Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Spies: What's wrong with the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
Agreed : 3rd row of seats is not needed with this type of car (maybe a Porshe BUS next time?). In my opinion C is already too heavy...

The cost might be lower or it should have more options as standard.
Nearly 1k$ for ParkAssist which is few LEDs plus audio signal is a robbery. See new 5er BMW's NAVI integrated ParkAssist display, that's worth 1k$.
BMW X5 is not a good comparison overall:

It's a SAV, a high sedan - as a result it's lighter. It might have some bells & whistles that are more attractive, but it could barely tow my mother in law.

It's off road capabilites are minimal.

If you're in the market for bells & whistles the Pepper is probably not cost effective.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:16 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

Torags I must respectfully differ on the towing capabilities of the X5. I have been frankly amazed at its ability to my 993 with trailer to various venues along the East Coast. It's a stable powerful platform that has proven to be much better than I initally expected. It shrugs off hills and crosswinds with ease and I occasionally find myself doing 80 or more and really have to watch it.

I've never taken it off road and never plan to so I can't vouch for any abilities in that area- but with the 19 inch wheels and tires I'm sure it's next to worthless.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Hi Geo... I thought the tow capacity was 3500lb on the X5. I have only seen class 2 hitches on them.

Sounds like a 4500lb load+/- (3000+1500?). I don't know the specs but the wheelbase looks small. Do you get any front end - lift or float?
Old 11-07-2003, 02:51 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

It's 6000 for the V8 and 5000 for the six I think. I was concerned that the relatively short wheelbase would not give it the stability it would need but it turned out to be fine. I was also concerned about the monocoque structure but that has been a non-issue too. I'm probably towing about 4300 pounds with car, trailer and wheels and junk. There are two or three other X owners I usually see at track events and they are equally happy. Haven't met any Cayenne owners yet but I'm sure I will next year.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 906 Likes on 533 Posts

The X5 did not tow any where near as well as my Tahoe and the Cayenne tows better than my 2002 Tahoe. Besides my X5 being a total POS that the dealer could not keep running, I got rid of the X5 and went to a Tahoe for better towing capabilities. Amazingly, I notice the boat's presence less behind the Cayenne than I did behind the Tahoe. The Cayenne's brakes are increbile when in tow. It was pretty easy to lock X5's fronts when trying to stop quickly with my boat. I have also had the front lock on the X5 when backing my boat down steep wet ramps. Not fun when you consider you lose all steering when the fronts lock and a boat is pulling you down a ramp. Its either slam it into drive or go off the side of the ramp unless going straight back. I have had Cayenne on the same crappy ramps with no problems.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

George's post educated me as to the X5 tow capability. I've never owned one, but I can compare the Pepper to my Jeep (& not even consider the Explorer- bad news).

I second what Doug says about the Cayenne, with this addition. The air suspension takes the wiggle out of the rear end when hitting road bumps - while towing. Torgue is great at high altitudes with the load.

I'm very pleased. But if I didn't tow, I wouldn't buy such a heavy vehicle.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 906 Likes on 533 Posts

I have towed with one of those souped limited eddition Jeep Cherokees and it was way too light. Worst on the list of towing vehicles I have owned, but it all fairness, it probably had by far the lowest towing capacity of any SUV I have owned.

BTW, I don't have air suspension. I bought from the lot and my comments above are inapplicable to an air suspension vehicle. I would have gotten air suspension if I would have ordered.

I have a pretty heavy tounge weight and the Cayenne stays nicely leveled with just the springs.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:57 AM
911pepper

Yes, you can compare VW to any car - NOT too encouraging when you see all the standard features with VW!!

http://www.vw.com/touareg/compare.htm
Old 11-08-2003, 01:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That comparison thing is interesting. It shows the list of stuff that's included in the Touareg whereas Mr Porsche has his hand out.
But some things (like cargo volume) just didn't make sense, so I question the whole comparison, plus they mark this as "unavailable" that surely are available (eg. floor mats)

Back to the thread topic, I think AutoSpies should ask the question "What's wrong with AutoSpies?" I think their content and quality of timely new information has gone to the dogs, plus they now spend too much time promoting their own wonderful services.

As for the Cayenne, it seems to be selling, the discounts are enormous, but at least I'm starting to see them on the road. Two months ago, it was a very rare sight.

I think the V6 is a good idea, at least for Europe, as would be a diesel, but the pathetic power they've offered in the V6 is a joke.

Once the face-lift '05 model comes along with hopefully a few more horses in the V8 and the 6-spd option, I could be tempted.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:29 AM
TaTaPiRaTa
Intermediate

Yes! Diesel for europe, like 400HP V8 and 250HP V6 would do.

Quick Reply: Auto Spies: What's wrong with the Cayenne?