Sponsored by:

3.2 VR6 Alternator Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM
ubermich
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 VR6 Alternator Options

First, it looks like the 150A alternator was only available on '04/'05 and was air-cooled. Is that correct?

Second, if that is correct that means if I have a water-cooled '06 alternator it must be the 190A?

Third, has anyone switched back to air-cooled? I have a base model with no extra accessories and would really prefer to do without coolant flowing through my alternator if at all possible. (As much as I enjoy electrolysis, lacking it is more enjoyable.)
Old 12-29-2016, 05:50 PM
ubermich
Advanced

Just a quick update since this seems to have a lot of views:

This one DOES work with some minor modification. http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...?checkfit=true

I took pics along the way and will post them later (or tomorrow). The short of it is:
You have to get an elbow or piece of pipe to connect the coolant hoses together.
You have to modify the connector primary retainer slightly (the notches are in the wrong position).
You have to bend the B+ cable slightly (or I suppose you could replace it with the one from the '05 TReg).

Will update with pics and any further findings after more test drives.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

ubermitch - was the autozone a rebuilt or new? In the BMW world, people have amazingly bad luck with Autozone and most of the other big-box-parts-store rebuilds. After the 3rd or 4th replacement (free of course - but the labor isn't) they usually just take a refund and get a factory replacement.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:53 PM
ubermich
Advanced

All of the alternators for the V6 955 are rebuilt. Even the ones at the dealer. Any part with an "X" at the end is reman. This one from Autozone is rebuilt, but it is labelled Bosch with a Made in Hungary sticker. It was also not painted silver like the domestic rebuilt units I usually get.

I've had pretty good luck with all of the alternators I've received from AZ/OReilly. And now that I don't have to mess with the coolant lines, if I do have to replace it again it will be that much easier/faster. It's gone from a garage job to a parking lot job. (Needed: 1 spare bolt, 13mm socket/ratchet, flathead screwdriver, allen wrench.) If I do have to re-replace it I'll definitely post that here too. I'm not trying to proclaim this as the most awesomest solution to a problem nobody has, just saying it's a possibility.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The "rebuilt" Bosch made in Hungary may actually be a brand new alternator - labeled Rebuilt. Bosch has been known to do this apparently so it doesn't appear they're undercutting the dealers much higher prices. It is the silver painted "rebuilt" ones that are worrisome - it appears all they really do is silver paint them, or perhaps replace a bearing if one is noisy, then repaint them.

Good luck with this one!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 PM
jasebird
Rennlist Member

Petey daddy....congrats!!!! Myself and a handful of close friends built that car originally( my son Lawson named it Clementine). When you get the carbs in synch it's an absolute monster and fun to drive. If you have any questions feel free to reach out .

Quick Reply: 3.2 VR6 Alternator Options