Sponsored by:

Looking for extra set of turbo or turbo S wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by albertlee9
Just bought a 2014 cayenne turbo S. Looking for extra set so I can mount my winter tires when summer comes. ( just bought and mounted my stock wheels on for the winter). Not looking to spend a lot, and don't want any aftermarket wheels...thanks..
I don't have anything to offer you other than to say that I *LOVE* that two-tone red/black interior!

Good friend of mine just bought a Macan with a similar interior and I can't get enough of it!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:12 PM
albertlee9
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks,i hesitated, but glad I went forward. Really hot interior. Away from the typical black or tan..
Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I don't really understand why it snowed here - I bought/put snows on, started the snowblower, got the shovels out, put scrapers in the cars. Those actions normally give us a snow-free winter.
I almost bought new shovels. It snowed. I should have gotten them...
Old 01-09-2017, 02:00 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by albertlee9
I like the 21" winter tires. In Annapolis the winters are mild compared to Baltimore and Washington DC. For my needs they work well. I have a range rover hse supercharge will full size all seasons and they've been great the last 7 yrs. So for my purposes the 21" winters will work fine. Plus they look a lot better than the smaller wheel size for the winter tires. Interesting comments on this thread. Thank you all for the suggestions. I have some leads for some nice 21's. We will see what happens...
True, Annapolis does tend to get less snow accumulation. Still sees the same amount of winter precipitation and the resulting freeze/thaw pothole issues though. That's my biggest concern with low profile winter tires. That and more generous rubber saves from a rim hit transferring damage into the suspension. Few things I hate more than having to waste time getting tire and/or alignment work done because of crappy road conditions. Granted, if I drove slower I'd probably have more chance of avoiding them... but where's the fun in that?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM
John Rose
Advanced

I have a set of 21inch from my turbo i will be selling. They are 5 spoke silver . All have some curb rash which I have dressed up and now look ok . I would let them go for $600 and you pay shipping from California . You can mail me at jjdjrose@gmail.com
Old 01-16-2017, 12:44 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 668 Posts

I was in the same position as you albertlee9, and I live in Annapolis too.

But since I take my '12 CTT out onto the sand / Hatteras Outer Banks NC for my spring Kiteboarding trips, I went with 19" for my winter set. Just put them on 2 weeks ago. I definitely notice a difference in the cornering & tire roll (exit/entrance ramps), but it's winter with cold asphalt, so I don't push it much now anyway. It's my 2 months out of the year to chill while driving.

I see your point of wanting to have same size rims for convenience of swapping,... but once you mount them up & use them up, when are you really going to ever do that?

=Steve
Old 01-16-2017, 01:27 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
But since I take my '12 CTT out onto the sand / Hatteras Outer Banks NC for my spring Kiteboarding trips, I went with 19" for my winter set.
How low do you 'air down' the tire pressure for the sand?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:29 PM
albertlee9
Track Day

The cayenne had summer tires on it. So i just put the winter tires (P's) it. Runs well, but i will put the summer tires on it middle march..I've got a lot of offers for 21" wheels, so to have the winter tires mounted, would be nice. Easy change after winter. I'm glad i can get an extra set without spending a lot of money...Nice 911, love the color and wheels...
Old 01-16-2017, 01:31 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I see your point of wanting to have same size rims for convenience of swapping,... but once you mount them up & use them up, when are you really going to ever do that?
To me the downside to trying to use the same rims is the additional 'handling' they have to go through every time they're swapped. You depend a lot on the quality of work (operator skills) being done here. The tires have to be pulled off the rims with a machine.. Rim and tire bead involved here. Likewise pressed back on with a machine. Then each one has to be rebalanced. Which requires someone removing the old weights, potentially gouging the rims in the process. Or, worse, leaving them in place and adding more weights. Eventually leading to on-going balance issues and pointless expensive tire and suspension wear because of it.

Weights can fall off and tires potentially wear unevenly. If you have someone come out to swap them it's likely they'll have a balancing machine on their truck. It's worth having them checked periodically.

Sure, a whole set of additional rims is an added expense... one time. It's not like bare rubber is going to store in any smaller a space than mounted sets.

Upside is you get to have a different look for a while. I kinda like my Sport Classics for winter.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

^20-28psi for sand is ideal...
Old 01-16-2017, 01:41 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wkearney99
To me the downside to trying to use the same rims is the additional 'handling' they have to go through every time they're swapped. You depend a lot on the quality of work (operator skills) being done here. The tires have to be pulled off the rims with a machine.. Rim and tire bead involved here. Likewise pressed back on with a machine. Then each one has to be rebalanced. Which requires someone removing the old weights, potentially gouging the rims in the process. Or, worse, leaving them in place and adding more weights. Eventually leading to on-going balance issues and pointless expensive tire and suspension wear because of it.

Weights can fall off and tires potentially wear unevenly. If you have someone come out to swap them it's likely they'll have a balancing machine on their truck. It's worth having them checked periodically.

Sure, a whole set of additional rims is an added expense... one time. It's not like bare rubber is going to store in any smaller a space than mounted sets.
Agree on all...once you have done the on-off-on-off winter tire, it makes WAY more sense to have a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires. The other upside is that salty roads etc tend to do a number on the wheels, not to mention potholes, scuffs, etc so you can run around with cheaper winter wheels and not feel as **** about them, and have the summers super nice. Best of both worlds, if a bit of added expense.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 668 Posts

Agree with all. My 2 sets are great to swap when I am good-&-ready (in my garage). No extra handling ensures no extra gouging when they clamp down on the rims. Sounds like albertlee9 wants two sets of rims too, so I do not believe that is in question for him. It's just the TWO sets of 21" that most here are debating. Personal preference in this region (winters are cake).

I like having my 21" with summer rubber, and 19" with all-seasons. I air-down to 22 lbs on my 19" for the deep sand on the Oceanside.

If I'm just on hardpack "jeep" access roads for soundside kiting, I don't need to go quite that low.
=Steve
Old 01-16-2017, 05:47 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dilberto
^20-28psi for sand is ideal...
Are you carrying anything to bring them back up to road pressure? That was always the complication with my Jeep. Remembering to bring along a decent compressor... and hope it was still working by the time all four were aired back up. Fried more than a few harbor fright cheap ones. Misplaced others...
Old 01-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

If it has air suspension, there's a compressor built in. The 955 has an outlet and an air line with a tire inflator.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
If it has air suspension, there's a compressor built in. The 955 has an outlet and an air line with a tire inflator.
Oh right, forgot about that feature.

While I have the air suspension, it no longer has an open compressor port. The expandable spare has a compressor but I'd rather not wreck it for doing whole sets of tires and have it fail when needed.

Quick Reply: Looking for extra set of turbo or turbo S wheels