Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Spies: What's wrong with the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 12:01 AM
BenLee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The article explains that the only reason the Cayenne didn't win was because of price even though the whole point of the article was on high priced SUVs It easily outhandled AND outaccelerated the competition after 100 mph. Why these guys only focus on 0-60 is beyond me. Besides, these tests are always biased. For once, at least they handed it to an American car. And talk about ugly - the Cadillac is supposed to be good looking... and the FX45?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:54 AM
GM Austin
Pro

I believe the Cayenne problems mentioned by AutoSpies could be cured by Porsche dealers placing more ads on AutoSpies. Infiniti dealers do and the FX has no problems on AutoSpies.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:02 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting observation GM, since they started with all the advertising everything became pointless. they even quote stuff from the boards on there ! original - na.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:27 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

Any defensive Cayenne owners out there??? Or is this a board that countenances absolutely no criticism of the Cayenne? (it being the most perfect vehicle in the world because a-I bought one, b- I paid list, and c- It's a Porsche. Porsche. Porsche.)

Me thinks many of you are a bit touchy. The Autospies article makes some good points- I don't agree with all of them but that doesn't mean the poster was a troll or that we should all go buy a Cadillac.

With discounts, the Cayenne is selling for very close to the price of the VW and as it is now it's the dealerships that are feeling that pain. The marketplace is speaking folks- Porsche is not getting away with asking a premium base price and even more ridiculous prices for options for a car whose looks don't exactly stir the soul and whose performance is largely mirrored by the "people's car" down the street selling for tens of thousands less.

The VW dealer wants a premium for his V8- and the Porsche dealer can't wait to knock thousands off the price if only you'll take it today. Those of you who did pay list may not like the situation but it is what it is.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 AM
JeffES
Pro

VW wants a premium, true - what dealer doesn't - but they are not getting "premiums". One may see "ADM" stickers on many VW's in the Mid Atlantic region, but that does not mean a thing. I know two Toureg V8 owners, and both respective dealerships did the same old "song & dance" routine. Besides, there's good inventory of Touregs, and sales are strong, and so are the Cayenne's. There is no, and I repeat - no - evidence of cross shopping above a very marginal level.
Of course there are defensive Cayenne owners - just as there are 993, 964, 356, 911, 914, 944, and other model owners! To say otherwise and then show "proof" is a bit of a straw man, though - go to the 993 board and bring up a similar level of comment & you'll see vitriol!
Time to let it go - the Cayenne is here, it's selling well, and it's paying the bills whilst sports cars are in a bit of a down cycle. A few years from now when sports cars are again "hot", the Cayenne will fall low on the "radar screen". Meanwhile, I'll drive my Boxster & await the arrival of the Cayenne on order, and 5 years from now I'll read the rantings of those saying "see, the Cayenne isn't selling as well as .... (fill in the blank)... and I'll smile as I drive past them.

J
Old 11-05-2003, 11:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by Skytop
Magnafluxed and with forged inner sole protector, long life ductile rubber tread compound.
pro-walkers-- heat cycled and shaved here....

As my wife and I will be in the market for an SUV of some sort next year, we will consider the Touareg (Outrage, if you mix up the letters) and the Pepper. My pref. would be the pepper, mostly because I would think the service would be better than VW's reputation. I speak with first hand knowledge re: VW's service. But, even an S will prolly be out of our price range. My wife (and partially myself) really like the XC90, which is maybe more practical, but what IS practical these days?
Old 11-05-2003, 11:51 AM
JeffES
Pro

It's tough to go wrong w/ the XC90 - even though it's dropped off of the radar a bit. IMO, it's a much better "overall value" than the Freelander, Disco, or other smaller 'utes.
J
Old 11-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto Spies: What's wrong with the Cayenne?

Some thoughts.

1. It's ugly

Looks are purely subjctive. With the exception of the taillights I like the way it looks.

2. It's too expensive

It's still cheaper than BMW X5 or Mercedes with the same sort of power.

