime lately and just saw this episode...basically he hated it so much that he left it sitting in a field and "walked home" and said it was like someone put a 911 in a microwave. I'm still looking forward to mine
That's hilarious. I'm going to watch that episode today. It's entertaining to go back and read old reviews and threads about the 955 when it was first introduced by Porsche. It caused quite a stir but I had no idea that Jeremy Clarkson hated it so much. Seems like he would have been a fan of the Cayenne because he once said that the 928 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

No disrespect to 928 owners. I've always liked them myself
Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember watching something about the creation of the Cayenne on TV 15 years ago or so and thinking what a cool idea. IIRC, they took a 911 4, added extensive skid plates, a lift and larger off-road tires. Then they tested it out in off-road environments. It performed extremely well.....well enough that they started building the Cayenne. I remember seeing it alongside jeep wranglers in the clip. Never thought I would actually own one down the road! I'll do some searching to see if I can find the video clip.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:35 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Yes. You can add the factory tow package. DIY it is about $1100.00 and an afternoon of work then a trip to the dealer for programming. Don't want to DIY, then the dealer will add it on for about $1800-$2200 parts and labor. I did it myself and later used the money I saved to have the dealer install a new water pump on my 06CTTS. Just didn't want to tackle that job and I wanted my cooling system thoroughly inspected.

I agree with Petza914 about the 09CTTS being the sweet spot right now, but life is real good in an 06 if you're willing to address the typical failure points and you don't mind the lack of connectivity with the outdated PCM.
Copy that thanks. I found one without a hitch, and I want a hitch.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:39 PM
tsitz
Instructor

After reading about a 590,000 mile 996tt, I began re-thinking my requirement that I need a low-mile Cayenne. Theres a 60K mile '09 for 34K, and a 103K mile one for 26K.

Well maintained, should I not fear miles? Impossible to answer I know, but if they can run for the long run, I am not planning on selling this thing anytime soon.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:57 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

After reading about a 590,000 mile 996tt, I began re-thinking my requirement that I need a low-mile Cayenne. Theres a 60K mile '09 for 34K, and a 103K mile one for 26K.

Well maintained, should I not fear miles? Impossible to answer I know, but if they can run for the long run, I am not planning on selling this thing anytime soon.
There are several threads for TTs that are in the 400K+ range. Seems they are long-term reliable assuming you keep up with the coils/plugs, coolant bits, starters, hatch struts, and electronics but the motors [except for the scored ones] seem relatively bulletproof.

Also, TT trucks over 100K should be low low 20s, like $20K-22K max for an 08-09 and $13-15K for an 05-06. $26K is more like a Turbo S price at that mileage, although I don't think the premium for Turbo S are worth it personally.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:06 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Those are a bit high, if you take your time and expand your search area you should be able to find lower priced ones.

Just a few months ago I got an 08 CTT PDCC with 64k for $26k with perfect PPI and great service records.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:27 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ventoGT
There are several threads for TTs that are in the 400K+ range. Seems they are long-term reliable assuming you keep up with the coils/plugs, coolant bits, starters, hatch struts, and electronics but the motors [except for the scored ones] seem relatively bulletproof.

Also, TT trucks over 100K should be low low 20s, like $20K-22K max for an 08-09 and $13-15K for an 05-06. $26K is more like a Turbo S price at that mileage, although I don't think the premium for Turbo S are worth it personally.
Hi they are TTS's....... sorry. They are also at dealers, so theyre retail. Id MUCH rather find a private sale.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:55 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Hi they are TTS's....... sorry. They are also at dealers, so theyre retail. Id MUCH rather find a private sale.
Be patient. I have decided unless I find a perfect dealer car for a good price close to me [within 200 miles], I'm going to sell my Audi first and then go after whatever best condition TT I can find. There was a recent awesome private 05 TT in Texas on the board that recently sold that I would have jumped on.

Tons out there, you can afford to be picky at your budget.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6007599952.html
Old 02-25-2017, 01:35 PM
tolbertiii
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey folks. First time poster. I've been thinking about a 955 TT. I have a lot to learn. The last truck I bought was a Dodge Ram and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Are those free CarFax listings useful? This '05 has one. Would it show that the coolant pipe issue has been fixed?

It's about 150 miles from me. What y'all think?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...lCode1=CAYENNE
Old 02-25-2017, 04:17 PM
tsitz
Instructor

One more question:
General price thoughts on an '09 CTTS with 70K miles in excellent condition with all service records, new brakes and tires, lots of options..... 35K too steep?

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a Cayenne Turbo. 06TTs, or '08 TT