Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer forgot to re-attach intake charge hoses, possible tie to TCU limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The courts are still out AFAIK - on lawsuits for defamation by businesses that are "slammed" publically on forums/websites/etc. While they might not win the lawsuit - your cost of defending yourself against it will mean they DO win. To them it's a business expense. To you - it's out of your pocket. So I'd exercise some caution before doing this.

What is somewhat defensible - is just an accurate recounting of what transpired. Even that could trigger a lawsuit (as should be obvious by our current climate - there is no real bar that must be crossed in order to file a lawsuit..)

If you really feel a need to ID them - then I'd suggest that you note that people can contact you privately for more information. That brings about a person to person exchange of opinions - making it much harder to show damages on the part of the business in question.

You also should probably consider posting what the independent finds is the cause of your problem. If indeed it is related to the original repair that the dealership made - then you have recourse with PCNA, with the BBB, and with a small-claims court to correct the charges by this dealership.

Disputing the credit-card billing might bounce back at you in a reduced credit rating, and chances are the credit-card company is going to side with the dealership since it can't be shown as an erroneous or fraudulent charge. The dealer can make the case to the credit card company that you did receive the service that you were charged for - and any further problems aren't related to that work.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:51 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaroneous
Blowing the charge hose put you into transmission limp mode or engine limp mode?
It put me into everything limp mode. The orange 4wd light came on, check engine light, you name it. It was a cacophony of beeps and warnings. Engine wouldn't even idle. I just stumbled into a nearby parking lot and it died.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Aaroneous
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It's funny, all of the legal input started coming simultaneously from both Rennlist and lawyer friends by whom I had run the scenario in passing. I had already written out all of the (ridiculous) events that occurred throughout this service experience and was ready to brawl. Having *just* downloaded the district court complaint form and started looking into the BBB complaint process, the service manager called to say that he test drove the car for 20 minutes, it was totally fine, and to come pick it up "ASAP".

Went and picked it up and I could tell within 30 seconds that the problem was fixed. Felt like a brand new car. Flashing the new software, resetting adaptations, and (possibly) disconnecting and reconnecting electrical connectors in the TCU loom completely fixed the problem. I am only about 60 miles into having the truck back, so I have a few tanks of gas to go through before I am 100% satisfied the problem is gone, but I'm cautiously optimistic. It may just be an illusion, but with the new software and fresh adaptations, the truck feels MUCH faster from 0-30 than it ever has. Needless to say, I fell in love with it again.

While my satisfaction criteria were ultimately met, I'm still very disappointed with the way it was handled by the dealer. They were content to send me on my way with a quote to replace a transmission that hadn't failed without completely exploring all avenues to come to that diagnosis. I had to point them in the direction of what could be wrong and, ultimately, I was right... and they never acknowledged it or apologized or anything - just told me to get my car "ASAP" and "move on". At the end of the day, they never actually acknowledged that the issue was their fault.

I'm not going to name them on here - if anyone local is trying to pick a place to get their work done, I'd be happy to recommend an indie shop in the area via PM.

Thank you so much for the input, all, this would have been much harder to handle alone.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Not too many dealers in Denver. Easy to figure out which one it is if any of you guys are curious
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome that it turned out well, and silly that hubris would cause a business owner/GM to take the **** on a potential long term customer. Regardless, glad the truck is running right, and now you know where never to take the P!G back to
Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't understand why/how posting the name of the dealer took place would open anyone up to legal problems. If everything you posted is factually correct. They have zero grounds for any retribution. People leave reviews on businesses all day long on yelp, google, etc.

Screw these dealerships with their bad business practices. Had you not got alternate advice you would have incurred huge expense for a new transmission at their profit for no reason.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:47 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I don't understand why/how posting the name of the dealer took place would open anyone up to legal problems. If everything you posted is factually correct. They have zero grounds for any retribution. People leave reviews on businesses all day long on yelp, google, etc.

Screw these dealerships with their bad business practices. Had you not got alternate advice you would have incurred huge expense for a new transmission at their profit for no reason.
Then you didn't read what I said.

I didn't say he was going to loose a lawsuit for defamation - but he'd have to PAY out of his pocket to defend himself against one.

There is no test for legitimacy before a lawsuit is filed. Any large multi-store dealership is going to have attorney's on retainer - does the person complaining have that? The reviews on Yelp/Google are generally anonymous in nature, and Yelp and Google DO have attorneys to address any lawsuits that might arise. The description given here about his treatment and what went on could identify him by simply showing the thread to the service manager.

Lawsuits are frequently used to intimidate people (see our current POTUS) simply because the large corporation CAN at little expense to themselves put a single guy in a world of financial hurt.

There are other paths to take first: Reports to PCNA, BBB and filing a claim in small-claims court are effective and safe. The dealership is not going to let it get to small-claims because they know that a judgement against them can result in bad publicity, so they'll do what's necessary to satisfy the person.

There is still some "freedom of speech" in the US - but there are also court cases that put consequences into some speech. Use some common sense and don't encourage people to fly off the handle in rage.

As far as the transmission replacement suggestion - never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. And that's exactly what the dealer would claim - they "made a mistake.." Without proof otherwise (say a recording of two dealer people talking about how they were going to rip the guy off) - that actually is a valid excuse. (Sometime if I have a lot of time, I'll tell the tale about how I got a valve job and head gasket for free on my Jag XKE because - two shop people WERE overheard by multiple witnesses about how they were going to rip me off. They weren't happy about that.)
Old 02-06-2017, 03:40 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

O/P - glad this all worked out for you in the end.

Really there is no "service" left at a dealership. Unless you have OEM factory warranty. It seems the owner is responsible for all diagnostic and repair.
Sounds like all you issues went away with reboot and re-flash. Microsoft 101 rule. What a drag.
Now go drive and smile
Old 02-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lesson learned here, NEVER go to the dealership with older used car for any type of service. You will get bent, service will be sub-par, and "Have you considered trading your car in?" will be delivered to you. SA will explain how your car is about to start breaking down constantly and perfectly driving car you brought in, is actually a total POS that's about to explode.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Hmm. Not really true. I get a 10% discount on parts/labor at the dealer since I'm a PCA member. That makes their labor rate the same as an independent shop. Parts prices are similar too.

At the dealer they send me home in a brand new Cayenne and wash/vacuum mine. I don't have to ask a friend or family to follow me to the shop then take me home, then take me back there when my car is done.

My Cayenne gets worked on by a tech that literally has the same vehicle as me. My service advisor is my friend and fellow PCA/Rennlist member. Both have done great work for me and never steered me wrong.

I get OEM parts/service at a very similar (if not the same) price as an independent as both use book time for jobs but the convenience of the dealer is totally worth it.

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to re-attach intake charge hoses, possible tie to TCU limp mode?