3. It needs a third row seat

Why? So you can put kids in the vehicle's rear crush zone? Thrid row seating is a marketing ploy. I have several friends that bought an SUV because of the third row, and most have never used it.

4. Performance should absolutely kill everything else in the category but it doesn't.

Name 5 SUVs that can accelerate like the Cayenne, handle autocross like the Cayenne, handle offroad like the Cayenne, brake like the Cayenne, and tow as much as the Cayenne.

Well, the absolute insult of insults was just handed to the Cayenne...

It LOST in this month's Car and Driver comparison to the CADILLAC SRX!!!

HELLO????

Only because the Caddy is cheaper. And it's cheaper because it's based on existing GM vehciles. If it was 100% brand new from the ground up, it would be significantly more expenisve.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:14 PM
George from MD
Drifting

I think a lot of people will cross shop Cayenne and VW as well as others. I know I will (along with the X5, RR and maybe even, God forbid for I think it is a TRULY UGLY GM POS- the Cadillac). I also think VW and Porsche are doing their best to minimize those comparisons- note that VW's website does not allow comparisons between Toureag and the Porsche but does allow one to compare the T to most other SUVs out there.

Locally we have a much better VW dealer than Porsche dealer (and I'm sure the situation is reversed for most everyone else). At any rate for me the quality of the local dealer and the service I can expect to receive are a pretty big factor in the buying decision.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:00 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

The whole freaking line of caddys are ugly. the square headlights
etc etc. i think Caddillac is completely lost. I read that article and
it was not well done. They have all kinds of useless categories
to let the authors manipulate the score however they want. The
Cayenne is not how I would have done it, but it is pretty darn good
for an SUV.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't know if you guys have seen the cadillac commercial with the srx with the lady passenger waving her hands kinda daydreaming. She's probably dreaming "He can have his SRX, I want my Cayenne" : ). Regards. Mike
Old 11-05-2003, 01:43 PM
George from MD
Drifting

I might complain about the Cayenne's styling but Cadillac really sets me off. In fact all of GM does.

Cadillac's squared edges, bulbous proportions, oversized grilles and incredibly large bumpers are hideous. Contrast what they have now with, say, a 57 Eldorado or 62 DeVille.

What is ironic and sad to me is that GM, IMO, once made some of the most beautiful cars in the world. I really can't think of a single good looking car in the entire current line up. The "new" Holden/GTO is at best not offensive (like an Aztek, for example) but even Australians consider it bland and dated.

Not even a Corvette is attractive IMO opinion any more- huge on the outside (esp. the rear), small on the inside, a dated RX7 that STILL sports pop up headlights.

Sorry I got a little started there....
Old 11-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by George from MD
Locally we have a much better VW dealer than Porsche dealer (and I'm sure the situation is reversed for most everyone else). At any rate for me the quality of the local dealer and the service I can expect to receive are a pretty big factor in the buying decision.
I second that George, that's the reason I paid the premium for the S. You don't want to have a service problem for the first three years of ownership of a brand new vehicle.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

hmm,
I agree with the Front end styling remark - I personally think it is ungainly. I generally think it is a little bland but it's a truck, the rear view is good IMHO.
3rd row seats - how cares - took them out of my Landcruiser
over priced - not really - carefully optioned it should be 61-65K, all in all not too bad for a P-Car and a 340hp truck.

Autospies - Ho-hum they went down hill when they found out they could make money selling advertising - i really hate all the ads and Buy this service crap.

My 2 cents. Guess I'll go play on my own board but there is nowbody on the 356 board anymore
Old 11-06-2003, 04:53 PM
TaTaPiRaTa
Intermediate

Agreed : 3rd row of seats is not needed with this type of car (maybe a Porshe BUS next time?). In my opinion C is already too heavy...

The cost might be lower or it should have more options as standard.
Nearly 1k$ for ParkAssist which is few LEDs plus audio signal is a robbery. See new 5er BMW's NAVI integrated ParkAssist display, that's worth 1k$.

Quick Reply: Auto Spies: What's wrong with the Cayenne?